Iraq in Fragments - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iraq in Fragments Reviews

May 24, 2014
It is more interesting to watch this along with Iraq's Guns for Hire.
December 1, 2013
Paste top 25 of decade #2
½ April 1, 2013
a pretty damning patchwork, low-key and intimate humanistic images of hope, chaos, youth, uncertainty. the kids were really cool
March 9, 2013
Great Story Telling For a Documentary, I Think James Longley Had Risk His Life To a Great Dangerous To Capture These Images,

The Editing Made This Movie a 5 Stars Film :)
February 5, 2012
A change of view from the people in Iraq.
October 17, 2011
Also "Ghosts of Abu Ghraib (2007)" HBO documentary, useful additional interviews. Lots of story around Samuel Provance on the web.
½ January 6, 2011
Yet more proof that the US needs to leave Iraq to itself.
½ November 20, 2010
Beautiful. Engaging. Can't believe it was shot on the DVX.
½ September 8, 2010
a beautifully shot visual poem. unlike many others, it's a documentary focusing on the people of iraq instead of the holy US army. one of the best documentaries i have ever watched.
3 different segments depict 3 different ideologies/ethnicities that are likely to clash in near future. the audience gets to meet the people in iraq through slice of life stories of ordinary people, which turns them into authentic characters to remember. we see their struggles, face their reality, feel the way they feel and get immensely disturbed at times.
August 11, 2010
Early on in James Longley?s astonishingly breathtaking Iraq in Fragments, a man sitting in a rubble-strewn street is heard to utter ?If it?s like this in the beginning-what will it be in the end?? Moments such as these, burned into the mind?s eye thanks to Longley?s vibrant photography, make this film more than memorable?it becomes eternal. The cinematography, editing, and music of Iraq in Fragments (all by the hand of Longley) help to make this whole package pure poetry.

Shot over two years by American Langley, Iraq in Fragments is an opus offering a trio of separate passionate portraits: ?Monhammed of Baghdad? follows a fatherless boy apprenticed to a domineering garage owner; ?Sadr?s South? chronicles Sadr followers rallying for regional elections even while they still enforce Islamic law with violent force; ?Kurdish Spring? tells the story of a Kurdish farming family welcoming the U.S. presence because it has offered them freedoms they never knew. Giving absorbing visage into the war-torn and not the actual war, this documentary unfolds these three engaging chapters that, taken together, form a prescient Greek Chorus giving voice to the Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds alike. Just as in America, however, the voice is resounding, but rarely harmoniously unified.

Though An Inconvenient Truth walked away with top honors at the Academy Awards, this accomplishment by no means bested Iraq in Fragments, which was also nominated. In a time dominated by many dire issues, some rise to the top of the public consciousness through politicking. Others stand on their own revelatory merits.

Bottom line: A resounding voice that must be heard.
½ June 26, 2010
"Our history has been written for thousands of years; he who tells history must tell it for all, not only for himself."

I've just finished watching the movie called "Iraq in Fragments," filmed before Bush/McCain pushed for and got authorization for what's now called "The Surge."

The first two parts of the film (Sunni and Shiite) were hard to watch. So many of these people are totally whacked.

Thousands of years, and they are still so whacked. I want to leave them alone to their thousands of years, but that's irresponsible because people like them are so vulnerable to dictators.

"But if there is religion left, it is among the Kurds."

The third section, Kurdish Spring, actually seemed hopeful. I'm happy for them; in fact, I want to visit them. I wonder if that's possible?

On a technical note - an amazing documentary. I'm surprised at the intrusiveness of the filming - it's so personal, the quality of the film/sound is outstanding, and how real it feels.
February 15, 2010
Not the view of the war that you generally get from newscasts, this documentary takes us into peoples' homes to find out how Iraq's inhabitants lead their day to day existence as political turmoil rages around them. I am surprised that people can remain calm in such circumstances.
August 24, 2009
This one was well done and well made. It gave thoughtful insight as to what's been going on in Iraq. I would recommend this one.
June 24, 2009
An often lyrical, intimate look at the everyday lives of people in a fractured Iraq. Beautifully shot and well edited. The image grading is fantastic, especially in the third part which focuses on a shepherd and his family.
½ June 10, 2009
Well produced, informative film about Iraq told from the point of view of the Iraqis. James Longley did a great job.
½ May 24, 2009
I liked the first and third stories in this film, but overall I thought it was too long and that the doc should have focused on one story - Part one - Mohammed. Longley says he spent hours trying to become part of the fabric of the city so that no one noticed his camera, but this is where I think it falls down. I don't think they ever forgot. There are frustrating gaps in what the film covers, also because it trys to do too much.
April 23, 2009
There's not a huge amount here we haven't seen on the news over the past several years, but it's very well filmed and does give a view of average Iraqis' lives we don't often get.
½ April 17, 2009
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
March 29, 2009
Excellent. Well shot, great story-telling, the stuff of greatness.
March 10, 2009
Not interested with this film...