Island of Terror (Night of the Silicates) (The Creepers) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Island of Terror (Night of the Silicates) (The Creepers) Reviews

March 17, 2008
When I was in Year 8 (1992), my dad bought me a tele for my room, and, on the first night I had it, this "classic horror" was showing on Meridian. However, Meridian wasn't our local TV station so it played all frosty. It didn't stop me staying up late to see it. Great film. Scared the shite out of me. Worst special effects ever don't really matter as it stars Peter Cushing. Really good horror film. See it.
March 17, 2008
Drikke film....
Were did their bones go? :O
March 3, 2008
This movie freaked me out. The Silicates were just really creepy.
February 19, 2008
By-the-numbers horror/monster film but quite imaginative and effective. Scared the piss out of me when I was a kid. Love the surprise ending!
½ January 30, 2008
Weird little British horror/sf film. Silicates are critters that look like turles with a single, long tentacle where their head should be. They kill by dissolving people's bones. While fairly slow (like zombies) they can't be avoided (somehow).
½ January 26, 2008
Unbeatalble Classic Sci-Fi.
December 6, 2007
The legendary movie of the "Turtles with Tails". I saw this on tv on '70's when I was a kid. I forgot the titlle but I'll remember the monsters created into laboratory..they had to win against cancer.. yes, they did.. eating human bones! Peter Cushing always the "hero" of the horror.
½ November 17, 2007
This use to be on TV all the time, but I have not seen it in a long time. Classic horror movie.
½ November 8, 2007
Classic Britishhorror with amazingly bizarre monsters. The sounds they make as they eat people's bones are disgusting, and who can forget them dividing with the chicken noodle soup substance? Fun stuff that I loved as a kid, and you can never go wrong with Peter Cushing
½ October 12, 2007
A really good classic
August 16, 2007
My grandad loved horror films and from an early age I was allowed to stay up and watch them. This is one of only two films that gave me nightmares. Okay its no Creep or Ring but it frightened me when few films did even though I was only about 9!!! The other film itsn't even listed on here!! It was an early Spielberg film called Something Evil.
½ July 26, 2007
"No bones?!?"
Minor science fiction from a minor production company (Planet Films never were much of a threat to Hammer). I think the "Island" of the title must be Craggy Island (everyone's Irish and the inn serves only Guinness). The Silicates look pretty good at a distance - if you squint - but close up, they're quite ...paper-mache (the bit where one of them jumps on a guy from a tree branch is a hoot).
The character played by Carole Gray (of Curse Of The Fly) isn't exactly a strong female (more of a whinging bastard, actually); her 'romance' (she's a really crap screen kisser - about as passionate as kissing a brick wall ...or a Blarney Stone, perhaps) with Edward Judd seems totally inappropriate, thank you (or at least crowbarred in).
Cushing's usual grounded performance gives the whole thing a respectability it probably doesn't deserve. But hey - Peter Cushing? Terence Fisher? Need I say more? "No" is the answer.
July 20, 2007
Under the radar, but quite good for what it is. Island of Terror is an enjoyable sci-fi horror B movie romp with bone-eating monster slug things. I first saw it on the Sci-fi Channel (back when it was good) and really liked it. Peter Cushing is the actor of note, providing an excellent performance. Good stuff.
April 11, 2006
Island of Terror
Starring: Edward Judd, Peter Cushing, and Carole Gray
Director: Terence Fisher

Bone specialist Dr. David West (Judd) and patheologist Dr. Brian Stanley (Cushing) travel to a remote island off the coast of England to help stem an outbreak of a strange disease that seems to be dissolving the very bones of animals and island residents. The soon discover that the island is about to be overrun by gigantic, mobile, mutated cells that survive by sucking calcium and other minerals from their victims. Will the scientists find a to destroy the seemingly indestructable, rapidly multiplying monsters before they kill everything on the island... and then spread to the rest of the world? More importantly, will the lovely Toni (Gray) slap Dr. Stanley for his heavy-handed flirtatious comments?

"Island of Terror" is a GREAT monster movie with a fabulous setting and a cast that deliver excellent performances. The movie starts creepy, builts tension steadily, and ends up with an exciting climax where survivors are crammed into a single building for a desperate last stand. It is a classic in every sense of the word, from the Golden Age of sci-fi in at the cinema.

I've heard this film compared to the original "Dr. Who" series, both in a favorable and a disparaging sense. I tend to think the comparison is accurate, particularly of the John Pertwee and Tom Baker years. The monsters bear some resemblence in design to many of those we saw on "Dr. Who" (and perhaps they may seem laughable to the "sophisticated" viewer in the 21st century) and the setting, nature, and development of the story is likewise similar to the stories featured on the TV show. However, "Island of Terror" is much better paced, far better acted, and far better filmed than any "Dr. Who" storyline. (I also suspect that a couple of people who have made such comments have had limited exposure to British sci-fi from the 50s and 60s... and so perhaps everything would remind them of "Dr. Who.")

If you like monster movies and classic sci-fi films, you owe it to yourself to check out "Island of Terror." Another reason to see it is Peter Cushing's performance. He gets to show off his more comedic side, as his character of Dr. Stanley is a loveable joker who is always playfully hitting on his collegues fiance, Toni.