Iron Jawed Angels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iron Jawed Angels Reviews

May 15, 2016
I love this movie. It's my new favorite. There is depth to the female characters. I love the scene where "Doris Stevens" is getting hot for a guy working in the street. Women are complex humans but are often portrayed as two dimensional characters. Not so in this movie. Well done. I highly recommend watching it.
½ January 11, 2016
I loved this movie. Every woman in America should watch it. Men too, if they care about women's rights and why they are important.
½ July 16, 2015
I don't know what this was trying to be. but whatever it was it fell flat on its face
September 27, 2014
Excellent movie. Excellent acting.
½ July 27, 2014
Ok before I go into detail, I did not watch this movie by choice, this was a film shown to me in a U. S. History summer school class, the teachers intention was to teach about women's right but in the end this movie taught me how to NOT make a women's rights movie. God this movie was so lousy, it actually pissed me and my friend off that we were watching this sh*t. Everything about this film was a pure atrocity from its horrible directing to its poor acting to its painful editing to its unbearable music choices. There was literally a sequence with a women's rights protest that featured rock music when rock music wasn't even invented at the time. It also seemed hypocritical that the whole film was trying to prove women deserve rights yet every female character in this movie ( the protagonist in particular ) was portrayed as inferior and stupid. Overall, this was one of the worst movies ever made. I'm shocked HBO let them make this!
May 9, 2014
This is my favorite movie. I love this movie and the fact that most of it is true. It is very well directed and written wonderfully!
January 7, 2014
5 stars - every man, woman, and child should see it. As democracy appears to be losing ground in the U.S. for more than one reason, the story of how women got the vote inspires one to fight for what is right and just for every citizen.
October 24, 2013
Hilary Swank is actually hot which I had no idea (at least in this), and the movie picks up in the second half. When Swank gets jailed and gets all rogue its actually interesting... sort of. Music is so out of place at times you can't help but laugh.
June 13, 2013
Can't help but think "why is Patrick Dempsey in this movie?" Was there some reason for throwing him into the mix besides needing to have a "hunk" in it? I think the movie would've proved okay anyway....
June 11, 2013
Slow-moving, but a fascinating story. I have not fully appreciated the women who fought for the vote.
March 26, 2013
We recently visited the Occoquan Workhouse that has now been turned into beautiful studios for artists.

I will never taking voting for granted ever again!
February 22, 2013
For a movie about social limitations on women, a naked back on the poster isn't exactly breaking stereotypes. That continues through the film itself: there is snappy dialogue, anachronistic soundtrack with Sade and other tunes, plus an out of place masturbation scene that makes you wonder why this film couldn't make up its mind to be art house or HBO fizz.

The prison scenes keep the movie from being a complete waste of time as it revs walks a dark side of the Woodrow Wilson presidency and a dark chapter in American history.
February 20, 2013
Fantastic topic matter bogged down by corn dog direction and editing. High production value and B acting makes the 2hr film bearable. Music is laughably out of place.
½ February 18, 2013
this is one really good movie!!!!
January 13, 2013
If you are a woman you need to see this.
December 29, 2012
Although not-rated I would rate this "PG-13" as there is a nude butt scene, two bath scenes, and a middle finger so don't watch this with young children and only with adolescents if they are very mature and you're explaining things to them. This movie was extremely well-done, powerful, and motivational. After seeing the young activists for women's suffrage risked for my right to vote, I will never again throw away my vote thinking it doesn't count for much. I LOVED the costumes, music, and overall beautiful cinematography. The acting is superb.
December 2, 2012
A really powerful movie. I really liked it!
October 17, 2012
You go Hillary! It was very well acted. No wonder she has two Oscars
½ October 11, 2012
It is an interesting but true fact that that other nations like England, New Zealand, Russia and some other countries all gave women the vote before America did. A truly remarkable story with an impressive casts. Strong performances from its leads, and Hilary Swank and Frances O'Connor. Swank portrays an American feminist who risked her life to fight for women's citizenship and the right to vote. Swank certainly proves she's got what it takes to play this indomitable spirit. This HBO feature is an inspiring but also an excruciating look at what women were willing to sacrifice and what humiliations they were willing to endure to secure a woman's right to vote even as America stood on the precipice of WWI. The movie does not flinch away from the brutality that women suffered while in prison. Lookout for Vera Farmiga.
September 20, 2012
Of the posts you show below--the men hated it and the lone women loved it....Go Figure.