The Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Island Reviews

November 20, 2017
I just wasted several hours of my life. Started out fairly decent but quickly bottomed out. Turning into a ?no way in hell that would ever happen? action flick. For example, falling from 40 stories up and they didn?t even get a scratch, I don?t think their heart rate went about 120/80.
At least quality action movies like The Matrix have the characters invincibility written into the plot.
Horrible!
½ November 1, 2017
The most tolerable Michael Bay film I have seen so far. If it weren't for the bad cinematography, that one scene in the men's room, and the credits, I might have guessed somebody else directed this movie. The performances and dialogues don't feel so forced, the story is kind of interesting (if cliched), and the action was pretty decent. Nothing really stands out in this movie, but as popcorn entertainment, Bay could've done a lot worse. 7/10
½ October 13, 2017
One of the better Michael Bay movies. The Island definitely deserves higher than the critics rating.
August 17, 2017
I think the world was not ready for this amazing movie....I can't understand why the ratings are so low.....everything was top notch including story line, character building, the overall mood, music and so on.....it should run again in the movie theaters.
jamrcla
August 9, 2017
Well you can't argue it's different but it all seems abit too much for what the film offers, It does have some great action scenes and the plot does have some good twists but it does drag at times and the dialogue was pretty bad, With such a big cast it should of been better, It was fun but it tried to be bigger than it was and it made the film less fun.
June 19, 2017
This movie is fantastic, one of the greatest films by Michael Bay. Great story, great cinematography, great location shoots, great sound track. The story gets more and more interesting, beautiful ending. Love this movie
½ June 13, 2017
Visto il mio coraggioso desiderio di rivedermi l'intera filmografia di Michael Bay, mi sono imbattuto in questo futuristico film che riesce a porre molti interrogativi interessanti. Lo stile del regista č come sempre ben visibile e quasi preponderante. Nella seconda parte della pellicola esplosioni e inseguimenti rubano la scena a quello che nella prima parte mi aveva incuriosito, buoni personaggi e un mistero da svelare molto intrigante. Ho trovato la sceneggiatura molto pių matura e coerente rispetto altri suoi film, peccato per la seconda parte che, nonostante buoni cambiamenti narrativi, rimane piena zeppa di scene con troppi tagli di montaggio, con un andamento troppo frenetico. Nonostante questo sono riuscito ad apprezzare "The Island", per la sua buona costruzione narrativa e un coinvolgimento generale che non avevo mai provato in altri film del regista, sicuramente uno dei pių riusciti della sua filmografia.
½ June 10, 2017
Better than it's made out to be, but needed a better, smarter director to be really good
June 1, 2017
Ii loved this movie (just re watched) and though that the ethical question that the government had decided would be the legal line was grate. I would have just liked a little more at the end showing public reaction the atrocity rather than the over the top action which went from interesting to ludicrous (surviving the fall with the sign). My favourite part of all is in the screen in the office that did point out the ethics and the evil of hubris.
June 1, 2017
This film may have had potential to be special if someone other than Michael Bay was directing it...as it is, it doesn't dive into its ideas and instead gives us many explosions.
½ May 29, 2017
I was surprised by this Michael Bay film. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. The first half was much better than the second where the action took over. An entertaining concept that made for a good sci-fi thriller. (First and only viewing - 5/28/2017)
May 2, 2017
A very good start from a Michael Bay film who ends up doing what he does best... blow stuff up, eventually making the film fall on its knees.
April 15, 2017
Great action flick. Interesting story line and it has Scarlett Johansson before she was big time.
March 28, 2017
Wasn't great, started off okay, but just ended with a bunch of corny movie cliche bullshit.
½ March 12, 2017
One of the most underrated action movies of all time
Plus scarlet !!!! Enough said
March 7, 2017
It's a thought provoking premise: humans being bred so their body parts can be harvested as needed for rich consumers. I could have done without the unbelievable action sequences but the inclusion of them undoubtedly widen the audience for this sci-fi movie. This is not a movie that I will watch again, but it was a decent $2.99 rental.
February 16, 2017
Great movie, thrill ride, great acting, why didn't I see this sooner?
February 14, 2017
Great story and characters! Some action sequences were a little far fetched, but was a hell of an adventure over all. Loved seeing Obi-Wan Kenobi and Black Widow together...
February 11, 2017
shit, that's kind of fucked up.
October 31, 2016
As long as you don't have a high expectation this movie is pretty good.