Invocation of My Demon Brother - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Invocation of My Demon Brother Reviews

June 24, 2014
Mick Jagger was doing Sonic Youth in 1969 set to strange, dark, and sexually charged images in Kenneth Anger's memorable "Invocation of My Demon Brother".
½ March 13, 2013
Kenneth Anger provided the bizarre images that evoke Satanism and the Occult, with an irritating moog synthesizer soundtrack provided by Mick Jagger. Admittedly it is not Jagger's best work. I'm honestly not that qualified to say whether or not it is Anger's best work. This film was an early midnight movie, and it's easy to see hippies and college kids getting high and watching this.
May 18, 2012
Loved it, though I confess the music got on my nerves after the first couple of minutes. Frigging creepy though. Plus I think I read somewhere the albino is committing suicide on camera.
July 13, 2011
This is the stuff MTV is made of today. So we have sacrilegy, paganism, witchcraft, nudity, satanism, Bobby Beausoleil, Anton LaVey, Jagger's impaling score, Kenneth Anger as "The Magick" and Rolling Stones perfoming on stage. There is NOTHING else you could ask for; your mind shall be raped brutally in the place it hurts the most.

June 28, 2011
intoxicating, feverish, incantatory and perverse. in short: sublime
June 1, 2010
J'ai donc tenté de voir un autre court métrage de l'apôtre improbable du cinéma gay et sataniste à paillettes des années 60 après un Scorpio Rising qui n'avait pas su m'évoquer autre chose qu'une curiosité de l'histoire du cinéma. Ici pourtant la sauce a franchement bien pris même si la recette n'est au fond pas bien différente. Je suis d'ailleurs bien embêté pour justifier cet enthousiasme...

J'ai envie de dire que vu la durée du court métrage vous ne perdrez pas grand chose à essayer, mais du coup le fait d'écrire une critique n'aurait alors plus grand sens. Heu...
½ January 10, 2010
I'm not sure what Anger is getting at in this film (albinos, penises, modern pagans...what?), but it's worth seeing for Mick Jagger's soundtrack, if nothing else. I saw this short on Google Video and, assuming that the soundtrack wasn't tampered with, it was startlingly ahead of its time. There is about five minutes in the middle which sounds incredibly like something Sonic Youth might have recorded 15 years later!
½ November 23, 2009
I admire the imagery very much, but the content is so stupid (like the earlier Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome) that I can't take it seriously at all. I mean... jeez, Anton LaVey is in it, and that guy is a retard. Mick Jagger's "score" is an interesting touch, although it sure doesn't make it any easier to sit through this.
½ September 18, 2009
What an annoying soundtrack.
½ March 9, 2009
Just absolutely mesmerizing
January 12, 2009
One of the hardest things to watch in the history of mankind. OK, it's not that bad--there's brilliant imagery mixed in with the penises and eye-twitching. But Mick Jagger should not have been allowed near a Moog.
½ January 5, 2009
When all other explanation fails, just slap in some images of Satan and the Rolling Stones. Oughta do some thing...right?
October 27, 2008
Silly and unrememberable.
October 5, 2008
Perhaps some of the imagery is lost on me, since I didn't grow up during the sixties, but I've been reading up on Kenneth Anger and, since I'm a fan of Crowley, was interested in watching the thing from start to finish. You can catch it in two parts on YouTube and from an art movie perspective, is worth seeing.
September 26, 2008
Mick Jagger makes noise.
July 15, 2008
Anger wallpaper to go along with your Hollywood Babylon coffee table books; but mute the sound and conduct your black mass out back, away from prying eyes and LaVey's lawyers.
½ July 8, 2008
Another amazing short by Anger, beauitful imagery and sound as usual
½ June 21, 2008
Homoerotic experimental film featuring an improvised Moog sunth score by Mick Jagger.

The story behind why shots of Manson follower & murderer Bobby Beauzoleis (sic?) are included is nearly half the fun.
½ February 27, 2008
For a fraction of what was left of the original Lucifer Rising, this is incredible!!!
January 30, 2008
Probably Anger's most abstract film. It's as if Anger invented his own cult language and used it most abundantly here.