Intolerable Cruelty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Intolerable Cruelty Reviews

½ July 10, 2015
There are moments of fun but that quirky sense that the Coens have is missing in this rather generic movie.
July 9, 2015
What a huge waste of time...
June 23, 2015
I regret giving this movie a chance because it turned out to be stupider than I could have imagined. Not funny, just dumb.
June 15, 2015
It's entertaining and has two charming leads, but little substance in this offbeat romantic comedy. There are elements of Coen Brothers' style, but definitely not their usual whimsy.
½ May 28, 2015
This one didn't really do much for me. I dunno, it just doesn't do the job like it could have.
May 27, 2015
Screwball comedy. The words alone, so often said with admiration and esteem, the item itself so little seen, its akin to invoking "Shangri-La", and yet here is the real deal, unexpected particularly for the casting of its chief stars. Somehow I don't think of them when I consider that ethereal quality known as talent. Yet it's here, witty dialogue delivered with verve. Commentary on not just the culture of the uber-rich lifestyle that is Beverly Hills, but also on our national obsession with money in particular, that fat baby: greed ("if I don't get more right now of whatever it is I want I'm gonna cry very loudly!"). Very good work.
May 20, 2015
Funny in an oddball Coen Brothers kind of way. It had its moments, but it was ultimately just okay for me.

Grade: B-
½ May 15, 2015
I'm sorry, but this film is not good.
April 17, 2015
Was hoping for so much more.
April 17, 2015
Doesn't feel like a Coen Brothers movie. Good acting and a solid story makes for a few laughs and a fairly enjoyable movie.
April 8, 2015
One of the Coen brothers' weaker films, but I still really enjoyed it.
½ March 25, 2015
It's funny but not like ha ha funny. It's one of those Coen Brothers comedy that goes nowhere, but still an enjoyable film
½ February 8, 2015
Amusing bubble gum yarn beneath both lead actors. It's all about greed and getting everything for nothing.
February 6, 2015
The Coen Brothers go all mainstream for the first time since The Hudsucker Proxy (1994), with a revival of the screwball comedy genre. Based on a screenplay by Robert Ramsay and Matthew Stone (Life (1999), this is a very likeable and quirky romantic comedy which might be hard to crack on first viewing, but it's a film which does grow on you over time, especially with the colourful characters here. Successful divorce lawyer Miles Massey (George Clooney) who wants a challenge, he finds it when he represents Rex Rexroth (Edward Herrmann), who was caught by private investigator Gus Petch (Cedric The Entertainer) cheating on his wife Marylin Rexroth (Catherine Zeta-Jones), who in turn is a gold-digger. Miles is able to help Rex win the case, but Miles hasn't seen the last of Marylin, she comes back to him when she wants to marry Texas oil tycoon Howard D. Doyle (Billy Bob Thornton), to talk to Miles about one of his marriage pre-nups, Miles is happy to oblige, but that isn't the end of that, and Marylin has revenge in mind for Miles. Alot of people are keen to dismiss the film as too mainstream by the Coen's standards, true it isn't up to the standard of their other films, there is still alot of fun to be had within this film. Clooney and Zeta-Jones spark off each other brilliantly, and there are some very amusing cameos and a brilliant script with sublime dialogue.

The Coen Brothers go all mainstream with a revival of the screwball comedy genre. The film has successful divorce lawyer Miles Massey (George Clooney) who wants a challenge, he finds it when he represents Rex Rexroth (Edward Herrmann), who cheated on...(read more) his wife Marylin Rexroth (Catherine Zeta-Jones), who in turn is a gold-digger. Miles is able to help Rex win the case, but Miles hasn't seen the last of Marylin... Alot of people are keen to dismiss the film as too mainstream by the Coen's standards, true it isn't up to the standard of their other films, there is still alot of fun to be had within this film. Including characters such as assassin Wheezy Joe, the Scottish themed wedding in Las Vegas, and the funniest part of the film comes from a court testimony from a flamboyant concierge named Heinz, the Baron Krauss von Espy, which has to be one of the funniest characters the Coen's have ever created. Shame he wasn't in it more...
January 9, 2015
I really liked this movie a lot. A delightful Coen-style take on divorce lawyers and the possibility of love.
½ January 2, 2015
There's a lot of problems with the script, and some of the stuff with Edward Herrmann I don't think works at all, it's not funny it just kind of falls flat. But Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones, I think they deliver enough to say it's worth seeing.
December 30, 2014
Ein gut gemachter und gut gelaunter Film von den Coen Brüder! Das die Schauspieler Spass miteinander hatten, sieht man deutlich in dieser Geschichte. Sie nehmen sich auch nicht zu ernst beim agieren. Nur leider ist man sich besseres gewöhnt von den Coens. Nicht falsch verstehen, denn der schwarze Humor und der Sarkasmus ist beständig. Nur leider verliert sich die Geschichte an Handlung und wird viel zu schnell abgekurbelt. Auch die vereinzelten Rollen bleiben einem fern.
Fazit: Wenn man gute Schauspieler hat, sollte man auch ein besseres Drehbuch haben!
December 1, 2014
Some clunky moments but overall I enjoyed this. Just when you think it's all getting too saccahrine Joel Coen injects the story with several doses of cynicism and irony. Razor sharp script and razor sharp performances to boot. Worth a watch.
½ November 27, 2014
A silly and shallow comedy with a predictable plot. No wit, no satire, no spirit, nothing.
½ September 11, 2014
Hardcore fans of the Coen brothers may be disappointed by this rather old-school, mainstream romcom, but the snappy (and cleverly-written) dialogue and its likable cast make Intolerable Cruelty thoroughly entertaining.