Ironclad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ironclad Reviews

November 20, 2014
A very odd cast made up of a few famous names from either side of the pond and a few cast-off's from UK hooligan films. The historical element was there but not important to the film as it was basically a series of battles over a castle. The battles themselves though were pretty unique to this type of period film as they were super gory. The effects money was all spent on making a realistic attempt at showing people being cut up, and it was a real surprise at how effective it was. Gotta say that the whole film was ruined by the ending, surely that never happened in real history.
November 12, 2014
- - ?????????????????? ????????????? ?????????????
October 23, 2014
Alright. Some wacky ass characters. But not a bad film.
October 20, 2014
Gory and one dimensional with a wee bit of history thrown in
½ October 7, 2014
Great film! Visually striking! It kept me entertained from beginning to end. Brian Cox puts on a great performance as always. I trust everyone will enjoy this film.
jjnxn
September 13, 2014
Too dark, too bloody, too long.
September 9, 2014
I was expecting a low budget, poorly made film... but what i got was a well made, glossier than expected siege movie.
The story could fit on the back of a postage stamp, and it's a real shame about that. But the lavish visuals, the gory fx, the sumptuous music, kinda make up for it. Not totally mind, but enough to make this film enjoyable to watch.
August 24, 2014
While it was in fact a good movie... The story was a bit hard to follow.
August 18, 2014
I enjoyed this more than I thought that I would. I expected much more cheesiness, the kind that comes with the straight to DVD medieval movies I'm used to in order to get my castle and knight fix, but this is played in all seriousness and done quite well. It isn't epic in the sense of Robin Hood or Kingdom of Heaven is, but its small rag tag team of knights, barons and fighters keeps it entertaining amidst all the gore, grit and fighting. If you like medieval movies then most certainly check this one out. If you're a history purist or looking for more epic adventure, then look elsewhere.
August 12, 2014
Action packed and gory swordplay, but with a very stale and linear plot.
August 12, 2014
Good film if only for the fact that it keeps you entertained to the end and doesn't shy away from the realities of battle.
½ May 13, 2014
Extremely predictable with corny, juvenile dialogue and a really lame attempt at romance. The medieval look of the land and the bleak setting is intriguing and the violence suitable conveys the simple brutality of the times. Good premise with a lot of potential, but executed poorly.
½ April 23, 2014
Another Netflix streaming special. I've seen parts of this before but never caught the entire film. It's my genre for sure, some good sword fighting and killing.

Has some great scenery and locations and surprisingly strong cast of actors. The problem is the writing or this could have been a very special movie. Worth a watch still though for fans of The Dark Ages movies.

James Purefoy from The Following, Paul Giamatti as King John, and the lovely Kate Mara. Game of Thrones fans will also recognize Charles Dance (Lord Tywin Lannister) and also Mackenzie Crook who plays Orell the Wildling Worg that Jon Snow killed at the end of season 3.
April 22, 2014
61%
By far the bloodiest movie I've ever seen.
April 8, 2014
Okay...I'll be honest....the main reason why I wanted to watch this was because of James Purefoy and Paul Giamatti. Love them!

Besides for the actors and the awesome fight scenes this...well...disappointed me. It was extremely historically inaccurate and there was a huge lack of dialogue and depth. Pretty much the actors are the only ones who saved the film. Especially James Purefoy who played the Knight Templar, Thomas Marshal. Thomas Marshal is made up (I looked) and was based off of the famous William Marshal. Poor Thomas. He lost everything in one day thanks to good ol' King John. He snapped and decided enough was enough, so he teamed up with Baron d'Aubigny. They take over a different Baron's castle and hold up against King John and his Danish army until the French arrive.

Throughout all this there is blood and love. Yes....there is a love story between Thomas and Lady Isabel (the castle's baron's wife. Tsk). It was forced and just didn't make sense. o.o She pretty much raped him, because he refused and said he was a man of God and had given up normal life to fight for God. She was like, "NO WAY JOSE! THE ORDER IS DONE, SO LET'S GET IT ON!" And he responded, "NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!.......OKAY. Just this once though!" Tsk, tsk. I feel like they forced this romance to add more depth to the story, but it failed. Plus it didn't help that they made her look slutty.

Is there and HEA? That I can not tell you....but the ending will make you shake your head. I loved the last fight between the head of the Danish army and Thomas. Awesome and had me worried for Thomas. There were lots of sad heroics, but then...something happened and it made me mad. I can not say, but alas, that's not how it should have ended.

There's not much else to say.

This was okay and I enjoyed it well enough. It was an interesting take on a historical event that happened during the time of King John and the magna carta. The amazing fight scenes and actors are the only reason to watch this film. If it wasn't for them...this would have been crap. I wish that they would have cut out the romance between Lady Isabel and Thomas (because it would never had happened). Also, the ending made me shake my head. I loved the last epic fight scene and the heroics...but the last 5 minutes was not okay. I would recommend this to those that like James Purefoy and for those that love a good war movie. Out of five stars I will grant this...ummmmm.... 2 stars.

Favorite Character(s): Thomas, King John (just because of the actor and how will he played him), Daniel Marks (hahaha), and the Squire
Not-so Favorite Character(s): Lady Isabel
April 6, 2014
This movie was bad ass! Why so under rated?
March 22, 2014
Full of crude battle action, but the story and characters remain bloodless. Ultimately predictable and boring. James Purefoy can do much better.
March 19, 2014
Decent story with a good casting. . worth the watch if you enjoy the 13th century historical themes.
March 14, 2014
Dumb medieval fun. Just my cup of tea. And James Purefoy's sword is fucking massive.
February 19, 2014