It Happened Tomorrow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It Happened Tomorrow Reviews

November 5, 2017
I wanted to see the original my favorite television show of the 1990s. To my surprise the movie theater from 1944 was a class better than the tv series. The scenario is brilliant! Mysterious editorial worker gives the young journalist newspaper in which are described the future of the event. Journalist uses it to write articles in advance. Thanks to this successful and wins the heart of a beautiful woman. But this is the beginning of his troubles. The story is extremely logical, of course, within the context of the events on the screen. For example, the Hero provides for bank robbery, but police suspect him of complicity, the scenario is very consistent: the events described in the newspaper must always to happen, although not always in the way they understand it. The discovery of how the hero read about his death, though not actually died, calls the admiration for cunning writers. The film is extremely funny, especially amused me supporting the role of Jack Oakie that great played Uncle overly child welfare for his niece. Very magical figure is an old Pop who handed the lead hero tomorrow's newspaper. It seems a mysterious spirit that has power over time. I have a feeling that in some strange way survived all these era, about which he talked at the beginning of the movie, from the beginning of creation press. It's a symbolic personification the history of journalism. However, when the whole mood and funny scenes, the most important thing is the message of the movie-not worth it to know your future-better yourself to discover what has prepared us, then we will avoid unnecessary stress, and you may find that the life will make us beautiful a surprise. Great comedy with elements fabulous and a touch of romanticism. Worth a watch.
July 16, 2015
Rather corny in its telling but still able to make something of its fantasy plot, focused on being able to see tomorrow's newspaper today. Dick Powell gives his all as the man who receives copies of the next day's editions from an older co-worker who has started acting very mysteriously (after stating that time is a meaningless concept). Linda Darnell and Jack Oakie play a travelling fortune-teller act that provides a counterpoint. As you might foretell, knowing the future isn't all it is cracked up to be and there are some drawbacks to being able to predict crimes and horse races. Director Rene Clair (working in Hollywood after some great French comedies) manages to inject a bit of screwball energy into proceedings but this is just harmless family fun.
July 26, 2014
Amiable enough of comedy about Dick Powell as a turn of the century newspaper reporter who somehow is able to get the following day's paper a day in advance, giving him a heads-up on big stories or what's going to happen in town. It's a pretty light film and was at one time a property that was owned by Frank Capra, who sold it before he left to help with the war effort. I've never been a huge Dick Powell fan and this film was right before he was about to change his persona from this sort of lightweight comedy and musicals to more of a tough guy with "Murder, My Sweet". I like that Dick Powell much better. The beautiful Linda Darnell and Jack Oakie are support in players and the film also features Edgar Kennedy and John Philliber.And yes, "Early Edition" was probably a rip off of this film's story.
May 11, 2014
"Sweeney, have you finished his obituary?" "Yes, sir." "Refer to him as Lawrence Stevens, not Larry. Give it some dignity. And cut it down, it's too long." "Yes, sir." A charming, funny, and--ahem--unpredictable (surprisingly unpredictable) movie about making the news.
½ June 2, 2013
Whimsical fantasy starts out well, then digresses into cheap comedy.
August 10, 2012
Some lovely concepts at the mercy of a silly story--A Charmer!!
October 26, 2011
A very clever somewhat unknown little comedy from the mid 40's. The story is quite clever for it's time a man get's a newspaper delivered a day early so he is ahead of the news.

Like Back to the Future it cleverly shows the consequences of this privileged information, this was surprisingly fresh & original. A lot of these so called 'time traveling' movies often get lost but this movie flowed like magic.

Both Director & Actors really pulled off a clever film I'm surprised it wasn't more of a hit with the public at the time.
jjnxn
December 22, 2010
Cute premise, not perfectly executed but pleasantly charming fantasy. Linda Darnell is almost unbelievably beautiful.
December 17, 2010
This film came out in 1944. It's interesting listening to people philosophize about time travel and knowing the future in this era especially when you consider WWII.
October 17, 2010
This movie is sort of sci-fi , sort of comedy, and sort of a thriller, and mixes these genres well. I enjoyed this movie, and I recommend it.
½ March 14, 2010
A very enjoyable and fun film, with a wonderful cast. Dick Powell is ideal in the lead and does a great job. Very good score. Short, sweet and fun. Creatively directed by Rene Clair. The clever plot kept me totally interested throughout.
½ March 14, 2010
December 18, 2008
Nice fantasy tale with some good acting. Not as light-hearted as it seems at the beginning though. Darnell is especially fun as the "fortune-teller."