Ip Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ip Man Reviews

½ April 8, 2016
If you've decided to watch this film, it's because you're a fan of martial arts. In that regard, you definitely won't be disappointed. Donnie Yen as Ip Man is extremely impressive, and his Wing Chun is effortless and graceful. The fight choreography is also on point. I didn't even mind that Ip Man is virtually invincible. While the story has heart, however, it is a little too cliched to make it truly stand out, and the script needed a some work to make it flow more smoothly.
March 17, 2016
Ip man is so much more than a Kung fu film. It's a masterpiece in its own right. A competent cast works together under well-visioned direction to yield a finely produced epic based on a real life legend. Liberties were taken of course but the tale in real life would be enthralling and exciting to anyone. This is one of my favorite films.
March 15, 2016
Bare knuckle brilliance and captivating character develop elevate Ip Man above the rank and file.
March 13, 2016
Beautiful to look at and full of amazing fight sequences IP man tells the story of Wing Chun probably best known for his student Bruce Lee. But there is so much more to the man himself. If your a martial arts fan check it out for the amazing work of Donnie Yen
February 26, 2016
Easily the best modern martial arts film, IP Man has incredible fight scenes that pack a surprisingly emotional punch that feels historically grounded and earned, despite certain liberties with the true story.
February 20, 2016
Best Kung Fu since Enter the dragon- hands down. Loved it!
February 10, 2016
BEASTLY movie with a great story, emotionally powerful, and of course, phenomenal fighting. Lots of intense scenes with awesome music. makes you emotionally invested (3 viewings)
½ February 5, 2016
Ip Man is modern martial arts masterpiece. It combines good storytelling with some breath-taking and well choreographed fight scenes. The editing, music, and acting are all top notch. It defies the cliches of a martial arts film by making it noteworthy with a good plot and lots of character development. Definitely not one that can be missed for fans of the genre, he colour saturation change also affect moods quite nicely. Watch this one to see Donnie Yen at the height of his powers.
January 27, 2016
One of the best Martial Art Films!! Blown away when I found out its loosely based on Bruce Lee's teacher!!! Freaking must see film!!!
½ January 22, 2016
This is an amazing story. Not sure it deserves the R-rating. The end fight is rather brutal but the story is deep and moving. If you're a martial arts fan, you've probably already seen this, but if not, check it out now!
January 22, 2016
One of my very favourite marital arts movies ever
January 21, 2016
"ASTOUNDING | CLASSIC | INSPIRATIONAL | MESMERIZING" (91-out-of-100)
½ January 21, 2016
It's structurally disjointed and (I suspect) rather hagiographic, but who cares if the result is fun and inspiring? Nowhere near as insightful as The Grandmaster (which was also flawed), but the choreography is poetic in and of itself.
January 18, 2016
One of the best movies I have ever seen! Great message, action packed and also was based on a true story! I would have never watched it if it wasn't for Netflix.
January 18, 2016
I agree, it is the classic plot of good against evil with great poise and action. Well done movie with great acting ... Currently the highest grossing movie in China, was made by the frowing Chinese film industry. I have friends whose parents lived through the Japanese invasion of China. Any enemy can cause the people to rise up, but the Japanese were particularly cruel. This is the main reason the Chinese hate the Japanese to this day, especially the older generation.
½ January 17, 2016
The fight scenes are undoubtedly gripping, but the plot is a bit trite.
January 15, 2016
so much pain in the war era .. & the focus on how strong he is, yet powerless too in the insanity of war .. slow moving in a wonderful way that feels more realistic. not like western films that keep hitting you on the head with sensory stimulus. this is my favorite film series of all time ..
January 8, 2016
Good movie but a little depressing when the depression hit. Great fight scenes.
December 26, 2015
One of Donnie Yens best performances. One of Wilson Yip's finest, well-paced, well-structured films.
December 15, 2015
Simplistic martial arts movie, by sticking to the action sequences and not relaying on unnecessary gimmicks, it makes for a great watch. The dignified characteristic of IP Man adds to the charms although it's oblivious that's it's a made up tale and not a biopic as the movie tries to portray.