Ironclad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ironclad Reviews

May 25, 2015
Ironclad is a dark, bloody movie about the King John of England that signs the Magna Carta only to dismiss the document and rage war against the barons. Good cast, but I am sure a much better English actor could have played a better role than Paul Giamatti. Paul is a great actor but not as an English King. Overall it was a good movie, with a good plot. Okay to watch once.
March 23, 2015
Interesting film, something that's seen less and less. It does a pretty good job, but still I wasn't sure what to rate it, either 6 or 7 out of 10. It is a pretty violent, gory film, something that really surprised me. It has good effects, good story and looks very real for the most part. The acting and script was pretty good, it had some bad moments, and in fact was a little deprived at times of diologe, because of the main characters vow of silence. He does speak, and is a pretty cool and badass character, until there's women involved. It's supposed to be about the 'magnificent seven' but other than our main guy, nobody seems that magnificent. Their just a few ragtag people who were put into a group and of course are unbeatable. I don't know how historically correct this film is, but it seems a little far fetched to me. Anyway it's entertaining to watch, the story is cool, and it's over the top brutal and gory. Some of the gore looks fake and CGI, but at the same time it dosent, and for the most part it all looks strikingly real. The characters are good and liked, except of course the king their fighting against. The ending was good, with a great heroic and sad last battle, in which I thought might end in a twist but didn't. Anyway pretty good, summed up by the words, awkward, gory, authentic. The only reason this movie really holds up at all is because there is no competition, no movies that are about this topic that take it seriously without the use of witches of magic and crap like that.
December 30, 2014
Its directed with a grimy realism and some of the action is impressive, but it's just too hopeless. There isn't a single cathartic moment here. It all feels soaked in poor attempts at sentiment, and so much gore that it could make the most hardened of action fans feel uncomfortable. In a word: gross.
December 28, 2014
To much gratuitous violence. Problems with flow. Great cast.
December 18, 2014
Knights Templar fight to defend a castle from a murderous King. A King bent on taking control of others lands.
December 16, 2014
I love the Middle Ages, so I was really willing to like this movie, but I simply couldn't - there were too many cruel and disgusting scenes in it...:(
December 6, 2014
Mediocre TV movie with slightly more gore
November 20, 2014
A very odd cast made up of a few famous names from either side of the pond and a few cast-off's from UK hooligan films. The historical element was there but not important to the film as it was basically a series of battles over a castle. The battles themselves though were pretty unique to this type of period film as they were super gory. The effects money was all spent on making a realistic attempt at showing people being cut up, and it was a real surprise at how effective it was. Gotta say that the whole film was ruined by the ending, surely that never happened in real history.
November 12, 2014
- - ?????????????????? ????????????? ?????????????
October 23, 2014
Alright. Some wacky ass characters. But not a bad film.
October 20, 2014
Gory and one dimensional with a wee bit of history thrown in
½ October 7, 2014
Great film! Visually striking! It kept me entertained from beginning to end. Brian Cox puts on a great performance as always. I trust everyone will enjoy this film.
jjnxn
September 13, 2014
Too dark, too bloody, too long.
September 9, 2014
I was expecting a low budget, poorly made film... but what i got was a well made, glossier than expected siege movie.
The story could fit on the back of a postage stamp, and it's a real shame about that. But the lavish visuals, the gory fx, the sumptuous music, kinda make up for it. Not totally mind, but enough to make this film enjoyable to watch.
August 24, 2014
While it was in fact a good movie... The story was a bit hard to follow.
August 18, 2014
I enjoyed this more than I thought that I would. I expected much more cheesiness, the kind that comes with the straight to DVD medieval movies I'm used to in order to get my castle and knight fix, but this is played in all seriousness and done quite well. It isn't epic in the sense of Robin Hood or Kingdom of Heaven is, but its small rag tag team of knights, barons and fighters keeps it entertaining amidst all the gore, grit and fighting. If you like medieval movies then most certainly check this one out. If you're a history purist or looking for more epic adventure, then look elsewhere.
August 12, 2014
Action packed and gory swordplay, but with a very stale and linear plot.
August 12, 2014
Good film if only for the fact that it keeps you entertained to the end and doesn't shy away from the realities of battle.
½ May 13, 2014
Extremely predictable with corny, juvenile dialogue and a really lame attempt at romance. The medieval look of the land and the bleak setting is intriguing and the violence suitable conveys the simple brutality of the times. Good premise with a lot of potential, but executed poorly.
½ April 23, 2014
Another Netflix streaming special. I've seen parts of this before but never caught the entire film. It's my genre for sure, some good sword fighting and killing.

Has some great scenery and locations and surprisingly strong cast of actors. The problem is the writing or this could have been a very special movie. Worth a watch still though for fans of The Dark Ages movies.

James Purefoy from The Following, Paul Giamatti as King John, and the lovely Kate Mara. Game of Thrones fans will also recognize Charles Dance (Lord Tywin Lannister) and also Mackenzie Crook who plays Orell the Wildling Worg that Jon Snow killed at the end of season 3.