Intervista - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Intervista Reviews

January 15, 2013
A meta look at Fellini's career is a delightful trip through the Italian studios and breaks down the fourth wall a lot. Not as strong as a lot of his movies but is good for a director very late in his career.
December 15, 2012
Strange, but warmhearted reminiscence of days gone by in the life and career of Federico Fellini.
December 5, 2012
My first Fellini was really disappointing, Maybe it wasn't a good choice to watch this before his other movies
May 21, 2012
Pure fascination! All Fellini's lovely fixations get together. It's more like a documentary rather than a film.
Bunch of likable misfits hanging out for no apparent reason, but Fellini's presence addresses them to happiness and nostalgia.
February 27, 2012
I loved it. I love Fellini, so I'm easy to please. This one is now among my favorites by Fellini.
½ December 29, 2011
It's a shame "Intervista" wasn't Federico Fellini's last film, because it would have been a perfect farewell. Mostly autobiographical, it features the director himself as a prominent onscreen player.

Fellini described the film as an informal chat among friends, and "Intervista" indeed has an enjoyably meandering, conversational structure. Not just a movie-within-a-movie, it even becomes a movie-within-a-movie-within-a-movie.

A chirpy Japanese crew maneuvers to interview Fellini as he shoots a retelling of Franz Kafka's "Amerika." He soon introduces actor Sergio Rubini, who will be portraying Fellini as a young man. Fellini advises a makeup girl to add a pimple to Rubini's nose for comic effect, but a short time later, the pimple is "real" and Rubini is dramatizing Fellini's memories of visiting a major Italian film studio for the first time. Innocent, awestruck Fellini sees various scenes being shot and eventually has trivial dressing-room dialogue with an aging movie queen. Once that section closes, the narrative moves to backstage sequences including a depiction of how Fellini casts his legendary "faces," a surreal attack by Indians wielding TV antennas instead of spears and, most touchingly, a reunion between Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg. Twenty-seven years have passed since the two splashed in a fountain during a famous "La Dolce Vita" scene, and Ekberg is much heavier and no longer a hot property. Of course, Mastroianni has become a superstar, but Ekberg shows no competitive bitterness. Their misty-eyed viewing of the old footage -- their tears require no acting, I'm sure -- is usually cited as "Intervista"'s highlight.
June 17, 2011
I haven't seen other Fellini's works (gasp!) but I love the chaos and randomness in this. Can't stop laughing throughout the film.
April 5, 2011
(** 1/2): Thumbs Down

I liked some moments but this is not as good as many of Fellini's other works.
½ January 14, 2011
Late-period Fellini shows that he had lost none of his magic, even if his financiers may have thought so, since the lower budget as all to apparent. But it rises above with moments of raucous energy and quiet beauty that are pure Fellini. Not on the level of his earlier masterpieces for a number of reasons, but a nostalgic ode to cinema by one of its masters.
June 10, 2009
Meta-textual mockumentary works as many kinds of narrative. Best viewed as a valedictory and a collection of things remembered. Fellini's last masterpiece.
½ February 25, 2009
Great movie/docu of the great director Federico Fellini, i love the style which looks a bit like Roma, but better, much better, this nostalgic documentary style movie is wonderfull. With a great performance by Mastroianni, great movie.
November 3, 2008
A meta look at Fellini's career is a delightfu trip through the Italian studios and breaks down the fourth wall a lot. Not as strong as a lot of his movies but is good for a director very late in his career.
arashxak
October 27, 2008
August 22, 2008
One of Fellini's most chaotic and self-indulgent films, but I loved every second of it. Last time I made the attempt to count it seemed like this film is about 7 movies in one (if you count the showing of La Dolce Vita of course).
May 1, 2008
A great movie about a great moviemaker.
March 24, 2008
I am not a huge Fellini fan but the segment in which Marcello Mastroianni meets up (after many years) with Anita Ekberg at her Italian villa is quite moving.
March 6, 2008
crazy humans! A remake of La Dolce Vita, but not as nihilistic or sad in the end.
February 5, 2008
More brilliance from Fellini. This film messes with time like no other. It blew my mind.
December 20, 2007
Brilliant. A film within a fim within a film. The director makes a movie about his own thoughts, masquerades it as a quasi-docuemntary, and, in the process, makes a movie about making movies. ONe of my favorite.
December 16, 2007
Interview - inner landscape. The lead actor in this film is film itself. Far from intellectual parade showing off, this work of self reflection contains some most moving scenes Fellini has made.