The Invisible Circus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Invisible Circus Reviews

May 22, 2013
I don't know who keeps giving hippies money to make movies, but I wish they'd stop.
½ November 13, 2012
Good actors in a bland film.
April 19, 2012
Thursday, April 19, 2012

(2001) The Invisible Circus
DRAMA MYSTERY

Movie's narrator Phoebe (Jordana Brewster) who just can't get over her sister, Faith's (Cameron Diaz)suicide from some European country after being somewhat traumatize over her father's demise and eventually becomes part of a radical group supporting the repressing of the gov't against the US invasion of Vietnam. Phoebe is then being driven to seek out what really happend since she's suspicious for some resolution/ closure, and leaving her mother behind to do it by visiting those exact same places where her sister's been to.

Haven't learned anything more than the last time I finished watching it since it was exactly what it was, that it was a suicide without the 'how' and the 'why' which is what this film dwells on and then I stopped caring anymore. Great production values but inspired result.

2 out of 4
October 27, 2011
It is the late 1960's and the world is changing - revolution is in the air and freespirited hippy Faith O'Connor (Cameron Diaz) wants to experience life to the full. She leaves her comfortable middle class home and embarks on a reckless voyage of discovery that will take her to Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris and finally Portugal. And that is the last time that her family hears from her. Now 6 years later, Faith's younger sister, Phoebe, (Jordana Brewster) decides to follow in her footsteps - retracing each dramatic episode in her life to try and put the puzzle of her disappearance together. But what she uncovers will rock her very existence - who was the sister she thought she knew?...What trouble was she really involved in? And what really happened on that lonely Portuguese cliff?

also stars Christopher Eccleston, Blythe Danner, Patrick Bergin, Camilla Belle, Moritz Bleibtreu, Isabelle Pasco and Nikola Obermann.

directed by Adam Brooks.
September 3, 2011
I watched this because it has an odd title and Cameron Diaz in it. Story seemed a light and some scene was totally pointless in regard to her sister's fatal fate. Average.
½ August 31, 2011
1. The book was better.
2. I haven't seen a great performer acting SO HARD against Cameron Diaz's awfulness since "Gangs Of New York." (Jordana Brewster is pretty terrible too, though at least she is beautiful.)
½ June 11, 2011
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. Brewster's exposure is not even enough to justify the movie ticket on this one.
½ May 23, 2011
THE INVISIBLE CIRCUS (2001)
October 27, 2010
This movie was interesting and a drama in the truest sense of the word. Performances by the cast were crisp and tender.
September 26, 2010
Pavadinimas liet. kalba: Urburtas ratas.

Kaip ir nieko, bet tik─?jausi, kad bus labiau koki┼│ vingi┼│...
June 2, 2010
interesting cast, interesting story. . .
May 9, 2010
A brilliantly made and acted movie about both finding and dealing with ones demons. Jordana Brewsters performance as the younger sister of faith (who committed suicide) was absolutely astounding and Christopher Eccleston's performance as Faith's boyfriend was spot on with his mixture of quiet thoughtfulness and mournful suffering. Not too sure about his long wig in the flashbacks though. Other than that I was quietly impressed with the strength of this movie and will definately watch it again.
February 5, 2010
The storyline was pretty interesting, although I still fail to imagine how a girl can fall for her deaad sister's ex-boyfriend. Awesome performance from Jordana Brewster.
½ January 5, 2010
one of the many reasons why i love indie movies. very character driven piece about the search of one's identity and what drives someone to do tragic things.
January 2, 2010
I enjoyed the female characters in this film. I had a feeling about the ending in the beginning (makes sense?), and the film unravels the story slowly through Phoebe's experiences. Interesting but left me kind of empty. Didn't like the culmination of the relationship between Phoebe and Wolf.
November 6, 2009
** (out of four)

Cameron Diaz stars a carefree spirit who spends the summer of 1969 travelling through Europe with her boyfriend. Next thing, her family is notified that her body was found. Seven years later her younger sister travels to Europe to search for the truth.

The film never takes off as the plot meanders through a bunch of different episodic situations with uninteresting characters.
October 8, 2009
I felt her passion. It was very ... She looked her sister's memory in that man. Its very cruel....Missing many things.
September 27, 2009
Strange movie this one. Didn't really go any where. No big effort for Cameron Diaz.
September 15, 2009
One sympathises with the girl trying to find out what happened to her big sister, but much of the story doesn't ring true. The scene where she goes mad doesn't lead anywhere. Plus one star for having Cameron Diaz.