Into The Abyss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into The Abyss Reviews

September 17, 2014
Shook me to my core.
September 14, 2014
The entire time I was watching this, I was trying to figure out why exactly I didn't like it. Toward the end, it finally occurred to me that documentaries should be a statement of fact rather than an editorial, and this plays way more like an editorial. It's pretty much a commercial for the anti-death penalty movement, and while the filmmakers are certainly entitled to their opinion, it doesn't really have a lot of place in a documentary that's supposed to be about facts. Also, I have a really hard time taking pity on cold-blooded killers, so maybe it's just that the editorial was so much the opposite of my own beliefs. Either way, I was not a fan.
August 29, 2014
Herzog's intentionally transparent subjectivity is given a perfect showcase in this very sobering look the ramifications of the death penalty and executions in the lives of those in any way touched by it. And his subjectivity allows him an incredible amount of aesthetic creativity and the leeway to treat the documentary as an art form.
August 11, 2014
One of my favourite Herzogs.
½ July 26, 2014
Very intricate look into capital punishment. Kind of puts the question, "If you believe in the death penalty, could you deliver the penalty of death yourself? Or do you just want someone else to do it?"
June 4, 2014
I wanna go to "Cut And Shoot, TX" immediately.
½ May 12, 2014
Not a bad documentary but not so original which surprises me for a Herzog film. It's also the first Werner Herzog film which isn't weird.
½ May 3, 2014
Dive into the complexity of the death penalty and its implications as approached by a master documentary film-maker.
April 20, 2014
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Decent.
April 12, 2014
Buen documentar. Muy interesante!
April 5, 2014
phenomenal look into the death penalty and its faults
½ March 29, 2014
This is one of the most emotionally tormenting documentaries I have ever watched, and with good reason. It provides and new and dense perspective of capital punishment, following those convicted and the families affected. The documentary's greatest success is its portrayal of both sides of the story, almost free of bias. While Herzog might not be the best interviewer, his film is unremittingly dark, melancholic, and above all, important.
February 22, 2014
Werner Herzog is not just one of my favorite filmmakers, he's one of my favorite humans.
½ February 21, 2014
Very psychologically moving film about the effects of violent crime as well as the death penalty. Herzog does a fantastic job interviewing both the convicted men and the victims' families and is very non-judgemental, event hough he makes it clear he himself is against the death penalty.
February 20, 2014
This is one of the saddest film experiences I have been through in many years. To see so much sorrow and grief and despair within the same 20 miles of land is heartbreaking. Whether by luck or by hard work, Herzog finds and shows us a gem of documentary filmmaking. This might be my favorite work from him.
February 16, 2014
Beautiful and haunting in so many ways.
February 7, 2014
Shocked at the overwhelmingly positive reviews on this documentary. There is a good film in here somewhere, but its buried beneath terrible editing, shots that linger on for what seems like an eternity. All you have to do is watch the first 5 minutes of this movie, the priest finishes his bit, and then the camera lingers pointlessly on his face for (I'm not kidding) A FULL MINUTE. This type of blatant run-time padding cannot possibly deserve a 91% from critics. This is a 45 minute documentary with a run-time of 1:31.
December 30, 2013
Another solid documentary from the great Werner Herzog charting a triple homicide in America and focussing on defendants, their families and the families of the victims for a fully rounded portrayal of violent crime and it's affects. Often only probing with questions when necessary Herzog allows fully rounded responses from all concerned, never mocking and never glorifying any aspect in a well rounded, albeit shocking, look at an emotional subject.
½ December 21, 2013
Herzog wisely holds back on the 'Herzog' in this bleak and multi-faceted look at the death penalty.
December 16, 2013
Without taking sides, Werner Herzog's new documentary examines crime and punishment in the United States by following the story of Michael Perry and Jason Burketts killing of three people in order to steal thier vehicle, for which they were found guilty. One was sentenced to death row and the other recieved life. The film does not glorify or exploit any aspect of its subject matter. It uses intimate interviews and crime scene video to lay out all facts and feelings , from all sides.
From victims to criminals to executioner they all play a part on this canvas. A must see....