Invictus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Invictus Reviews

March 28, 2015
84%
Saw this on 27/3/15
Faced with more than just the task of being a sports drama, Invictus must be a riveting look at the racial segregation after South Africa became a free country and it must also be a satisfying account of the life of Nelson Mandela during the time of his presidency. Invictus nearly pulls all these off with enough conviction and whenever the film starts to fall off, Clint Eastwood pulls it back off to flight. This is a fine sports film, expertly crafted and it captures the spirit of the game aptly, take for instance the slow motion sequences during the rugby match. The story of Invictus is one of ample historic importance and it's a near miracle that was not given the attention that it deserved from the world and the director has done a respectable job by bringing it out to the masses.
March 22, 2015
Invictus manages to flow through (some of) Mandela's life and an important rugby game to South Africa, but never feels like it focuses on either one, managing to make an enjoyable, but light, film on an important event and an important person.
½ March 16, 2015
A manly film directed and played by the greatest grandpas in Hollywood - Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman. It shows what leadership really is and how duly inspired people can go against the odds and win the race. The last lines by Mandela - "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." are truly inspiring. Recommended for watching not only to crazy rugby fans!
½ February 28, 2015
Political/sports film.
Got boring very quickly.
½ February 22, 2015
Expectations were high leading up to "Invictus" and deservedly so. The source material is compelling, the previews were nothing short of rousing, and Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, and Matt Damon are some of the most talented men in the business. Unfortunately the finished product couldn't quite cash the check written by the aforementioned promise. The performances by the two leads are top notch but the movie suffers from an unfocused narrative that can't quite decide if it wants to be an in-depth biopic or a run-of-the-mill sports story. Freeman and Damon's performances may warrant a viewing despite these shortcomings but the overall package is a bit of a let down by Eastwood's lofty standards.
½ January 24, 2015
Nice feel good sentimental movie about Mandela and South Africa.
January 23, 2015
Likeable Eastwood film developed with the encouragement and devotion of Morgan Freeman. I would love this a little more if Damon was bigger than a halfback and the *mystery* food poisoning of every member of the losing finalists was acknowledged, even in a publicity interview after the films release. Humerously Clint refused to take interviews from NZ journalists when marketing the film.
January 22, 2015
Watching it gave me mixed emotions.
½ January 20, 2015
Discreta e inspiradora pelicula de Eastwood.
January 20, 2015
I love feel good Sports Dramas. I also love Rugby, Morgan Freeman and people posting photos of Morgan Freeman on social media thinking he had died when Mandela had.

A great film. A great moment in history. Unless you were a member of the All-Blacks team suffering from food poisoning...
January 17, 2015
Damm that airplane scene made me cry
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
Clint Eastwood as the director and with actors like Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon this is a movie you most certainly want to see like i did. This flick is a true story based one and follows the story with the newly elected President Nelson Mandela (Freeman) joining / helping South Africa's rugby team for the World Cup serie. Excellent performances once again from Freeman and Damon but many other actors aswell. Its not quite the best flick i have seen in this typical sport drama genre and its plenty of simlilar movies out there which has been really good. Anway its a great flick and a must see on the drama list.
November 17, 2014
Beautiful. Loved it!
October 1, 2014
Admittedly a little slow going but at the heart of it - it was very inspiring and Director Clint Eastwood did a fantastic job! Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela was spot on!

Highly recommended!
September 21, 2014
This is another good but not great Eastwood film. Both Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon give exceptionally good performances. And the soundtrack for the film is worth listening to.
September 21, 2014
September 17, 2014
Morgan Freeman acting as Nelson Mandela, South Africa's first democratically elected president, remains memorable.

Clint Eastwood's sentimental piece narrates the unconventional leadership shown by the great man in bringing a racially divided nation together through the sport of rugby, once the preserve of race-obsessed white Afrikaners.

When I first saw Freeman play the part of the ground-breaking school principal in Lean On Me years before Invictus, I believed that he would play Mandela. Not only because of his acting talent. Freeman bears a remarkable resemblance to Mandela. And in Invictus he played his part to near-perfection. He nearly perfected Mandela's gravelly voice.

Clint Eastwood's team researched this project very well. Invictus, which takes its title from the book by John Carlin and the poem of the same name, is an accurate account of those heady days when Mandela united a nation, if only for a few days, and inspired a beleaguered home team, far from favourites, to win the rugby world cup. And of all the cup finals I've seen, this one takes the cake.
September 11, 2014
So inspiring and uplifting! I want to see more movies about Nelson Mandela!
½ September 8, 2014
Inaccurate but a good watch (if your South African...)
August 19, 2014
a decent film, Morgan Freeman was the best choice for Nelson Mandela.