The Iron Giant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Iron Giant Reviews

January 8, 2017
This movie is truly awesome. The animation and story are absolutely great to look at, and it's one of the best animated movies ever made.
January 8, 2017
When I was 5 years old, I got this movie for Christmas. I had gone to see a movie in theaters with my family and this was one of the trailers. Needless to say, as I watched the movie (I cannot recall what movie it was) I was more excited for the Iron Giant than the actual movie we were seeing. I remember opening up the wrapping paper and yelling with joy that I had gotten the movie. I ran around the living room holding out while laughing and shouting. I immediately popped the tape in to watch it after the unwrapping had finished. As a 5 year old, the actual impact of the movie was lost on me and it was merely an entertaining animated film. As I grew and watched the movie many more times it's true gravity began to dawn on me. This movie has gotten me threw many rough times as a very depressed and lonely teenager and has even gone to college with me. This one of my go to movies if I ever feel sad. The whole aspect of unconditional love for someone is beautiful and the ending (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it the whole way through) is, frankly, heartbreaking. Fast forward to Christmas this year 2016. As I ripped open the wrapping paper, the now 22 year old me, smiled as I held the DVD of the Iron Giant in my hands. I didn't scream or yell this time, but it really touched me deep down that even today a whole 17 years later, this movie still moves me, sometimes to the point of tears. If you haven't watched this movie, I suggest it with my whole heart. It's truly a cinematic masterpiece.
½ January 7, 2017
Great throw back to 1950's sci-fi and one of the greatest family movies ever made.
January 6, 2017
Awesome. There is more depth and feeling poured into this movie than even the source material expects. The blend of eerie atmosphere and heart is a rare mix. Watch it.
½ January 3, 2017
Well, that is a charming and surprisingly affecting movie. It's on HBO Now if, like me, you'd never seen it before.
½ December 30, 2016
Comes off as older than it is with a great cast.
½ December 27, 2016
One of Brad Bird's Best
½ December 26, 2016
One of the best animated films of all time blending 3D and 2D animation seamlessly with Vin Denzel's best performance of his life in a film that actually meant something.
½ December 12, 2016
Wow. Brad Bird conseguiu - já em seu longa de estreia - um êxito narrativo, poético e visual. Filme pra se deleitar e se emocionar. Muito.
November 28, 2016
This has a superb, fun, heartwarming story, a great cast, and wonderful animation.
November 4, 2016
A great film, an instant Classic.
October 31, 2016
This is brilliant, I remember loving the source book as a child and I remember enjoying watching this film on first release but watching again with my 3 year old this truly is a joy. A great story and truly beautiful animation, this totally captivates from the word go. Perhaps a little more for older kids but then I was worried my son might get a little scared when the guns came out but instead I just got 'WOOAH!' 'WOOOWWW! DADDY LOOK AT THAT!!' He loved it as much as me.
October 30, 2016
A perfect masterpiece just waiting to be rui- I mean rebooted
October 23, 2016
- Just watched this film for the 2nd time. Great movie from Brad Bird who also did "The Incredibles" which I loved. The story is great, as is the animation and voice acting. Everything comes together perfectly for a classic film!

- What a fantastic movie! I hadn't seen it before. Brad Bird is a cut-above the rest in my opinion. This movie is stylistic and has a great story. Check it out if you've never seen it.
October 14, 2016
one of my favorite films of all time!!!
½ September 19, 2016
How about I just cut to the chase? The Iron Giant is a nearly perfect animated film. Let's start with the setting. It's so wonderful to have the small-town 1950's vibe for the warm beginning that's all about making a new friend. But it also transitions well into the fear and paranoia that many felt at the time because of the Bomb and the Red Scare. Hogarth is a simple inquisitive kid, which is a good protagonist for our story, and it makes him easy to identify with. I have to say, the establishment of the friendship between Hogarth and the Giant is a little rushed, but I think it's justified because they set him up in the beginning as a boy who quickly grows attached to creatures. Speaking of setting things up, on a rewatch I was amazed how blatantly they foreshadow the climax of the film. I didn't see it coming the first time, but they start laying the groundwork for how the story will end 30 minutes or less into the movie. Some people might not like how obvious the foreshadowing is, but I think most of it is solidly built into the plot with appropriate setup and pay-off. And that pay-off is the kind that makes grown men weep. I don't just tear up or get a little misty-eyed with The Iron Giant, I have tears rolling down my face every time. Clearly the film connects with me in a deep way to elicit that kind of reaction. All this, and it has a good moral message as well, which both adults and children can learn from. I love this movie, and would highly recommend it to anyone.
September 15, 2016
A monumental achievement in animation. One of the greatest ever made.
½ September 11, 2016
An animated masterpiece that all animation fans will enjoy!
½ August 30, 2016
An underrated & beautifully made animated film helmed by Brad Bird a big name in the Simpsons Television Show.

A simple story of a dreamy young boy finding a massive robot in the nearby forest that he befriends despite his gigantic size.

The story takes a surprise & deeper turn in the third act & really touches your heart. A film that sadly came & went but was a real standout Animated Feature.
½ August 26, 2016
It may not have made an impact at the box office, but in my heart, this is a very special animated feature.