It's Love I'm After - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's Love I'm After Reviews

½ August 1, 2016
Few surprises in this screwball Rom-com. Though at least the screws never stop spinning! It is interesting to note that this is the first film Mr. Howard did following the successful Romeo & Juliet - I suspect he already knew those lines.

There are many excellent one-liners (& two or three liners as well!), but this one from the brilliant butler, Eric Blore, stands out; "Oh but you don't need clothes to get married, Sir." Priceless.
August 18, 2015
????? "??????, ??????? ? ?????" ???? ? ??????? 1937 ????. ? ??????? ????? ????? ??????, ???? ?????, ?????? ?? ?????????. ????? ?????????? ???? ? ?????? "????????? ??????" ??????? (???? ?????) ? ?? ????????? (?????? ?????????) ??? ???????, ? ?????? ????? ?????? ??????????????? ?????? ??????, ?????? - ??? ?????? ??????????? ??????????. ????? ????? ???? ? ???? ?????, ?????????? ? ????????? ?????? ???????? ?? ?????. ????? ???????????? ? ?????? ??? ???? ????, ? ???? ?????????? ????? ??????, ???? ????????? ????? ???? ?????????? ???????? ?????? ???????.
??? ???????, ? ???? ??,1937 ???? ?????? ?????? ? ???? ?????, ? ????? ??????????? ???? ????? ???????? ???????????, ????????? ???? ????? ? ?????? "????? ???????? ????????????" ??? ??????, ? ????? ????? ????? ? ?? ????????? ??????? ? ????? "????, ????, ????? ????????", ??? ??????? ?????? ??????????? ??????? ????????, (? ?????????? ?????), ? ???.
?????? ????? ?? ?????? ??????? ????? ? 1943?.
?????????????? ??????? ? ???????? ????????.
½ November 5, 2014
While Bette Davis and Leslie Howard are amusing as two battling lovers who also happen to be ham actors, the surprise of this little comedy is Olivia de Havilland as the moonstruck girl... Limitless Energy--Among the greatest of golden era screwball comedies... You Should Be After 'It's Love I'm After'!!
January 27, 2014
it was great i loved it!
½ July 17, 2012
"it's love i'm after" has all the charm, wit, and humor that one comes to expect from the best of the 1930's, led by fun performances by leslie howard and bette davis. i just dare you to watch this film without having a smile on your face the whole time. if you are able to do this, you may be satan.
July 11, 2012
A terribly old romantic-comedy story played out beautifully in this 1937 film. I have always found Miss Davis a bit hard on the eyes in later years. (character makeup, aging etc.) but she in nothing less that absolutely stunning in this film. Olivia De Havilland is equally stunning in the first of 4 movie parings of these film icons. Olivia De Havilland's character "Marcia" falls head over heels in love with actor Basil Underwood, overplayed by Leslie Howard. Basil is engaged to fellow actress Joyce Arden play by Davis. It's a romantic farce that is quite fun to watch. Eric Biore steals many scenes as Digges, Basil's butler. Fun movie to watch.
July 10, 2012
pairing #3 4 davis/howard in this delightful rom-com
½ April 5, 2011
Third pairing of Davis & Howard, with De Havilland to round out the main cast, making this a rare comedy for all 3 of them, and an even rarer screwball comedy (I may be mistaken, since this was a prolific trio, but I can't think of a single other screwball for any of them that I've seen or heard of).

Not greatly liked by critics at the time, it's been redeemed by later generations. I enjoyed seeing all of them making use of their much underused comedic talents, and they rather look like they are enjoying themselves as well. Much later on in the careers of both the ladies, some of their forays into comedy were panned harshly, and with good cause, but of course, by then they had literally decades of intense dramatic acting behind them, and they just seemed uncomfortable with the lighter stuff. This film shows us a glimmer of what might have been, had they been studio'ed into a different mold. I'm sure it would have been interesting, but I wouldn't trade the careers they had for it.

While the film is never dull, and does have some hilarious moments, it does drag on at times, and doesn't maintain the effervescence of a truly classic comedy. Nonetheless I'd recommend it especially to fans of the 3 leads.
½ February 23, 2011
Wednesday, October 13, 2010

(1937) It's Love I'm After
COMEDY

Surprisingly and still relevant comedy which is ahead of it's time with plenty of gags throughout! A very amusing and entertaining Leslie Howard as Basil as a conceited stage actor testing his acting talents by doing his best to detract a very young Olivia De Havilland as Marcia West who is love strucked by him and his performance while seeing him on stage, to whom she is shifting all her attention to instead of her fiance! The second film Leslie Howard and Bette Davis starred together (with the first "Of Human Bondage")as the other actress Basil is commited to marry as Joyce Arden! All three actors shine especially Eric Blore as the butler Diggs! My rating would've been higher except this film is way too over the top with several amusing gags which my rating may change by repeated viewings depending on the mood!

3.5 out of 4
October 12, 2010
Just saw it for the first time and I was in stitches laughing! Hilarious screwball comedy!
July 20, 2009
I love it when established dramatic actors dish up a comedy, and score big. "It's Love I'm After" delivers big in every aspect: the cast, the script, and the all-important timing. Leslie Howard is the world-class ham Shakespearean actor Basil Underwood who, after living fast and loose and leaving "rather a bad odor", determines to do a good turn for once in his life. Bette Davis is his not-so-long-suffering love with a volcano temper and mile-wide jealous streak. When Patric Knowles asks Basil to make his fiancee, Olivia deHavilland, fall out of love with the actor, all manner of mayhem ensues. The script is tight, the acting, especially the character acting, is superb. Watch Eric Blore as the butler Diggs upstage alll the heavyweights around him--hilarious stuff!
November 1, 2008
davis & howard are a remarkable pair.
½ July 20, 2007
Leslie Howard and Bette Davis are awesome as a disaster waiting to happen. A movie to watch over and over again. It isn't appreciated enough. One of my favorites.
July 19, 2007
All CLASSICS are GOOD
½ July 12, 2007
A funny screwball comedy from the '30s.
June 21, 2007
One of my absolute favorite romantic comedies. It's completely hilarious. Both Howard/DeHavilland and Howard/Davis are among the best screen pairings of all time, so it's great to have both on screen. And the dialog is amazing. "You don't suppose we've awoken her 'slap me again, I love it' complex?"
June 10, 2007
Oh come on, people! This is the greatest romantic comedy I've ever seen, and it goes without saying, I hate romantic comedies! This one had me swooning all over. Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland fit so well in their roles, not to mention Leslie Howard..
May 1, 2007
The moment I laid eyes on Leslie Howard, I was ENAMOURED by him.
jjnxn