Invisible Waves - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Invisible Waves Reviews

½ July 6, 2015
Pen-Ek Ratanaruang's movie seems to get as lost as Asano Tadanobu's character. This is most likely the intention. The film seems like it is losing its way, but it finds its way back to where our Drifter started.

Ever grim, the lead character remains lost as a cloud of guilt hoovers over his every move. A disturbing and unexpected character study. The real star here is Christopher Doyle's application of his cinematography skill.

One is never sure of the point, but it is an interesting exploration all the same. Expect the unexpected.
June 24, 2014
An engaging film, but it should have been better.
April 3, 2014
Ratanaruang is back with another story about love and death starring Asano. "Last Life in the Universe" focuses on eros, this companion piece concerns itself with thanatos. Quite dull in spots, but the stills can be captivating.
July 17, 2013
Invisible Waves (Pen-ek Ratanaruang, 2006)

Tadanobu Asano has been in so many great movies (Rampo Noir, Mongol, Ichi the Killer, Eloi Eloi Lema Sabachthani?, Vital, and I'm only scratching the surface) that I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt pretty much every time I see his name. Pen-ek Ratanaruang (6ixtynin9)'s name being added to the bill doesn't hurt matters any; the two of them had previously teamed up for Last Life in the Universe, which was flawed, but quite beautiful. I was hoping that Ratanaruang's second (and to date final) collaboration with Asano would return more to the action-comedy hybrid that Ratanaruang had pulled off so well in 6ixtynin9, and which isn't Asano's strong suit, but it's something he's always been willing to embrace (viz. Screwed or Tokyo Zombie). But no, they ended up making another very pretty, very slow movie, but this one also lacks a plot, and that is its fatal miscalculation; Asano's considerable acting talents alone are not enough to carry this film, and that is what it relies on.

I could try to give you a plot, but understand that I'm pulling from IMDB here, as I gathered none of this from actually watching the movie: Asano plays Kyoji, a guy who is implicit in the death of his boss' wife. In a classic case of cinematic stupidity, he tries to outrun his own guilt by fleeing from his Macao home to Phuket. The majority of the film takes place during the boat journey between the two cities. But as the journey progresses, Kyoji begins to suspect that not everyone he meets on board the ship is as unfamiliar with Kyoji's past as they make themselves out to be.

To call this "incoherent" is understating the case pretty severely. It's reminiscent of Takeshi Kitano's Sonatine, but without that movie's structure-nor its comedy. There's a romance subplot...I think. There are some hit men. (By this time my head was spinning, but I swear I remember these guys from Last Life in the Universe.) There is, as there was in Last Life, a whole lot of unconscionably beautiful scenery. But there is very little to tie it all together, and unless you're doing that odd structuralist/formalist stuff that stopped being all the rage around 1975, having something to tie it all together-a plot, a theme, a deep and well-thought-out character study, something like that-is not only a good idea, it's the basis of a good movie. This is pretty, but it's not much else. **
½ January 20, 2013
A predictable plot made complicated into an international cluster fuck...
March 15, 2012
This is a BOMB! Everybody's gonna expect something from the director and all-star casts from all over Asia, but maybe sometimes things just go wrong somehow.
½ November 2, 2011
Not as good as The last life in the universe but this has an atmosphere so interesting and you, easily, can be immerse in her. Again an amazing performance from Asano.
July 4, 2011
A chef (Tadanobu Asano) flees to Thailand having been forced to kill his lover, who also happened to be his boss's wife. However plans to lay low are dashed as he's being followed and gets mixed up with a fellow passenger. Pen-ek Rataruang's brooding morality tale frustrates and delights in equal measure. There are long scenes where very little happens, yet the Pan-Asian locations/casting works well and Christopher Doyle's cinematography is as sublime as ever.
½ March 13, 2011
a very slow thriller...sometime a little bit too slow
December 27, 2010
A bit pretentious, a bit Japanese, kinda dull and a whole lot of moody, this movie meddles somewhere in between. This doesn't stand up to the director's previous film 'Last Life In The Universe'.
November 17, 2010
A beautiful art house thriller, from the director of 'Last Life In The Universe'.

Top notch cinematography by Christopher Doyle, nice tight script, great soundtrack that helped set the mood, but I'm afraid it's no LLITU, it's close and they both share a certain feel, but this one doesn't have the full beauty and charm of its predecessor.
August 1, 2010
For some a step back from Last Life..., and while it isn't as good it does expand on the themes explored in that masterpiece in a darker and even more refrained manner. The one criticism that that makes no sense is that Doyle's cinematography is somehow sloppy, this film is visually stunning, even more so than Last Life but ultimately it doesn't manage to raise the rest of the film to its predecessor's exacting standard.
February 2, 2010
La pelicula anterior de este director no fue una obra maestra pero poseia un encanto singular que era capaz de atraparte y hacerte sentir dentro de una atmosfera de nostalgia y melancolia. Pareciera que en esta ocasion el director intenta utilizar ese mismo recurso en una historia de engaŮo y arrepentimiento que al final no logra construirse y termina por provocar bostezos en lugar de suspiros.
En general es bastante floja... es casi imposible no dormirse.
January 7, 2010
Ca y est l'ai enfin vu en entier. Bon, comme convenu c'est d'une lenteur √† endormir un insomniaque depuis six mois. La femme simule au d√©but le plaisir, le t√©l√©spectateur ne le fera pas. Comme son personnage, amorphe, le spectateur l'est aussi. Le sc√©nario tiendrait la route sur un court-m√©trage, avec cette histoire d'homme √† la recherche de vengeance mais qui constate que √ßa ne sert √† rien au final. Pour en faire un long, Ratanaruang √©tire au possible. Il filme d'incroyables sc√®nes de vie. Kyoji marche dans le couloir. Il allume une lampe. Il l'√©teint. Il la rallume. De temps en temps, le spectateur est sorti de son apathie par un bruit de dialogues ou par une acc√©l√©ration dans le mouvement de la cam√©ra. Olaaaaa pas si vite, on va fr√īler l'infarctus ! Bref, ennui total, profond o√Ļ les acteurs tentent de sortir leur √©pingle du jeu, difficilement.
½ September 30, 2009
everyone seems to not have been in favor of this, as its pretty much Last Live done over. But Last Live didnt work for me, so maybe thats why i didnt mind this.
I mean the story is crap, and there are some downright hilarious moments with some of the acting, but i kind of went along with it, there are some funny moments, when Pen-Ek gets in his groove he has a pace that is really interesting to watch.
The broken English of Asano i enjoyed going along with, i really need to rewatch Last Life as i only saw a Thai dub of it, which i think ruined the multinational feel that this had.
½ August 16, 2009
Ratanaruang, Doyle and Asano team up again for another haunting visual adventure through life. Asano plays a cook who's sleeping with his wife's boss until he is asked to kill her, this sets him off on a journey of discovery where he is lost in the bowels of a cruise ship, chased through the streets of Thailand, and eventually returns home to face his mistakes. If these three guys want to keep making movies together forever I would happily give up watching anything else as payment.
½ July 6, 2009
I cannot say which one is better (I think I like "Last Lives" better), but I can say that this director really is someone!
½ May 17, 2009
Like a European arthouse film but with a gangster theme running through it. Its a beautiful film that leaves you in contemplation of every action
½ April 15, 2009
Something deeply existential about this movie. The inevitability and fated existence of Asano's character adds to this doomy sense. Love it.
February 27, 2009
Probably just didn't get it, but I love the atmosphere