Reviews

• Sep 16, 2021

This was a surprisingly uplifting, non-partisan satire attacking our flawed political system rather than any political group. It's cruder and less endearing than Parks and Recreation, but it's similar in that you could watch it with anyone of any political affiliation.

• Aug 13, 2021

A little funny in some scenes. It may have been better if not trying to be a comedy. The chemistry between Carell and Byrne was tough to watch. Even worse with Carell and Davis. Yikes. It seems neither Carell or Stewart know how to do romance. As a political story it works a little better. You get the feeling a better movie was in there somewhere but it got subverted into a smarmy comedy. Too bad. The main plot twist was a great idea.

• Jun 30, 2021

"Irresistible" is hardly a hard-hitting political satire and while it is funny enough, with Steve Carell and Rose Bryne in its cast, I expected a lot more. The story of a Democratic strategist helping a retired veteran run for mayor in a small, conservative Midwest US town, has some unexpected turns in its ultimate message about the political campaign system in America.

• Jun 21, 2021

This movie does a great job of entertaining us and educating us.

This movie does a great job of entertaining us and educating us.

• Jun 19, 2021

Loved it, great parody of the US political system

Loved it, great parody of the US political system

• Jun 18, 2021

I think it's interesting enough, and I like how it ended, which made it stand out more than it otherwise would have I think. There's some dialogue in here that makes me wonder if they improvised some stuff. I don't think it all works great, but it's worth watching once if you enjoy political stuff.

• Jun 15, 2021

I liked it. The cast, even through to the minor players, are uniformly excellent and wit percolates through every scene. Underlying this is the sadness of the pointed satire that the system works this way. Recommended.

• Jun 13, 2021

Bad watch, won't watch again, and can't recommend. I'm not re-watching this for the review. While Steve Correll and Rose Byrne are both great actors, I can't admit to being big fans, and I'm willing to bet I find "The Campaign" entrertaining even if I did not find this so. And I didn't. Politics, especially politics that aren't yours, and fictional politics doubly so, are not entertaining. There supposed to be a serious attempt at managing how our levels of government are run. As this movie highlights, certain avenues of politics are just big gang wars, mostly financial, with everyone trying to do whatever they can to get whatever they can, whether it is ethical or not. The people that do what happens in this movie in real life either see it as a war, or a sadistic game, which is where the barest amount of entertainment appears in this movie. It's star-crossed lovers trying to hurt one another in the most complicated and costly way possible. The good story is the one they hide from you, and it's next to impossible to enjoy it with the "A" story in the way. Just don't bother unless you're a HUGE Steve Correll fan or a big political comedy movie fan.

• Jun 13, 2021

Unbelievably funny and educational at the exact same time!

Unbelievably funny and educational at the exact same time!

• Jun 08, 2021

I watched this movie without knowing anything about it. I was just looking for a movie to laugh about while I am stoned. It turned out an interesting, heartwarming, and entertaining political satire movie. I didn't have goofy laughs I was expecting, but, I got a few great laughs due to the commentary on the broken bipartisan political system. I really enjoyed it.