It Happens Every Spring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It Happens Every Spring Reviews

February 15, 2015
This film is a lot of fun and worth adding to your collection.
July 21, 2014
In the old days this was the quintessential baseball movie shown on TV every April!
½ April 22, 2014

Yet, it's just a lighthearted comedy and, if taken in that context, easier to swallow and enjoy. The story is at its funniest when Milland pitches and the ball dispy- doodles around the baseball bats of all the hitters. A large part of its success can be attributed to Ray Milland. As Professor Simpson, he never lets the character sink into the foolishness of Fred MacMurray's Ned Brainard from The Absent Minded Professor films. That is not meant to deride MacMurray's performance in those films, as his character was played as it was written, but the fact that Milland's Simpson appears more scholarly and analytical makes this film work even better. He sees his accidental discovery as a means to achieving two necessary goals: Making enough money to be able to wed Deborah (Jean Peters)and helping the Cardinals win the pennant.
As Deborah, Jean Peters is gorgeous, charming and delightful. After Vernon's mysterious disappearance, she sets out to discover what became of him and through a series of mistaken coincidences believes he has joined the mob. Paul Douglas as Monk Lanigan, Vernon's catcher, has most of the funniest lines and some of the best scenes, one involving him wearing a splint while trying to catch, and another when he uses Vernon's formula as a hair tonic. He's a pure delight in what I consider one of his best roles.

The fact that a college professor uses a chemistry formula (that makes most things repel wood) to win the World Baseball Championship actually makes it funnier. And it's wholesome fun, despite what some moralists may think. The premise that Ray Milland can't actually pitch too well is what makes this a true screwball comedy - and he is redeemed at the end (I won't say how so I won't spoil the fun of watching it). Absurd situations is what makes funny films. This definitely has the formula for comedy: Witty, lots of jokes, madcap romantic situations, and abundant twists and turns. Milland chose to star in this flick right after his Best Actor Oscar for a reason -it became a top comedy of the era. Paul Douglas is outrageously funny as his bemused catcher (the scene where he rubs Milland's wood-repelling formula into his hair is priceless). And the gorgeous Jean Peters comes across with top marks.
April 12, 2014
Ray Milland uses science to become a dominant baseball pitcher. As long as he has his formula handy there is no way anybody can get a hit off him. A little wacky and far-fetched, but it was a fun movie. (First and only viewing - 4/12/2014)
June 28, 2013
Excellent baseball comedy about a scientist who perfects a pitching potion
April 8, 2013
Great movie! So fun...especially if you like old baseball movies, a little romance and fantasy. Who wouldn't want to be a big league pitcher with a magic potion that makes the ball jump over the bat?
December 28, 2011
While this movie is cute it has a pro Jim Crow message that today's audience will largely miss. Jackie Robinson integrated baseball in 1947 and this movie came out in 1949. The main character in the movie joins the The St. Louis Cardinals who in real life had strongly opposed integrating baseball and had tried to organize a boycott of all games in which Robinson played. Fortunately the boycott failed. The other major league St. Louis team the Browns was the second team in the league with a black player in 1947. So the audience of 1949 recognized that this movie was delivering a message in support of segregation.
January 4, 2011
Terrific movie!!!!!!!!!!
April 21, 2010
Enjoyable enough, but the conceit of a man who loves baseball so much that he hasn't finished his Ph.D. basically cheating his way through an entire season doesn't hold up.
November 20, 2009
The funniest baseball movie ever made.
July 30, 2009
This is my all time favorite movie. If you have never seen it I recommend you to.
½ February 28, 2009
Wasn't bad, had some entertaining moments, but not one I'm in a real hurry to see again any time soon.
January 1, 2009
This movie needs to be on TV more often. One of my all-time favorites.
½ December 24, 2008
Love Milland in this sort of stuff, Douglas is always good, and Collins isn't Lt. Tragg!
December 18, 2008
One of the great old baseball movies.
½ January 13, 2008
Fun baseball movie. Paul Douglas is great in this film.
January 12, 2008
This was a great movie
January 1, 2008
½ November 27, 2007
A dissmissable piece of fluff about a college professor who accidently discovers a formula that makes anything it touches repel wood, so he puts it on baseballs (wooden bats = no contact) and becomes a star pitcher. Its sort of "Flubber" for the MLB set. I enjoy this movie because I enjoy many of the actors (Ed Begley is a fave) and because the MLB team featured is the St. Louis Browns (who later became the Baltimore Orioles). I have an affinity for the underdog in baseball.
November 18, 2007
They don't make movies like this anymore. A movie where the impossible is made possible and you don't have to think about it. Now if I could find it on DVD, I would be set.