Thoughts on the Mandarin twist? *SPOILERS*

My personal thoughts on the twist involving Killian and The Mandarin aren't all that positive. I was a bit disappointed when it was revealed that The Mandarin was only a paid actor and that the real villain was a seemingly much less threatening and interesting villain, Killian. I'm not a huge comic book fan, however I'm aware that The Mandarin is pretty much Iron Man's biggest threat and the most important villain of all of the comics. I disliked the twist because while it was ballsy, I was really digging Mandarin at the time so when it was revealed that he was all fake, I was bit upset.
Andrew Movie-man
05-5-2013 07:22 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

The Fortune cookie, an Americannnn invention, its hallowww, full of lies, anddd leaves a bad after taste in your mouth kinda like Iron Man 3.

May 6 - 08:21 PM

Bret Sheeley

Bret Sheeley

Agreed. In addition, there wasn't much of a real twist to it. We knew Killian was already a major bad-guy in the film. That was plain from the beginning. All the twist did was derail who everybody knew was the biggest threat in the film so Tony could focus on the lesser bad guy who set up the impersonations. At least the real Mandarin and Ten Rings is still out there in the Marvel Universe somewhere. Hopefully he'll show up in a later movie soon.

May 6 - 05:55 AM

All-Knowing Panda

Trading Card Panda

The twist disappointed me but it didn't stop me from liking the movie, it was still good. I personally think it would have been better without the idealized mandarin but I do get the point they were trying to make.

Anyone trying to make the statement that this movie was crap are wrong, you may find it disappointing that it didn't do with a character how you wanted it to be done but that doesn't make the entire film crap. The twist was a problem with the movie, sure, but that doesn't alone make the movie bad.

May 5 - 10:05 PM

Eric Graham

Eric Graham

I thought the twist disappointed me on a certain scale. In the comics, the Mandarin was an actual intimidating threat to Iron Man. I mean, yes, he has the 10 rings on his hands, but seriously... an actor??!! He posed a serious threat to Iron Man and the rest of SHIELD! He has extensive knowledge of martial arts, is very resilient, can starve without dying, and those 10 rings with different functions... and only to find out that he's an actor hired by Killian and no action from the Mandarin?? -__-

May 5 - 10:01 PM

Daniel G.

Daniel Ganser

I liked the movie, but I agree with you.

May 5 - 08:56 PM

Louis Davila

Louis Davila

crap pile of crap Mandarin twist-dumb azz

May 5 - 08:37 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Personally, I thought it was a stroke of genius. However, I figured it out quite early on, at the scene when Kingsley gets out of the car and walks towards the throne.

This particular twist (bad guy = actor!) has been done before, though I am struggling, and have been struggling ever since seeing IM3, to remember exactly in which movie this has happened before.

May 5 - 08:37 PM

Michael Indo

Michael Indo

I liked it. It was something that's never really been seen before. But most of the people whining about the twist are too short-sighted to realize that Guy Pierce's character was the real Mandarin, and Ben Kingsley's character was the idealized version.

May 5 - 08:09 PM

Mark De Leon

Mark De Leon

Go watch Batman Begins and try making that statement again.

May 5 - 10:32 PM

Michael Indo

Michael Indo

Everybody knew Liam Neeson was Rah's Al Ghul, so it surprised nobody.

May 6 - 05:44 AM

Jonny Claveria

Jonny Claveria

Personally, I think they could've done the it better. Now, do not get me wrong, because I love the movie. I'm a long-time Marvel Comic's fan, and I loved the movie, but they could've showed that he was a decoy in a different way. The way the portrayed it was for comedic purposes, which most Marvel movies have to have.

No comic movie can be perfectly accurate to the comic books, so just enjoy the movie for what it was. I just took it as a fun movie to watch. If you want something close to the comics, just go read the comics themselves.

May 5 - 08:06 PM

Johnny Ross

Johnny Ross

I think that Ben Kingsley's character is the real Mandarin.

For some reason he wanted to get caught, or he was put in a bad situation and figured he would make everyone believe he was a fake.

He probably won't be in jail for too long, and if his rings aren't powered yet, they can always become powerful later.

May 5 - 07:27 PM

Daniel G.

Daniel Ganser

You're wrong & looking way too far into this. Killian even states " I AM THE MANDARIN" so....

May 5 - 08:58 PM

Mark De Leon

Mark De Leon

I agree.

May 5 - 10:34 PM

Mike Rentschler

Mike Rentschler

Right, because NO egomaniac would claim to have more power than he really did in an attempt to make himself look better than his ACTUAL position of a lackey to his ARCH NEMESIS. That's just CRAZY, right? Of course, Loki was happy to let the Avengers believe everything that happened in New York in regards to the Tesseract was HIS doing (to show his adopted brother how "powerful" he was, i.e. rubbing it in his face). When the movie ended, the Avengers thought that they had taken out the REAL enemy by the end of the movie, when in REALITY they had done nothing but take out the lackey of Thanos (who they don't even know yet). But the same concept of a lackey taking credit for his bosses plan in Iron Man 3 is a............Reach??????????

Brilliant!

May 5 - 11:02 PM

Mark De Leon

Mark De Leon

Whoa! That's just waaaaay too much of a reach.

May 5 - 10:35 PM

Mike Rentschler

Mike Rentschler

For example, did anyone not wonder who Kingsley's character was made to look like when A.I.M. did the plastic surgery on him? He definitely didn't look Chinese, so what then, who? There was more happening in this film than people want to believe I guess. Another example, in the first Iron Man film, the Ten Rings symbols are all over the place. As were they in this film. What does A.I.M. have to do with the Ten Rings and their symbology????

May 5 - 11:06 PM

Daniel G.

Daniel Ganser

Pretty sure they were just a gang symbol. Like blue for Crips and NY Yankee hats for... all criminals...

Also looking at whom had signed contracts with Marvel (Disney) for future movies, I'm pretty sure that the Mandarin is entirely a stand alone villain for one film.

May 6 - 01:14 AM

Duncan Moseley

Duncan Moseley

Except his rings are supposed to be magic, and Marvel has already stated that there will be no magic in the cinematic universe.

May 6 - 04:30 PM

Alex Yohai

Alex Yohai

... Other than the God of Thunder zapping down to Earth for the occasional brawl?

May 6 - 04:41 PM

James Fisher

James Fisher

To quote Thor: Your ancestors called it magic and you called it science. From where I come from they're one in the same.
Possible explanation for the whole No Magic thing?

May 6 - 08:00 PM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile