The Invisible Man's Revenge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Invisible Man's Revenge Reviews

½ August 16, 2015
What works here ?? other than the usual slick Universal production values and atmosphere ?? is that the film is unusually serious. That also is a downside, since there's not a single likable character to be found. But it moves briskly thanks to the underrated Ford Beebe's direction, has a mostly new musical score by Hans J. Salter, and is, after all, one of the Universal horrors, making it a minor genre essential.
April 29, 2015
More invisible antics, but by now they're getting old. The plot is stale, the characters aren't too interesting, and the ending is average. The effects are a bit more of a miss in this one.
November 9, 2014
The final "Invisible Man" film is actually a decent entry. After the ridiculous comedy outing of "The Invisible Woman" and the mish mash of genres in the propaganda film "The Invisible Agent", they finally returned to a more straight horror feeling. John Carradine plays a bit of a mad scientists fiddling with invisibility, along with Jon Hall playing a fugitive who is given the gift of invisibility, only to go on a crime spree. It works better than most of the sequels, and is on par with "The Invisible Man Returns".
November 5, 2014
Scraping the bottom of the invisible barrel, this Invisible Man sequel recycles several already recycled plots and insanely takes revenge on the unwitting fans. At this point, the special effects BECOME the star of this franchise. Oh, but what a tarnished star! We've already seen the mad scientist serum, Invisible Mans grandson, and convict-exacting-revenge angles, so why not combine them all together into one visibly poor caper? At this late in the stage for the franchise, the suspense proves negligible, as is the shear redundancy of the story.

In this unrated continuation of the Universal series, an eccentric scientist (Jon Hall) helps a fugitive from the law become invisible, unwittingly giving him the power to exact revenge on his former friends.

Most of the players who helped to secure the 1933 original a classic status are long gone. As it turns out, this is a smart move. Thankfully, Abbott & Costello gave the series one its strongest follow-ups. Otherwise, this Revenge plot would've taken the Invisible Man out of the game on a low note.

Bottom line: Jeered Science
½ November 2, 2014
Jumbled and confused, 'Revenge' makes for a competent thriller, but lax effects and a lack of likeable characters make it little more than an early slasher without the kills, if that makes sense.
½ June 23, 2013
Not as good as the first two.
March 3, 2013
I was surprised at how well this film held up. The effects continued to improve and the story had some nice twists and turns!
½ October 30, 2012
A pretty solid return to the spirit of the first INVISIBLE MAN film, this one has some terrific, moody atmosphere and production design, a straightforward plot that ticks all the appropriate boxes, and fun genre regulars (Hall, Ankers, and Carradine, in particular) that sell the material in an entertaining way. Not quite top-tier Universal horror, but it's a more than passable diversion on a cool autumn evening.
½ October 8, 2012
Pointless sequel that was pretty much just a cash grab.
October 19, 2011
Fifth entry in The Invisible Man series is a good final to the series, and if you ask me, it was about time that the ended the series before the ideas were scrapping the bottom of the barrel, which was almost the case. This fifth entry is a good enough final to the series and has a good cast of actors in the film. At about this point in the series, you can see that the film was struggling at delivering a good plot, because well, after four sequels, how many good ideas are left? However, they managed to turn out the best entry since the second film. For a fourth film, The Invisible Man's Revenge goes back to more of its horror roots that was displayed in the first and second film, and was very toned down in nature for the third and fourth parts. As far as the film goes, this is good final film in the series, and it's a good thing that they didn't make any more films as they would have clearly run out of ideas, and it almost was the case. The Invisible Man's Revenge is a good horror film and the actors are good. The story is quite engaging as well, and it is a fine end to a legendary series. As usual the highlight of the film is the stunning use of effects to create the invisible man. This may not be a perfect film, but for what it is, it's an entertaining film worth watching. Like I said, the effects are stunning, and the story is good enough to entertain, just don't expect a terrific final. Good, but not great.
½ July 9, 2011
This sequel to the invisible series tried to reboot the franchise... Unfortunately it wasn't very successful... I did approve of how they tried to return the series to its roots with a more suspense horror vibe, but it really wasn't anywhere near as strong as the original.
½ June 7, 2011
My Favorite Invisible Man films in order
1.The Invisible Man
2.The Invisible Man returns
3.The Invisible Agent
4.The Invisible Man's Revenge
5.The Invisible Woman
These Films I have to say have been some of my favorite follow ups in one of the best collection I have seen even though this one if 4th I still really like it! A good story some good acting overall a good entry into the Invisible series and once again I suggest this one I will miss this series for sure!
April 16, 2011
Basically a rehash of the original installment. Lacking in acting skills and special effects.
March 6, 2011
With the notion of "insanity" lacking in the last two entries, Universal makes up for that fact here loading up on the madness of our invisible title character. Not only does the invisibility formula drive him mad... he's mad to begin with! For that aspect alone I was going mad into this fifth and final entry into Universal's long running "Invisible Man" franchise.

After killing to escape from a hospital, a mentally ill explorer travels to his partner's house in order to collect the half of the profits they found when they discovered a diamond pit in Africa. After an accident his partner thought him to be dead and even worse he spent all the money by losing it in bad investments. This angers our mental patient to no end and after being thrown out he is taken in by a scientist down the road who just happens to be working on an invisibility formula (no connection to previous scientists in the past entries are mentioned). He volunteers for the experiment to make him invisible and soon heads out to extract his revenge on his old partner by extortion and even murder to get his just half of the profits.

I really got involved with the sheer madness of our main character as he would really do anything to get his half of the money! With him being so evil the film really lacks on the other side as there truly isn't a hero to balance the character out. There is literally no one to root for to stop the madness of our invisible man. Even the worst slasher films attempt to make a hero but not here and the film suffers for that fact.

Like the other entries the special effects are the real highlight and the effects displayed here are the best of the series. Now we get to see the invisible man disappear while in motion and even see him with water splashed on his transparent face. For the time these effects were breathtaking and even look more realistic than the effects in such modern "Invisible Man" films such as "Hallow Man."
Without a true protagonist to root for this sequel ends up coming up short but still ends up an entertaining final film into the franchise. This however wasn't the final appearance of our hallow character as he would make a cameo appearance in " Bud Abbott and Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein" and finally in a full fledged comedy spin-off with "Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man."
February 10, 2011
It doesn't make any sense as to why a scientist decides to test his invisibility formula on a fugitive on the run (!), but it does make for some good revenge scenes. Not exactly on "Oldboy" standards, but the fun visual effects are there. Sadly, nothing new either. And that's the last in the so-called series...
December 18, 2010
Made in 1944.4th Installement in the Invisible Man Series sees an eccentric scientist helps a fugitive from the law become invisible, unwittingly giving him the power to exact revenge on his former friends.Despit only having a small role John Carradine steals this film,the first film was a horror,the 2nd a Noir thriller,the third a Spy Film and this is a good suspenseful Horror.I like how The invisible man is definitely a monster again here and he is a real danger.A Good film.
½ August 14, 2010
this films in no way lives up to its predecessors only one actor is good and thats john hall the plot is ok but this film just feels like a cheesy b movie more than a sequel to a classic 4.5\10
May 23, 2010
I was never a fan of the invisible man after the first one. This one is ok but I still liked the first one most of all
March 9, 2010
Same actor, different character. After an issue over diamonds in Africa, the new Invisible Man goes to an eccentric scientist to be a guinea pig for his new invisibility experiment. I really wish these movies had some kind of continuity, but they're all about invisible people...