Invictus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Invictus Reviews

½ November 7, 2015
Freeman brings Nelson Mandela to life in an exceptional performance indeed but this barely ordinary drama - inspiring as it may be - fails to match the greatness of its real-life character due to Eastwood's poor directing choices and blatant political naivetÚ.
½ October 5, 2015
Not necessarily a sports movie, this does however play a major part in the depiction of how Mandela went about his business of creating a new nation out of a very divided people. There's a few liberties taken with events, but this does not get in the way of a very good story.
½ October 2, 2015
If Clint Eastwood is directing, there's a high chance it is going to be good. Though a more accurate comparison would be required, this may actually be a better tribute to Nelson Mandela than 'Long Walk to Freedom'. Sufficient time is spent on showing Mandela tackling the post-apartheid issues without sacrificing the on-pitch action. Morgan Freeman demonstrates greater natural conviction as the former South African president compared to Idris Elba while Eastwood completes the admirable task of conveying the all-around significance of the 1995 Rugby World Cup. It even manages to engage a man like myself who doesn't care for the sport. Might be in the mood to sit down to some rugby world cup....if there's no football on.
September 26, 2015
WARNING YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS SOMETHING HAPPENES AT THE END OF THE CREDITS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........WOW......WOW....WOW......WOW.....WOW.....SUCH A BEAUTIFUL, BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A POWERFUL DRAMA MOVIE 2 WATCH, BUT IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A SUPERB CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROGUHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......
September 13, 2015
Newly elected President Mandela knows his nation remains racially and economically divided in the wake of apartheid. Believing he can bring his people together through the universal language of sport, Mandela rallies South Africa's underdog rugby team as they make an unlikely run to the 1995 World Cup Championship match. (Warner Bros.)
½ July 20, 2015
Clint Eastwood ofrece un d˙o encantador en una historia encantadora y a la vez conmovedora... Es simple y bella, las actuaciones principales llevan esta historia a un paso muy funcional.
July 4, 2015
One of Hollywood's most dedicated and deserving sports movies, as it takes the perfect story that blends a lesser-known sport with real-world politics and makes the most of it without driving into schmaltz, though the end still feels a bit formulaic.
½ July 1, 2015
Fantastic. As someone who remembers the emotions all came flooding back.
June 27, 2015
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul...

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
June 21, 2015
Freeman is the best thing about this intrinsically average film.
June 12, 2015
Awesome. Morgan Freeman is spectacular as usual.
June 2, 2015
Invictus is a little too long/slow-moving for me, but Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela? That's reason enough to see the movie. He's fabulous.
April 1, 2015
This movie shows us in an excellent way, how Nelson Mandela managed to unite South Africa, after apartheid through the Rugby World Cup. Clint Eastwood knows how to direct this kind of films and this kind of actors. 8/10
March 28, 2015
84%
Saw this on 27/3/15
Faced with more than just the task of being a sports drama, Invictus must be a riveting look at the racial segregation after South Africa became a free country and it must also be a satisfying account of the life of Nelson Mandela during the time of his presidency. Invictus nearly pulls all these off with enough conviction and whenever the film starts to fall off, Clint Eastwood pulls it back off to flight. This is a fine sports film, expertly crafted and it captures the spirit of the game aptly, take for instance the slow motion sequences during the rugby match. The story of Invictus is one of ample historic importance and it's a near miracle that was not given the attention that it deserved from the world and the director has done a respectable job by bringing it out to the masses.
March 22, 2015
Invictus manages to flow through (some of) Mandela's life and an important rugby game to South Africa, but never feels like it focuses on either one, managing to make an enjoyable, but light, film on an important event and an important person.
½ March 16, 2015
A manly film directed and played by the greatest grandpas in Hollywood - Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman. It shows what leadership really is and how duly inspired people can go against the odds and win the race. The last lines by Mandela - "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." are truly inspiring. Recommended for watching not only to crazy rugby fans!
½ February 28, 2015
Political/sports film.
Got boring very quickly.
½ February 22, 2015
Expectations were high leading up to "Invictus" and deservedly so. The source material is compelling, the previews were nothing short of rousing, and Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, and Matt Damon are some of the most talented men in the business. Unfortunately the finished product couldn't quite cash the check written by the aforementioned promise. The performances by the two leads are top notch but the movie suffers from an unfocused narrative that can't quite decide if it wants to be an in-depth biopic or a run-of-the-mill sports story. Freeman and Damon's performances may warrant a viewing despite these shortcomings but the overall package is a bit of a let down by Eastwood's lofty standards.
½ January 24, 2015
Nice feel good sentimental movie about Mandela and South Africa.
January 23, 2015
Likeable Eastwood film developed with the encouragement and devotion of Morgan Freeman. I would love this a little more if Damon was bigger than a halfback and the *mystery* food poisoning of every member of the losing finalists was acknowledged, even in a publicity interview after the films release. Humerously Clint refused to take interviews from NZ journalists when marketing the film.