Into Eternity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into Eternity Reviews

September 3, 2016
I found this documentary completely fascinating. Scientists and engineers discussing the building of a nuclear waste storage facility deep underground in Finland which must remain intact for 100,000 years and grappling with the impossibility of planning for every possible eventuality (war, earthquakes..) and what technological and scientific capabilities future humans may or may not possess.
August 15, 2016
"Once upon a time, man learned to master fire. Something no other living creature had done before him. Man conquered the entire world. One day he found a new fire. A fire so powerful that it could never be extinguished. Man reveled in the thought that he now possessed the powers of the universe. Then in horror, he realized that his new fire could not only create but also destroy. Not only could it burn on land but inside all living creatures; inside his children, the animals, all crops. Man looked around for help, but found none. And so he built a burial chamber deep in the bowels of the earth, a hiding place for the fire to burn, into eternity."

A great documentary.
½ September 30, 2015
Radioactivity, is in the air for you and me.
April 8, 2015
Documentário sobre um depósito de lixo nuclear construído na Finlândia feito para durar 100.000 anos sem interferência humana. Interessante a maneira misteriosa que o assunto foi tratado, focalizando na dificuldade de prever o que pode acontecer se alguém decidir no futuro abrir o depósito.
July 19, 2014
Conseillé par Axolot j'ai regardé ce documentaire sur ce lieu incroyable, complexe souterain gigantesque autonome concu pour cacher des dechets nucleaires 100000 ans à l'homme en finlande. Tres metaphysique, philosophique, avec de nombreuses images de laboratoire au ralenti
½ January 21, 2014
An interesting view on a subject unbeknownst to many. What is the future for our planet , and what is the ramifications of nuclear power ?
October 26, 2013
2/5 I was very interested in seeing this, but it was uninformative and extremely slow. The content that was there was pointlessly stretched for what I am assuming was a time requirement for the budget. This should have been a 15 - 20 minute film that actually should not even have been made until the project was near completion.
July 25, 2013
If our civilization is ever whipped out of this earth our nuclear waste will survive us. Some finish scientist are trying to avoid our most dangerous legacy to destroy what we left behind and a fim maker with superb technique is portraying those efforts. Way more than a documentary: a message for generations to come; and that message says "Win or lose, somebody cared".
January 2, 2013
Everybody should try to catch this documentary, especially Finns who may not know that a vast repository is being constructed beneath Finland to house the country's nuclear waste for the next 100,000 years.
December 28, 2012
The main argument in this film is that our current civilization will be wiped out and all of our knowledge of radiation and all of our languages will be gone as well. All lost within the next 100,000 years. Then some future civilization will develop and uncover our nuclear waste, not knowing what it is. No where do they even tell you specifically why the waste is dangerous, only that radiation is bad for you. They hype up this waste like its some sort of boogeyman and if you find out about it you're already dead.

The film is set up as if it were being watched in the future to warn people about the dangerous waste. However it then gives you the premise that every basic science textbook, every internet article on radiation, and all of our current languages are gone. So how would anyone watch or even understand the video?

All im saying is it makes no sense... I suppose im a little biased since I thought this was a documentary on nuclear waste and it turned out to be an environmentalist film using hippie scare tactics.
½ October 10, 2012
I think it makes a good point, but it's so vague I'm not sure
September 21, 2012
The director's tremendous ego nearly ruins this movie, but if you can get past the absurdity of his stupid monologues and various attempts at profoundness, the actual content of the movie is interesting enough to make it worth watching.
½ August 30, 2012
I've never thought that people would think so far for this planet......i mean it's good that they don't want to harm the Earth and try to reduce the radiation , but how can you be sure of what would happen in 5 years......not to mention 50.....
June 19, 2012
what will our future legacy be?
½ May 24, 2012
There's an interesting message there but I found it really clouded by the slow motion, long pans, and other artsy techniques that the director uses. The issue is compelling enough without random shots (my favorite of which is a moose taking a shit). and long pauses. Even the narration style is distracting.
½ May 21, 2012
Onkalo (Finnish for "hiding place") is under construction: it's a cavernous world of tunnels and corridors, a permanent storage facility for nuclear waste, meant to last 100,000 years (that's 20 times as long as the pyramids have so far). Conceptual artist Michael Madsen's film is a creepy, eerily elegant meditation on human folly, punctuated by philosophical and historical references, that asks: how do you keep 3,000 future generations from inadvertently opening this Pandora's Box? Should markers be posted in every language or in hieroglyphics that say "keep out"? (Someone suggests Edvard Munch's "The Scream" might work nicely.) Would it be better not to post any notice and hope no one will chance upon it? And what about the Ice Age predicted to occur in a mere 60,000 years? Will the weight of the ice impact the structural integrity of Onkalo? If you thought the Gulf oil spill was scary.
½ April 16, 2012
A very gritty, dark documentary which is presented through the concept of a message to the future. It creates this dark, cold, apocalyptical ambient that terrifies and amazes. And at the same time managing to be tought provoking, while it still remains comprehensible for the average viewer.
March 13, 2012
everyone needs to see, every one of us needs to know, every one of us must be responsible for this nightmare we have created.
January 31, 2012
I don't know what the reviewers here are talking about. This is an important and interesting subject, but it's been ruined by the most pretentious, self important, and monotonous film-making I've ever experienced. There's about 10-20 minutes of material here that's been stretched out to 75. It's unintentionally funny at first and then it get's infuriating. By the end of the film I really felt like I wanted the film maker to be personally punished, and I wanted to lodge a complaint to the film festival for selecting this film.