Iron Jawed Angels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iron Jawed Angels Reviews

February 13, 2017
As one reviewer asked "why weren't we taught this in school?" I had no idea the lengths to which my sisters had to go to get our right to vote.

And I now know that August 26th was designated "Women's Equality Day" by congress - Thank you Bella Abzug - but I've yet to see it on a calendar! It was only a step... and the ERA still hasn't passed.
February 6, 2017
Until 1920, women in the United States were barred. They could not vote. They were not welcomed at school. They were contained to work at home. They were held back from dressing as they'd like. They were looked at as weak, as the least of problems America had to deal with then. In the 2004 movie, directed by Katja von Garnier, "Iron Jawed Angels", the fight during the 1920s for woman suffrage from women all over the country was shown. During this time having both men and women oppose women's rights made the disagreement a lot more intense and tough.
The film begins by introducing two friends, Alice Paul and Lucy Burns, who both share the same desire to have the right to vote. At the time the right to vote was determined by state so these women wanted the federal decision. They began by meeting with Carrie Chapman Catt and Anna Howard Shaw, two representatives from the National American Woman Suffrage Association to explain that all women should have the right to vote but they did not support the idea of including it into the constitution. With the helpless support from these women, Paul and Burns decided to start their own group and begin with a huge event, a parade. They recruited a team of volunteers to begin the movement. Their association ran on their own funds including donations they had gathered while promoting women's suffrage. Paul tries to convince a labor lawyer, Inez Mulholland, to join their group and be apart of the parade they were planning. When doing so, Paul meets a political cartoonist, Ben Weismann, and there is an instant connection. Later, Paul and her team get harassed and riots begin to outbreak so more attention is being focused on this issue. President Woodrow Wilson is then addressed and pushed to consider the problem but quickly ignores it. While searching for more help, Paul demands that Weismann contributes his abilities as a newspaper writer to help with the cause. He agrees only if Paul goes on a date with him and so she does because of her significant motive for a change. Their group, the National Woman's Party, starts their movement across the country. Senator Leighton stops his wife Emily's allowance after figuring out she had made donations to the NWP. Mulholland explains how tired she is and how she doesn't want to join them for the trip but Paul convinces her come. During one of their events, Mulholland passes out and soon dies in the hospital due to high anemia. Paul immediately blames herself for Mulholland's death and wishes to end her fight so she moves back to a farm back home. Burns visits and convinces Paul that their fight is not over yet and she should come back to Washington. When the women return, their next plan is to picket the White House. The President is not bothered by it because it's their right and he thinks they'll eventually quit. The picketers are arrested for "obstructing traffic" and sent to court. They refuse to pay any fines for crimes they didn't commit because they see themselves as political prisoners. The women are locked up for 60 days with no chance of leaving. Paul is sent to jail and demanded to be checked for mental illness but she explains that her courage is being mistaken as insanity and there is no problem. She returns and leads a hunger strike causing the women to start getting force fed raw eggs. The mistreatment of these women are leaked out and more support for the NWP is present. Catt convinces the president to release them. When they are out, the amendment is brought up where 35 states ratify it and just one more is needed. Tennesee changes their mind after receiving a telegram from his mother from anti suffrage to his yellow rose, suffrage. In 1920, the right finally became a law for about 20 million women in America.
This movie was amazing in terms of presenting the reality these women faced. I really enjoyed how the challenges were shown because the whole process wasn't just one protest that changed the law. The actors all had passion in their eyes and a fight in their breath which allowed the audience to realize how important this was and how hard history was fought, through the harsh opposition. When President Wilson kept laughing at the picketers, the push to keep standing up for their beliefs was presented. At times when they wanted to give up, they demonstrated in their actions how if change doesn't happen now, they don't know when it will. When the amendment was passed at the end of the movie, the happiness and pride was presented in calmness and relief.
Any person that supports women's rights would enjoy this movie because extremely valid points are made towards the treatment of women. Now, during the time after the election, gender discrimination is a huge issue that has come up and seeing how hard they fought almost 100 years ago proves that if we stand tall, we won't back down. That no matter how much the president disapproves of women's rights, we will continue to fight to become equal.

-- Raeann Zarou
May 15, 2016
I love this movie. It's my new favorite. There is depth to the female characters. I love the scene where "Doris Stevens" is getting hot for a guy working in the street. Women are complex humans but are often portrayed as two dimensional characters. Not so in this movie. Well done. I highly recommend watching it.
½ January 11, 2016
I loved this movie. Every woman in America should watch it. Men too, if they care about women's rights and why they are important.
½ July 16, 2015
I don't know what this was trying to be. but whatever it was it fell flat on its face
September 27, 2014
Excellent movie. Excellent acting.
½ July 27, 2014
Ok before I go into detail, I did not watch this movie by choice, this was a film shown to me in a U. S. History summer school class, the teachers intention was to teach about women's right but in the end this movie taught me how to NOT make a women's rights movie. God this movie was so lousy, it actually pissed me and my friend off that we were watching this sh*t. Everything about this film was a pure atrocity from its horrible directing to its poor acting to its painful editing to its unbearable music choices. There was literally a sequence with a women's rights protest that featured rock music when rock music wasn't even invented at the time. It also seemed hypocritical that the whole film was trying to prove women deserve rights yet every female character in this movie ( the protagonist in particular ) was portrayed as inferior and stupid. Overall, this was one of the worst movies ever made. I'm shocked HBO let them make this!
1/10
May 9, 2014
This is my favorite movie. I love this movie and the fact that most of it is true. It is very well directed and written wonderfully!
January 7, 2014
5 stars - every man, woman, and child should see it. As democracy appears to be losing ground in the U.S. for more than one reason, the story of how women got the vote inspires one to fight for what is right and just for every citizen.
October 24, 2013
Hilary Swank is actually hot which I had no idea (at least in this), and the movie picks up in the second half. When Swank gets jailed and gets all rogue its actually interesting... sort of. Music is so out of place at times you can't help but laugh.
June 13, 2013
Can't help but think "why is Patrick Dempsey in this movie?" Was there some reason for throwing him into the mix besides needing to have a "hunk" in it? I think the movie would've proved okay anyway....
June 11, 2013
Slow-moving, but a fascinating story. I have not fully appreciated the women who fought for the vote.
March 26, 2013
We recently visited the Occoquan Workhouse that has now been turned into beautiful studios for artists.

I will never taking voting for granted ever again!
February 22, 2013
For a movie about social limitations on women, a naked back on the poster isn't exactly breaking stereotypes. That continues through the film itself: there is snappy dialogue, anachronistic soundtrack with Sade and other tunes, plus an out of place masturbation scene that makes you wonder why this film couldn't make up its mind to be art house or HBO fizz.

The prison scenes keep the movie from being a complete waste of time as it revs walks a dark side of the Woodrow Wilson presidency and a dark chapter in American history.
February 20, 2013
Fantastic topic matter bogged down by corn dog direction and editing. High production value and B acting makes the 2hr film bearable. Music is laughably out of place.
½ February 18, 2013
this is one really good movie!!!!
January 13, 2013
If you are a woman you need to see this.
December 29, 2012
Although not-rated I would rate this "PG-13" as there is a nude butt scene, two bath scenes, and a middle finger so don't watch this with young children and only with adolescents if they are very mature and you're explaining things to them. This movie was extremely well-done, powerful, and motivational. After seeing the young activists for women's suffrage risked for my right to vote, I will never again throw away my vote thinking it doesn't count for much. I LOVED the costumes, music, and overall beautiful cinematography. The acting is superb.
December 2, 2012
A really powerful movie. I really liked it!
October 17, 2012