The Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Island Reviews

½ March 26, 2016
It feels like two very disjointed films; a sci-fi mystery movie and a fast paced action thriller. This doesn't allow the film to flow as solidly as it should but it is definitely a more interesting and powerful effort from Michael Bay to make a good movie.

B
½ March 20, 2016
By far the best Michael Bay movie!
½ March 19, 2016
So not my kind of movie.
½ March 6, 2016
Meh. Not enough time spent in the dystopian setting. There's a lot of action, but the characters don't fit the action. The action feels forced.
½ February 15, 2016
Having Ewan McGregor is mostly the only reason I watched this movie at all, and the fact that having Michael Bay as the director confirmed some action that would keep me awake. At first although not blown away by anything everything seemed quite good, although confusing as as don't know for sure exactly what's going on but in the end the plot is actually a cool idea, using cloned people as an 'insurance policy' meant for the rich who can afford, basically a replica of you for body parts as you age, assuring longer life. It's different and original, and isn't badly played out. The CGI is typical of Bay, and eventually all hell breaks lose into a mess of explosions and cars being totalled, which was something I was jokingly commenting on it not having earlier in the film, until of course it happens, typical Bay. It was actually cool to see the cars being completely destroyed by train wheels falling off the truck, but out main characters should have died many times, not to mention falling 70 stories off a building on a huge sign, landing in a net and surviving... It ends how we could have imagined, and there's no surprises there, however it wasn't a bad ending. Overall the movie ok I guess, the action wasn't bad, it was fun to watch at least, the idea was new, and I'm actually surprised at how I turned out, and how Bay hasn't since turned it into a series as he did with transformers, which is something this movie could have actually maybe done well with proper development.
February 11, 2016
Survivors of a global pandemic live an idyllic existence of pleasure in a luxurious compound as they wait and hope to win a lottery to be deported to a paradise of Island to repopulate the planet. One resident Echo-Six-Lincoln's curious nature demands more however.
February 8, 2016
Michael Bay's homage to well-worn themes from the past, The Island is one of his more enjoyable efforts due to the premise and talent of the lead actors, but it's still a pretty dumb sci-fi, action flick that leaves brains behind in the second half. Taking clear inspiration from films like Logan's Run and THX 1183, The Island follows a population of clones who live in an underground facility due to a supposed extinction-level contamination on the surface, and their only solace is to win a "random lottery" and be one of the lucky selected to be moved to, The Island, a contamination-free paradise...or so they think. Ewan McGregor's character begins to question the system until he ultimately finds out that they are bred to be organ donors/surrogate mothers for their wealthy counterparts and escapes the facility with Scarlett Johansson who has just won the lottery. From there, the intelligence pretty much stops and we're thrust into an overblown and ridiculous chase film where Bay gets to use all of his toys to blow everything up and make his characters invincible to every death-defying stunt he can. The supporting cast helps to make the story credible with Sean Bean as the head of the program, Djimon Hounsou as a ruthless bounty hunter, and Steve Buscemi hamming it up as an ally to our main characters. Overall, this is certainly a watchable piece of popcorn entertainment, but the film loses a lot of steam in the second half, and the amount of conveniences/ex machinas that help the main characters live pushes well-past ludicrous.
February 7, 2016
Enjoyable action adventure drama
February 6, 2016
I don't know why people don't like this one. It is a great popcorn movie, action sci fi that is fun and star to gorgeous actors.
½ February 5, 2016
probably the only michael bay movie i like. it has problems and things I don't like about it, but overall it's fun and harmless
February 4, 2016
I really liked this movie! The storyline and whole idea of it is crazy but something that could totally happen one day :p
January 24, 2016
Typical Michael Bay, once the action gets going, it's intense. Flying motorcycles, freeway chases, quick cuts editing, cars crashing and exploding, stuff exploding, epic slowmo, helicopter at sunrise/sunset, and so on. The narrative is a little uneven and the character development is a bit odd. Now I'm officially caught up on all Bay's film, not that it is something to be proud of and I'm dreading the next Transformers.
½ January 18, 2016
one my favorite movies.
January 18, 2016
one of Michael Bay's best films. The action is spectacular, story is good. I was interested the whole 136 mins.
January 12, 2016
Watching this again last night, its such a shame that this film was made by Michael Bay. What starts as an interesting sci-fi with some fantastic production design and some good acting quickly dissolves into a brainless actioner that has zero tension. Ewan and Scarlet lead a cast of solid performances with a great premise, but Bay's lazy and obnoxious directing style swallows the film whole. never has spectacle been so boring. I think a solid remake is required to undo the damage. A shame, really.
December 27, 2015
Before sean Penn grossed her up.
½ December 23, 2015
Sometimes, I may compromise if a certain movie tries to revive some moments of another or being a remake of it. This one I can't. It's unoriginal, cliched and another bloated action picture by Michael Bayformers. The movie is split into two genres:
-A somewhat decent Sci-Fi with good performances by its leads, but completely inexcusable product placement. There were like 35 products of which 7 were shown more than twice. It was awful. I watched this actually with a friend of mine and I wanted to turn it off because it was too much for me, but he insisted to watch it until the end.
-Another loud and bombastic crapfest of CGI, car chases and explosions that are getting repetitive and useless.

With this movie, Michael Bay proves anything about money but nothing about hard work. It's now official, he cares more about what's outside than what's inside (in terms of plot coherency, good script and smart direction). I consider it very average. When I saw the opening, I felt it was gonna be promising with startling performances, but it turned out to be a 136 minute commercial of useless products. This to me is by far the WORST EXAMPLE OF PRODUCT PLACEMENT EVER!

Grade: C-
Percentage: 35%
Rating: 2,5/5
November 7, 2015
Great performances from the cast and score was good but the suffers from Michael bay's poor action scenes and editing.
October 18, 2015
Think of this as an updated version of the now-very-outdated Logan's Run. The visuals and special effects are obviously an improvement over the earlier film. Too bad the same cannot be said for the inane script and the film-maker's resulting priorities -- namely, placing flashy spectacle and characters making inexplicable decisions just to move the action along ahead of more useful story-telling components. I know Scarlett Johansson can act, but she was terribly miscast for this film. Still, I sat there thinking this had the potential to be a good science fiction film, but alas, The Island falls just short of mediocrity.
½ October 14, 2015
Definitely Michael Bay's best movie. It had a great story and a great cast. I thought some of it wasn't right, but for the most part it was a good movie. The characters and overall plot were just so genius for the movie. I thought the comedy was good and everything. It almost had nothing to not enjoy about it. I mean, there were a few meh scenes, but other than that it was a pretty decent movie.