Ip Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ip Man Reviews

½ February 5, 2016
Ip Man is modern martial arts masterpiece. It combines good storytelling with some breath-taking and well choreographed fight scenes. The editing, music, and acting are all top notch. It defies the cliches of a martial arts film by making it noteworthy with a good plot and lots of character development. Definitely not one that can be missed for fans of the genre, he colour saturation change also affect moods quite nicely. Watch this one to see Donnie Yen at the height of his powers.
January 27, 2016
One of the best Martial Art Films!! Blown away when I found out its loosely based on Bruce Lee's teacher!!! Freaking must see film!!!
½ January 22, 2016
This is an amazing story. Not sure it deserves the R-rating. The end fight is rather brutal but the story is deep and moving. If you're a martial arts fan, you've probably already seen this, but if not, check it out now!
January 22, 2016
One of my very favourite marital arts movies ever
January 21, 2016
"ASTOUNDING | CLASSIC | INSPIRATIONAL | MESMERIZING" (91-out-of-100)
½ January 21, 2016
It's structurally disjointed and (I suspect) rather hagiographic, but who cares if the result is fun and inspiring? Nowhere near as insightful as The Grandmaster (which was also flawed), but the choreography is poetic in and of itself.
January 18, 2016
One of the best movies I have ever seen! Great message, action packed and also was based on a true story! I would have never watched it if it wasn't for Netflix.
January 18, 2016
I agree, it is the classic plot of good against evil with great poise and action. Well done movie with great acting ... Currently the highest grossing movie in China, was made by the frowing Chinese film industry. I have friends whose parents lived through the Japanese invasion of China. Any enemy can cause the people to rise up, but the Japanese were particularly cruel. This is the main reason the Chinese hate the Japanese to this day, especially the older generation.
½ January 17, 2016
The fight scenes are undoubtedly gripping, but the plot is a bit trite.
January 15, 2016
so much pain in the war era .. & the focus on how strong he is, yet powerless too in the insanity of war .. slow moving in a wonderful way that feels more realistic. not like western films that keep hitting you on the head with sensory stimulus. this is my favorite film series of all time ..
January 8, 2016
Good movie but a little depressing when the depression hit. Great fight scenes.
December 26, 2015
One of Donnie Yens best performances. One of Wilson Yip's finest, well-paced, well-structured films.
December 15, 2015
Simplistic martial arts movie, by sticking to the action sequences and not relaying on unnecessary gimmicks, it makes for a great watch. The dignified characteristic of IP Man adds to the charms although it's oblivious that's it's a made up tale and not a biopic as the movie tries to portray.
December 12, 2015
This movie is about the life of Grandmaster of Wing Chun, Yip Man, of taught the famous martial arts star, Bruce Lee
December 4, 2015
Ip Man has a jarring tonal shift, inconsistent structure and pacing and it could have been even better overall, but it is still quite a good film with fantastic action sequences that are so thrilling to watch and impeccably crafted, solid character development, good acting and it is a satisfying flick both as a historical biopic and as martial arts action.
½ November 13, 2015
85%
This is a story about Bruce Lee's master and this film is masterly. Unlike the recent Chinese films this film has believable action scenes and good acting mixed with good drama.
½ November 12, 2015
Martial arts master does not want to fight. Does NOT want to fight. DOES NOT. Okay. OK. Fight.
Kick ass all over the place.
What could be better in a martial arts film? Love it.
November 3, 2015
Great fun. Fairly loose with the facts of the legendary master who trained Bruce Lee. The fight choreography is stunning
October 23, 2015
El Kung Fu en está película haría a Ip man orgulloso. Buena trama también!!
October 3, 2015
I give it a begrudging 5/5 -- I think a low 4.75 is more appropriate. This series insinuates that it's a little more biopic than it actually is, but it's a great action picture - the kind that seemed to be retired with the timeless epic Fearless which was Jet Li's chosen final martial arts picture.

With Jet Li retired, even though Donnie Yen has been making movies nearly as long as Jet and they battled each other as far back as 1992, Donnie assures his rightful place as this generation's kung fu hero in Jet's absence.