Into the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the Woods Reviews

November 9, 2016
Bernadette Peters will always be the Witch. Meryl Streep wasn't that good, as well as that movie adaptation. The play was excellent and I highly recommend that people see this version of the play.
½ July 14, 2016
The worst movie ever! So bloody terrible
½ April 15, 2016
My sister loved this and got me interested. It was a bit long, but certainly memorable.
½ March 27, 2016
This is actually a video recording of a staged production of the Sondheim musical featuring the original Broadway cast tat was made for TV broadcast. As such, the cinematography leaves a lot to be desired and the camera work is a little clunky at times, however, the sheer brilliance of the cast shines though and transcends any such issues. Bernadette Peters is superb in the role of the witch who tasks a childless baker and his wife to obtain a series of magical ingredients for a spell to lift the curse placed on them. The clever story by James Lapine draws on a multitude of characters from the fairytales of the Brothers Grimm who all become embroiled on the plot. As their stories are intertwined they gradually have to come to terms with tragedy and loss as well as the realisation that gaining your heart's desire may not result in the happiness expected. This is my favourite musical and I've seen it performed several times. This version is still the benchmark by which I measure the productions that I've seen and is hard to beat. Whilst it is true that the Meryl Streep movie version is slicker and glossier, this version, for me, is superior due to its darker more complex overtones. It stands as a record to the genius and wit of Sondheim and the immense capabilities of those that created some of the most memorable roles in musical theatre.
June 7, 2015
The best version that's available on video. Leaps and bounds better than the 2014 edition.
February 22, 2015
Bernadette Peters was amazing as the Wicked Witch. This was a great production with some fantastic musical numbers.
½ January 2, 2015
This has got to be the worst, most boring, random, meaningless movie I've ever wasted my money on. The music is not memorable. . nor pretty, . . .just random notes thrown together . . .to get some words out. .. ? The ONLY thing I can say about it . is that the singers were good. I'm just amazed at the ratings. . I was so bored. ..They sing constantly! and not good stuff! I'm a singer and musician myself - I just didn't think the songs made sense or were pretty. .or especially singable or memorable. .. Sheeeesh. .. to me it's just vehicle for egos. . . I wished for my money back. The last movie I walked out of was more than 20 years ago. I very nearly walked out of this one, but kept hoping it would resolve into something. It didn't. . .
December 25, 2014
Great for a musical. Funny parts make it more interesting. Chris Pine is a hoot. :)
December 24, 2014
I saw this during the original run on Broadway. I loved it live and this recording reminds me of that magical experience in the theatre. I just bought the SD version on iTunes - my family loves it.
December 24, 2014
Much, much darker than I was expecting. A beautifully staged and funny exploration of the woods, whatever that may mean (life, sexual awakening, turmoil, death, etc.)
½ June 21, 2014
Well that was really overall excessively pleasant, the songs were alternatively funny or beautiful, there were nice messages amongst all the death and such, I found particular enjoyment in the princes and their Agony songs, the acting was very good, I do always like when a witch isn't completely horrible.... I did completely lose it and start crying hysterically but it's not at any point that anyone would've expected or intended, and not anything that would've bothered me a year ago. So. Meh. Minus the half star for the selling of the cow and the wearing of the wolf skin and the cow having to die at all, even if it was resurrected, though Jack's house having been stepped on and demolished I'm pretty sure both cow and chicken had off screen unceremonial deaths.
January 13, 2014
Fun and entertaining take on classic fairy tales. Great musical.
July 14, 2013
Absolutely wonderful
May 27, 2013
One of my all time favorite musicals!
April 8, 2013
Funny, Comical and full of wisdom.
March 10, 2013
Live recording of an amusing musical combining several fairy tales: Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel and Little Red Riding Hood. The second part (the aftermath of "happily ever after") is the best. I'm just not a giant fan of all the jolly tunes though (I would have preferred a rock opera).
January 22, 2013
Perhaps the best play I've ever seen. Fantastic recording of a play. It may not be live, but this is the next best thing!!!
½ November 21, 2012
Strange things happen in the woods. "No one is alone."