It Started in Naples - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It Started in Naples Reviews

April 4, 2015
Saw this long ago, but it's still an entertaining flick today.
March 18, 2015
a black hole in Clark Gable and Sophia Loren's career!
December 10, 2014
Oh, those Americanos..
Enjoyed this movie. :)
½ December 29, 2013
There's no chemistry between Gable, who's twice as old than love interest Sophia Loren in this lukewarm, utterly predictable culture clash comedy.
June 15, 2013
beautifully shot. my first Loren film. the kid was great. sad that it was the last Gable film released in his life.
Rather a standard enough romcom, though occasionally well written. But the real star of the film is the beauty of Naples.
July 13, 2012
Sophia shows her sizeable comedic talents in this light romp of the battle of the sexes set in Naples and Capri. The movie is delightful. Highest rating from this viewer.
March 26, 2012
hardcore!! Criança bebendo e fumando, estereótipos étnicos explorados ao máximo...ah se tentassem filmar isso hoje, na época do politicamente correto...
January 8, 2012
Its stereotypical, more a travel video, and a genre that i dont historically get along with too often. But i fell for every second of this. Think its just the romanticist in me, especially with it being set in Capri, which ive been to.
January 7, 2012
Requires much suspension of disbelief, but intentionally and unintentionally funny.
July 1, 2011
It's witty and it's got a very good cast (especially Gable, Marietto and De Sica), but it's nothing special.
½ August 25, 2010
She's so frigging adorable. And he's himself. The little kid is awesome. Capri is gorgeous. She sings "Americano," and it's killing me -- what other movie uses that song? I had never seen a movie with her in her prime. I kind of get her now.
July 20, 2010
It Started in Naples (1960)

This isn't my favorite Gable or Loren film, (there are much better ones out there for both) but it seemed like everyone was making movies in Italy during the 60s, and why not Clark Gable? It's not really a total waste of almost two hours, but if there's something else on that's three stars, go for it.

In this one, Gable plays Michael Hamilton who has come to Capri to put his dead brother's affairs in order. He also finds that he had a 10 year old son, Nando, (Marietto Paolo Carlini) and is considering having him sent to the States also, to the disappointment of his Aunt, Lucia Curcio (Sophia Loren). Fireworks ensue.

Part of the problem is that Gable is 33 years older than Loren and the fact that he's so fastidious. This is one of those "fish out of water" pictures where we are thrown into an alternative culture and learn to appreciate it. But we always think of Gable as kind of International and to see him so xenophobic is kind of disappointing.
½ June 18, 2010
Sophia Loren can't actually sing..... lol
January 3, 2010
When I first decided to watch this movie I was quite sceptical about it.
An American produced movie with both american and Italian actors... this wasn't surely going to be good.
But right after its beginning "It Started in Naples" cought my attention. The main story is something I suppose many people experienced back in Italy in those years; locations are just amazing, Sophia Loren & Clark Gable act amazingly in this movie that tells a piece of Italian history.
Another thing that I did really like is that life in the South of Italy is so realistic in this movie; I really saw lots of my own country in this movie... that was almost like watching a history documentary, just it was much more funny!
November 9, 2009
I don't know....very ordinary , I enjoyed watching Loren sing & dance :)
July 8, 2009
it had it's cute moments.
½ May 16, 2009
I don't get the Clark Gable leading man thing. Sophia Loren is georgeous but the child steals the scenes. It's an alright movie but there is not enough Capri scenery.
½ September 6, 2008
"The one in Philly, not the one flying to heaven"... ahahaha...

September 1, 2008
CHEESEBOOOGERR! Charmin, funny and inimitable today - I knew I was born at the wrong time and place each time I watch a Sophia Loren movie. A completely underrated classic.
July 24, 2008
nominated for best picture at the golden globes