The Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Island Reviews

February 11, 2016
Survivors of a global pandemic live an idyllic existence of pleasure in a luxurious compound as they wait and hope to win a lottery to be deported to a paradise of Island to repopulate the planet. One resident Echo-Six-Lincoln's curious nature demands more however.
February 8, 2016
Michael Bay's homage to well-worn themes from the past, The Island is one of his more enjoyable efforts due to the premise and talent of the lead actors, but it's still a pretty dumb sci-fi, action flick that leaves brains behind in the second half. Taking clear inspiration from films like Logan's Run and THX 1183, The Island follows a population of clones who live in an underground facility due to a supposed extinction-level contamination on the surface, and their only solace is to win a "random lottery" and be one of the lucky selected to be moved to, The Island, a contamination-free paradise...or so they think. Ewan McGregor's character begins to question the system until he ultimately finds out that they are bred to be organ donors/surrogate mothers for their wealthy counterparts and escapes the facility with Scarlett Johansson who has just won the lottery. From there, the intelligence pretty much stops and we're thrust into an overblown and ridiculous chase film where Bay gets to use all of his toys to blow everything up and make his characters invincible to every death-defying stunt he can. The supporting cast helps to make the story credible with Sean Bean as the head of the program, Djimon Hounsou as a ruthless bounty hunter, and Steve Buscemi hamming it up as an ally to our main characters. Overall, this is certainly a watchable piece of popcorn entertainment, but the film loses a lot of steam in the second half, and the amount of conveniences/ex machinas that help the main characters live pushes well-past ludicrous.
February 7, 2016
Enjoyable action adventure drama
February 6, 2016
I don't know why people don't like this one. It is a great popcorn movie, action sci fi that is fun and star to gorgeous actors.
½ February 5, 2016
probably the only michael bay movie i like. it has problems and things I don't like about it, but overall it's fun and harmless
February 4, 2016
I really liked this movie! The storyline and whole idea of it is crazy but something that could totally happen one day :p
January 24, 2016
Typical Michael Bay, once the action gets going, it's intense. Flying motorcycles, freeway chases, quick cuts editing, cars crashing and exploding, stuff exploding, epic slowmo, helicopter at sunrise/sunset, and so on. The narrative is a little uneven and the character development is a bit odd. Now I'm officially caught up on all Bay's film, not that it is something to be proud of and I'm dreading the next Transformers.
½ January 18, 2016
one my favorite movies.
January 18, 2016
one of Michael Bay's best films. The action is spectacular, story is good. I was interested the whole 136 mins.
January 12, 2016
Watching this again last night, its such a shame that this film was made by Michael Bay. What starts as an interesting sci-fi with some fantastic production design and some good acting quickly dissolves into a brainless actioner that has zero tension. Ewan and Scarlet lead a cast of solid performances with a great premise, but Bay's lazy and obnoxious directing style swallows the film whole. never has spectacle been so boring. I think a solid remake is required to undo the damage. A shame, really.
December 27, 2015
Before sean Penn grossed her up.
½ December 23, 2015
Sometimes, I may compromise if a certain movie tries to revive some moments of another or being a remake of it. This one I can't. It's unoriginal, cliched and another bloated action picture by Michael Bayformers. The movie is split into two genres:
-A somewhat decent Sci-Fi with good performances by its leads, but completely inexcusable product placement. There were like 35 products of which 7 were shown more than twice. It was awful. I watched this actually with a friend of mine and I wanted to turn it off because it was too much for me, but he insisted to watch it until the end.
-Another loud and bombastic crapfest of CGI, car chases and explosions that are getting repetitive and useless.

With this movie, Michael Bay proves anything about money but nothing about hard work. It's now official, he cares more about what's outside than what's inside (in terms of plot coherency, good script and smart direction). I consider it very average. When I saw the opening, I felt it was gonna be promising with startling performances, but it turned out to be a 136 minute commercial of useless products. This to me is by far the WORST EXAMPLE OF PRODUCT PLACEMENT EVER!

Grade: C-
Percentage: 35%
Rating: 2,5/5
November 7, 2015
Great performances from the cast and score was good but the suffers from Michael bay's poor action scenes and editing.
October 18, 2015
Think of this as an updated version of the now-very-outdated Logan's Run. The visuals and special effects are obviously an improvement over the earlier film. Too bad the same cannot be said for the inane script and the film-maker's resulting priorities -- namely, placing flashy spectacle and characters making inexplicable decisions just to move the action along ahead of more useful story-telling components. I know Scarlett Johansson can act, but she was terribly miscast for this film. Still, I sat there thinking this had the potential to be a good science fiction film, but alas, The Island falls just short of mediocrity.
½ October 14, 2015
Definitely Michael Bay's best movie. It had a great story and a great cast. I thought some of it wasn't right, but for the most part it was a good movie. The characters and overall plot were just so genius for the movie. I thought the comedy was good and everything. It almost had nothing to not enjoy about it. I mean, there were a few meh scenes, but other than that it was a pretty decent movie.
Robert B.
October 8, 2015
The Island is fine for what it is: a PG-13 rehash of the dystopia films of yesteryear. If you are not really in the mood for a serious film and have not already seen the likes of Logan's Run or THX1138, then the Island may have the light action and humor you are looking for.
½ September 16, 2015
Not a bad effort from Bay. Probably his most ambitious project. Acting is actually great and has thankfully the least jokes of a bay film and a lot more memorable because of the fact that it deals with actual issues and the score is beautiful.
½ September 1, 2015
Even Johansson and McGregor seem lost in this uninteresting and sometimes plain boring Bay-fest. I like a bit of action once in a while, but it doesn't have to be THIS mindless.
August 23, 2015
I realize that this is not the best movie ever. Quite average. However in light of the recent revelations of Planned Parenthood taking advantage of baby parts from abortions this movie has become prophetic. Every actor in this film who continues in the pro-abortion ways, after seeing any of the PP hidden camera movies is a complete hypocrite. I hope those that stand for freedom will promote this movie and its message. Babies are People. The slippery slope will lead to what this movie portrays, no joke. THere are already people who believe that babies brought to full term STILL have no rights as HUMANS. If you are reading this and shrugging your shoulders then you have grown a cold, sad heart my friend. This B-Movie is finger of shame in your faces all of you who believe PP is innocent and that babies are just tissue. Shame on you. Have a bad dau/