Inventing the Abbotts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inventing the Abbotts Reviews

April 3, 2012
Jennifer Connelly. That's all I have to say about this one.
April 3, 2012
This is a fun Joaquin/ Liv movie...
March 24, 2012
while it may not be the most original story, and it tends to be quite predictable, 'inventing the abbotts" makes up for where it lacks with fine performances from joaquin phoenix, billy cruddup, jennifer connelly, liv tyler and especially kathy baker.
February 28, 2012
For a film about teen love & relationships in a usually vibrant period translated on film it is very dry & flat.
December 31, 2011
A decent drama that gets lost in itself. The elements for a very good film are here, but just never gets rolling enough to get there. The cast is quite good. Phoenix, Cudrup and Tyler in particular. It gets a whole extra star for showing Jennifer Connelly's awesome boobage. Sorry if that's a lame reason, but it was well worth an extra point.
December 8, 2011
½ August 4, 2011
I have only sceen bits and peaces of the movie. So I really don't know what to say about it.
June 30, 2011
I can remember watching this one a few years back and really being not impressed. However, I really couldn't remember a lot about it, so when I saw this as a free rental, decided I wound give it another go.
I have to say it was nowhere near as bad as I remembered. It is a fairly subdued film, no one in it is terribly happy and added to that, it is set in the 50's. Not a great time for women, I would say. No wonder the 3 Abbott girls have issues! Liv Tyler is pleasant here, where Jennifer Connelly I found a little less so, but really she is not in it enough to matter. She's not awful, but I just don't buy her as that character. Joaquin Phoenix was the real surprise here. I am not generally a fan, but he nails it here. Quite compelling. I am thinking I will check out some other films he is in.
Overall not one I would recommend chasing down, but not bad, and possibly just perfect viewing on an insomnia night, as it was for me, if you happen to catch it on tv.
½ June 16, 2011
pertama kali jatuh cinta ama Jennifer Connely :D
June 6, 2011
Maravillosa historia de dramas familiares sin resolver.Aquí descubrí la valía de Joaquim Phoenix..
April 6, 2011
One of my favorite coming of age films. More than that its a film about the human condition family and siblings. The way we all see things very differently than those around us. Also how what we see and feel when we are when hurt and jaded are not always how things really are. Joaquin in one of his earliest roles showed the powerful tortured soul that would later allow him to take on Johnny Cash. Liv Tyler is at what could be her best in this movie.
November 3, 2010
A decent drama that gets lost in itself. The elements for a very good film are here, but just never gets rolling enough to get there. The cast is quite good. Phoenix, Cudrup and Tyler in particular. It gets an extra star for showing Jennifer Connelly's awesome boobs. Sorry if thats a lame reason, but it was well worth it.
August 1, 2010
i have this movie its a cute one love liv in this one;]
July 20, 2010
It seems a little long at parts and slow, but it wasn't a bad movie. The cast was well essembled and the acting was good, but just a little slow at times. I got bored off and on.

" know all there is to know about screwing your way into a wealthy family and there's no way I'm gonna let you screw your way into mine."

"Every time an Abbott girl gets her period they throw some kind of party!"

"You do realize you may be the only person at this party with artificial sideburns?"
½ July 14, 2010
Joaquin Phoenix and Billy Crudup are both extremely interesting actors and Liv Tyler is stunning. But the story itself isn't too enervating.
½ June 23, 2010
billy crudup...sexy as sin.
June 3, 2010
You know I just starting liking Billy Crudup around 2009, and I didn't know he was in this film, I've seen only once and I have to say the story is pretty good!
June 2, 2010
Hmmm.
VERY slow movie. Not much plot. VERY dumb ending. The actors in this movie were much more worthy of a better script than the one they had to preform from.
Gladly giving this movie to goodwill!!!
April 22, 2010
(from The Watermark, 05/01/97)
In this sweet coming-of-age film, Phoenix and Crudup are two working-class brothers being raised by their mother in a small Illinois town in the late 1950's. They spend most of their teen years lusting after the three daughters of the richest family in town, the Abbotts. Crudup is particularly obsessed with wooing and bedding the girls because he believes that the Abbotts' fortune should really belong to his family, and that they even had a hand in his father's untimely death. Phoenix, the level-headed brother, is just content to be friends with the youngest of the daughters (Tyler) and must hope that their friendship doesn't suffer as a result of Crudup's misplaced resentment of the family. The story and subject are slightly above made-for-TV material in which the boys must lay some skeletons in the family closet to rest before moving into well-adjusted adulthood. What brings it to a higher level are the performances and chemistry between the gifted young cast. Queer Quotient: The only element that seems out of place is when Phoenix ends up going to college as a scenic design major. The film nowhere prepares us to believe he has any artistic inclinations. And maybe I'm prejudiced, but it's just such a gay profession, isn't it?