Me and You Reviews

• Sep 06, 2019

Slight, but engaging tale is mostly focused on the teenager siblings' interactions in the basement, two troubled kids against the ruthlessness of the outside world.

• Jan 27, 2019

Do yourselves a favor, and read Niccolò Ammaniti.'s book instead! Unfortunately, the last work of the great Bernando Bertolucci, is going to be remember just for that: be the last one. Reading the book before, did not help.

• May 11, 2016

po kniga na Niccolò Ammaniti, vo rezija na Bernardo Bertolucci "Io e Te"

po kniga na Niccolò Ammaniti, vo rezija na Bernardo Bertolucci "Io e Te"

• Feb 08, 2016

It doesn't quite feel like a Bernado Bertolucci film, but maybe the modern soundtrack music accounts for this - look out for the scene with different Italian lyrics to David Bowie's 'Space Oddity'. It's a steady film about isolation, loneliness and relationships that looks good and expertly directed.

• Mar 01, 2015

Amazing story based on today's adolescent generation isolation problems, represented by two siblings living apart but coming closer in the boy's house basement. There he hides from his mother - avoiding to go to school's excersion. Excellent acting from Tea Falco and J. O. Antinori.

• Dec 25, 2013

I really liked it, but what's with the bizarre choice of songs? "Space Oddity" in Italian? RHCP? whaaat. PLUS what's with the Gus van Sant tendencies? :D

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Dec 22, 2013

Bertolucci seems aware of the fascination that he creates with his young protagonist, using the light and close-ups to explore how he curiously appears both awkward and beautiful. But the ambiguous ending feels like an easy refusal to deal with the questions raised before.

• Oct 20, 2013

You can feel Bertolucci's personality in it. It wasn't bad, yet lame pseudo-young details showed old fashioned director. It felt idealistic and lame. Watchable, yet I'd like more.

• Panta O Super Reviewer
    Oct 01, 2013

This Italian drama directed by Bernardo Bertolucci, one of my favourite directors, is not a Bertolucci I know and love. Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad movie at all, but if I watched it and didn't know who the director was, I would never guess the name of Bernardo Bertolucci. Written by Niccolò Ammaniti and Bertolucci himself, the script was a lightweight compared to what was he doing previously! There was a tell-tale touch from the master but it seems that was weakened a little. [img] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/Io_e_te_%28film%29.jpg [/img] I enjoyed it, though, especially the young actors Tea Falco as Olivia and Jacopo Olmo Antinori as Lorenzo (watch out for those two), while I could not say the same for Sonia Bergamasco as Lorenzo's mother - she was too bland for my taste. Somehow, they did well as a team in a story about a troubled teenage boy, Lorenzo (Jacopo Olmo Antinori) who tells his mother he's going on a school skiing trip but instead hides out in the unused, crummy basement flat under the family home - and finds he has to share it with his older half-sister, Olivia (Tea Falco), who is also using it to go "cold turkey" off heroin. In these difficult circumstances their relationship blooms. The 73 year old Bertolucci played safe here - no risk whatsoever was his slogan making this warm film about the difficulties young people face, trying to be earnest imagining the ever-present drug abuse and challenges in life. I am not sure if this movie will emotionally appeal to young people, because it seems like told by the old man, but even like that he is showing us that he can still create poignant and tender work of art.

• Anthony L Super Reviewer
    Sep 28, 2013

At CIFF, I was informed that Bernardo Bertolucci directed this film in a wheelchair. As if the direction job wasn't hard enough, he had to do it with limited mobility. After nine years of inactivity, Bertolucci comes back with an honest, gripping look into the complications of family, and really, the dangers of drug addiction. Although it's a rather short look (103 minutes), Bertolucci loads the runtime with plenty of scenarios, never losing the attention of the audience. Would I have wanted this film to be a bit longer ? I would've loved to see what happens after that semi-ambiguous ending. Made from a very small budget, Bertolucci keeps the film predominantly within one setting, a basement where a 14 year old boy, and his stepsister spend a week. Does it reach the grandiose level that Bertolucci reached with "The Last Emperor" or "Last Tango in Paris?" Not a chance, but the thing is, I wasn't expecting it to be nearly as big as those movies. It's a bittersweet drama about growing up, and change; the metamorphosis of teenagers into adults. It's not a perfect film, by far, that's for sure, but it dwells into the emotions of the characters enough to get the viewer attached, and hooked onto the story. I saw somewhere, where someone said the characters aren't engaging. I'd have to disagree with that statement, because I was involved with these characters. I felt the guilt, the pain, the anguish: everything. This film is a character piece, and without engaging characters, it would be a near disaster for Bertolucci. The acting is magnificent, from, really, only two actors/actresses. The plot is simplistic, but doesn't fail to keep you engaged.