Iron Man 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Iron Man 3 Reviews

½ November 21, 2017
(7.5/10)
This was a good time and better than Iron Man 2. This was almost as good as Iron Man. If only that the major plot points were better realized. Looking at you, Mandarin.
November 21, 2017
Wow, while visually some beautiful shots this is simply a bad movie with no story, incredibly disappointed
November 19, 2017
With comic book movies, there is a repeating cycle. The first one has our attention. The sequel, most of the time (in the case of Spider-man 2, The Dark Knight, X2, etc.), outdoes the original. But then we are eventually faced with the third part. In some cases (The Dark Knight Rises), the third part kicks ass. In most cases (Spider-man 3, X-Men: The Last Stand), they are the weakest. Luckily, this is simply not the case for Iron Man 3.

The film takes place after the events of The Avengers, and Tony Stark (the always wonderfully charismatic Robert Downey Jr.) is falling apart. He's losing sleep, he's having anxiety attacks, and he is slowly becoming distant from his faithful girlfriend Pepper (wonderfully played by Gwenyth Paltrow again). But it only gets worse when a terrorist named The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley, putting on a chilling accent) starts wreaking havoc across the globe.

Guy Pearce shows up as a scientist named Aldrich Killian (what a villain name), and if you know anything about Guy Pearce, you can assume Aldrich isn't very nice. Rebecca Hall, who is very underrated might I add, shows up as Maya, a scientist girl that Tony met in the 90s. And Don Cheadle reprises his Iron Man 2 role as Jim Rhoades, Tony's best friend. There are a lot of plot details that I will leave out because I want you to see Iron Man 3 with an empty mind, otherwise it can't be enjoyed.

I was feeling a lot of things throughout Iron Man 3. I was really into it in the first half hour. Then, these weird fire people showed up, and I thought, "Oh God, are we watching Thor?" (I actually love Thor, but I found the blend of fantasy at first off). But as the film went on it all made sense and I accepted it. Then, I was also feeling de ja vu, because I felt like Killian and Mandarin were fairly similar to Justin Hammer and Ivan from the previous. But that is one of the wonderful things about Iron Man 3: It's unpredictable.

Iron Man 3 is damn good. The heart and soul of this trilogy is Downey Jr., and here is is at his best doing what he does best. Iron Man is my favorite of The Avengers, and really, could you blame me? Downey's amazing. What helps this time is the fact that this one is directed and co-written by Shane Black (Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). Black has a gift with blending action with humor, and this is easily the funniest of the trilogy. It is also the best acted.

I had a total blast here. Is it as good as something like The Dark Knight trilogy? Well, if you know my stance on that trilogy, then that answer is obvious. Is it as good as the first two? Yes, and maybe even better. The film has a great energy, a great sense of humor, some terrific surprises and some terrific action sequences that will leave the inner nerd within jumping for joy.

I find it difficult to give comic book movies a 10/10, mainly because I have such a high standard when it comes to them. Yes, perfect comic book movies exist. Is Iron Man 3 perfect? Not quite, because it doesn't exactly have the themes that the perfect comic book movies acquire. In other words, I wasn't moved by it. But that's okay, because the Iron Man trilogy isn't meant to be taken as seriously as some others, and so they shouldn't. But no comic book movie in a long time has danced this close to perfection in a long time. This could be the end of Iron Man. I hope it isn't, but at least he goes out in style.
½ November 19, 2017
Absolute and total crap. Not a single redeaming quality. A massive mess, full of plot holes, forced "humor", no tension, absolutely no interest, no villain, aaaaand no Iron Man. Half a star is too much for this.
½ November 18, 2017
Following the incredible Avengers, Iron Man 3 certainly suffers from the comparison to its predecessor, but what really kills the movie is having a bland villain, and totally botching the potential they had with the Mandarin. The movie is still fun, it still has action and jokes, but I can't get past the fact they missed "Who made Who" by AC/DC(a clear metaphor to the movie's plot and continuing the trend of AC/DC music in Iron Man films).
½ November 18, 2017
Horrible horrendous movie. Hey let's have no villain but make you think there's a villain. Awful movie.marvel has put out more awful movies then good..
November 18, 2017
Terrible from start to finish
November 15, 2017
Mandarin should have actually been the villain...
½ November 14, 2017
A movie that totally wasted a good villain which is unforgivable! Otherwise it's funny and well put together! If only they weren't so bad at making decisions!
November 9, 2017
Iron Man 3 is a very messy film, with some memorable moments.
½ November 7, 2017
Though occasionally funny, action packed and entertaining enough for Iron Man fans, this third installment has a brittle and brainless plot with a disappointing twist.
November 6, 2017
While it's not the best MCU movie, it's still the best Iron Man movie with a 3rd act that actually makes sense.
November 4, 2017
Great at the beginning then ended off bad.
½ November 3, 2017
This installment probably would have been as good, if not better than the first if not for "Trevor Slattery." Let's be honest, that was a huge let down. I would have been okay with Killian killing, as long as The Mandarin was actually The Mandarin.
November 3, 2017
This was fun, as were the two previous titles. However, it seems to be a theme that the third installation of a superhero series falls short of its prequels. I won't sit here and slam the film because it is entertaining and it's hard to crash and burn with a $200 million budget. But I do want to highlight some of my problems with the film. Initially, the first 20 minutes are fun and witty as expected from the anticipated bantering from Robert Downey Jr. But the climax is so unexpected and uncomfortable. With Stark's "best friend" security guard named, Happy, in a coma, that is where Iron Man tips and seeks righteous vengeance? The Mandarin didn't exhibit his actual powers accurate to the comics? Unresolved anxiety attacks administered to by a 12 year-old therapists? Pepper Potts kills the Mandarin? And once again another showdown with the superhero handicapped for the villains convenience. A lot of discomfort to include in a blockbuster with a monumental budget. But the finale distracts you from all of this with 100 unique Iron Man suits pummeling the bad guys. "Did you see that?! What did I not like about this movie again?"
October 31, 2017
A significant improvement over its lacklustre predecessor, Iron Man 3 delivers more RDJ, incredible visuals and a controversial yet incredibly brave twist
October 30, 2017
Shane Black goes off the typical Marvel-story-recipe track and serves a very witty and clever action comedy blockbuster which basically says "I'm not here to follow your expectations" and I absolutely love it.
October 28, 2017
Plot was not as intriguing as others previous
½ October 21, 2017
34%
Ben Kingsley is the only saving grace of this mediocrity.
½ October 20, 2017
2013 FILM: "IRON MAN III"
Director: Shane Black
Lead Actors: Robert Downey Jr./ Gwyneth Paltrow
Don Cheadle/ Guy Pierce
Iron Man 3 should have been the greatest accomplishment out of the series of films. The predecessors succeeded in building a great reputation that was marveling universal to all types of audiences , even the anti graphic novelist.
While I was viewing this much anticipated film I was seriously baffled and instantly wondered if it were done by the same writer/director of the previous two film and in the worst way possible my notions were correct. It was done by a completely new film crew all the way up the chain and severely suffered from it to say the least! I was extremely disappointed overall and do not recommend this film.