The Italian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Italian Reviews

October 10, 2015
An incredibly moving story, beautifully presented, ripped my heart right out of my body.
May 2, 2015
Relato dickensiano enternecedor, de sorprendente sencillez, muy bien actuado por su pequeño protagonista, y que revela una triste realidad en la Rusia contemporánea.
February 27, 2015
Ay its a me, pause unpause, and I want to say I lovea this movie, it is about my papi.
½ December 29, 2013
It looks like cinema loves to deal with kids seeking their parents. This movie is not going so far in this, indeed the story is not that noticeable due to the remarkable cinematography and the nice performance of the boy "Vanya" (Nikolay Spiridonov).

The only thing makes the difference in the script is how much could learning reading change things, so the 6 years old boy was able to know some personal information about him to make up his mind to leave that closed ruthless Russian orphanage, although he had a great offer to be adopted by a decent Italian family, so as soon as the movie turned to be a travel to find the mother, I suddenly stopped feeling interesting about it. I guess I was spoiled by "Landscape in the Mist" of "Theo Angelopoulos" that I cannot feel any movie to be better in that, and I really don't care how the end was. The cinematography is great for sure, with a perfect using of nature, and Nikolay Spiridonov gives a nice spontaneous performance. I really don't feel the soundtrack for me it is not convincing at all. I much appreciate that this film is the debut of a director.

Well, it supposed that movies like this have to awake something inside our souls. I'm really full of real stories I see everyday, unfortunately. though this "Italian" still nicely recommended and for no doubt watch-worthy.
½ June 4, 2013
Hauntingly heart-rending film about the power of love that a child has for his mother. This movie deserves its high rating. What surprises me is the 68% of the audience response. I would have thought that percentage would be higher, but perhaps that's just that a lot of people here don't like subtitled foreign films. Their loss.
½ March 7, 2013
Cute- I liked it a lot. The kid who plays Vanya is beyond adorable.
December 17, 2012
Such a true story I can relate to. A great film. Balled my eyes out.
June 14, 2012
terrible ending, but the story was good the ending was just to sudden after all the wait
March 28, 2012
One rule of thumb for me I don't watch subtitled movies. I might sound igrnorant but I don't want to watch a screen while I am trying to pay attention to the action in the movie.
February 17, 2012
Absolutely marvelous. Love it.
½ January 9, 2012
Wonderful movie. The little boy in this film is really adorable, and an extremely convincing actor. The story is not melodramatic, or deliberately tear jerking, as many child "lead" films tend to be. There are a few difficult scenes, but the entire movie as a whole was very sweet...and left me in awe at the direction. It really warms my heart to watch real quality films....this one including.
½ January 1, 2012
It might be the only Russian film i've seen so far, but i am impressed. The story and the backdrop is fascinating. An engaging film for most film lovers and all foreign film lovers.
½ December 9, 2011
A great story and so insightful into the bleakness of the Russian climate. Thank god we watched this on DVD so we could review the ending again and again!
November 20, 2011
Buena película y actuaciones. Refleja una realidad de lo que sucede con algunos orfanatos en el mundo, así como los problemas sociales en Rusia.
½ September 19, 2011
The Italian [Russian title: Italianetz], 2005, Russia
Set in a Russian orphanage. OMG can little Vanya be any cuter? Right from the start everyone in the film and the audience included are fully sympathetic - even when he breaks the rules, his motivation is to find out the truth, it doesnt come from a malicious place at all.
½ June 13, 2011
After a slow start, the Italian builds with suspense as a determined little boy attempts to find his mother as he is in the process of being adopted by an Italian couple from a depressed Russian orphanage. Not only is the runaway young, but he learns to read, travels cross-country, and fights off orphanage workers in the process to be reunited with a mother that he may or may not find. More than inspiring.
June 7, 2011
Really great movie, and the kid is so cute!
May 23, 2011
Standard orphan story that breaks little ground.
½ May 3, 2011
Pretty good foreign flick, the ending could have been done better though. The lead actor was like 7 years old and surprisingly held the movie down