It Should Happen to You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It Should Happen to You Reviews

September 16, 2010
Not bad for a dumb blonde brand romantic comedy. Visually, it's a great slice of mid-century NYC -- the clothes, cars, billboards, TV shows and ads are to die for. Also, Jack Lemmon circa 1954 = swoon.
½ May 14, 2010
It has not aged well. Very strange attitudes toward sex here. Judy Holliday was 33 when she made this film, her character is naive and innocent to a ridiculous degree. Jack Lemmon's character played by anyone else would have been an unbearable jackass, but he's quite lovable, if a bit too prudish. It's a bit of Values Dissonance for sure. The romance between Jack Lemmon and Judy Holliday isn't developed well, though the actors are nothing but charming--I'd like to have just a picture of Judy and Jack falling in love, with more scenes like their romance and fewer scenes with the stupid fame storyline. The screenplay feels like a first draft--it's sad when the central conceit of the film is more tiresome than than the side plots.
I wanted to like this, but it really wasn't good.
January 24, 2010
The original satire of fame for fame's sake. Jack lemmon gives a great performance in his first film role but
January 24, 2010
Jack Lemmon's film debut. Judy Holliday was great, as was the writing from husband & wife team Garson Kanin and Ruth Gordon. The film was sweet and charming--makes me want to watch more movies with Holliday.
½ January 24, 2010
This is Jack Lemoon's first movie and he's as adorable as ever. This is a WAY before its time commentary on the media with a sweet little love story thrown in.
½ January 24, 2010
A "sort of" classic plot... one of my favorite films. I love practically every scene, especially the last one.

3 1/2 out of 4
January 20, 2010
Judy Holliday is a one of a kind actress, and it's a shame she didn't make more films. There is no one else quite like her. She is always such a delight and so genuine. This movie is a fine addition to her resume, fun, with a unique story and it's very well handled. It works, thanks to Judy and a great first role for Jack Lemmon. Excellent George Cukor direction.
January 17, 2010
I always seem to relate to Judy Holliday in whatever film she is in. I would totally have a parrot conversation while kissing and fall for the loveable documentary guy who is just a friend. Very cute romantic comedy though..I have a feeling the Paris Hiltons of the world wouldn't turn their back on fame so easily
September 6, 2009
Darling Judy Holliday vehicle that has aged very well, and may be of particular interest to fans of Mad Men. This was Jack Lemmon's first film and it clearly shows why he became such an enormous star.
August 22, 2009
Judy Holliday is hilarious as the ditzy blond and Lemmon in one of his best early roles. This movie will leave you rolling in the aisles; after all, "It could happen to you" (rolling in the aisles I mean).
May 24, 2009
I adore this movie so much. It's an extremely sweet, charming and funny romantic comedy. This was Jack Lemmon's first major film role, and it's definitely a star-maker. Judy Holiday is so adorable and charming. They have really strong chemistry and make a cute pairing. The premise is pretty unique. All rolled together, they make for a great film.
February 20, 2009
A cute little movie reminscent of why people want to be on tv.
February 10, 2009
It's impossible not to fall in love with Jack Lemmon in this movie, but honest to god, having never seen a Judy Holliday film before, I have to admit to being sincerely disappointed. I'd always heard she was this great comedienne. Not so in this movie. She's OK, but Lemmon makes the movie bearable and somehow manages to earn the turn at the end, which otherwise would have been unfathomable.
October 28, 2008
Gladys Glover comes to NYC from a small town with a mission to become famous. She saves her money and rents space on a billboard in Times Square upon which she puts only her name. Hilarious commentary on the nature of celebrity in our "modern" world.
October 21, 2008
Lovely comedy with some sharp observations. Judy is radiant and Jack's debut performance is a gem.
½ October 6, 2008
A little slow moving, but cute movie with a good end.
September 13, 2008
I bet Paris Hilton watched this movie over and over when she was a little girl.
½ September 8, 2008
Not to be confused with "It COULD happen to you" this is a great movie and Judy and Jack are so fun together!
June 16, 2008
Jack Lemmon and Judy Holiday find each other in the midst of seductive, materialistic success.
April 28, 2008
Judy Holliday is wonderful! I can't imagine this film being so enjoyable with another lead actress.