It's a Disaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's a Disaster Reviews

July 31, 2016
This isn't a laugh out loud movie, but I chuckled nearly this entire dark comedy, from the earliest moments when the people at a couples brunch are so self-absorbed that they are completely oblivious to the unfolding disaster around them, to their bumbling dysfunction in response to that disaster.
½ July 1, 2016
Clever, darkly funny and well-acted.
June 18, 2016
It was entertaining enough to watch all the way through. I think my favorite part was the perpetually late couple being condemned to die on the porch. XD Other than that I think I chuckled once. It really wasn't the type of laugh out loud comedy, the situations were just kind of ridiculous. I didn't much care for the characters nor could I really relate to them at all. Maybe a good movie if you're a hipster, but it fell kind of flat with me.
May 21, 2016
Ummm, okay?
There WERE many funny parts in this movie - bust out laughing parts, but not enough to outweigh the weirdness and vulgarity of this bizzaro movie. And the end...really?? Meh.
½ April 5, 2016
I swear this isn't a bad movie but its not exactly a good movie either. Its right in the middle.
January 26, 2016
Thoroughly hilarious.
½ January 21, 2016
This dry and quirky dark humor may not be for everyone, but I love it.
January 21, 2016
Great black comedy. I could watch this movie over and over anytime.
January 12, 2016
So funny and amazing
½ November 20, 2015
Low budget, very black comedy. I enjoyed it. More like a one act play than a feature film.
October 4, 2015
David Cross and Julia Stiles are a new couple who attend a brunch at a friend's house along with a few other couples. Not long into the brunch, the hosts reveal they are getting a divorce. The female host is played by the gorgeous Erinn Hayes (Childrens Hospital and HotWives). Soon after the divorce revelation, the group learn of a terrorist attack which is spreading nerve gas through the city. They tape up the windows, close the vents and attempt to deal with the situation. A lot of funny dialogue as revelations of infidelity add to the disaster outside. A great ending that leaves the viewer wondering.
½ August 26, 2015
Hilarious. Very real feeling. Well paced, well put together, extremely well cast. So very much characterization was unloaded with the first couple of lines that each character delivered. The dialogue and character interaction was nothing short of organically conceived. If you get a chance, I definitely recommend it. While David Cross is one of my favorite comedic talents ever, America Ferrera is a completely different presence in my book now. She stole the show, in my opinion. It is the bottle episode equivalent of a film, so very personal, great direction, in my opinion. Good times.
August 8, 2015
Super funny. Great cast. Loved it.
July 25, 2015
This actually turned out better than I thought it was gonna be. The characters aren't very likable but not completely uninteresting with their dialogue and problems that move the story along while they deal with the looming danger headed their way. Some dark humor throughout but the last 20 minutes really gets darkly funny and lifts the movie up from mediocre to actually good.
July 23, 2015
Much funnier than This Is the End.
½ June 29, 2015
I really wanted to like this movie because it's a smart, dark comedy that presents an outrageous scenario set against the backdrop of "Couples Brunch," but there just aren't enough laugh-out loud moments to make it truly funny.
Harlequin68
½ April 30, 2015
Well, it didn't start that way...although Tracy(Julia Stiles), a doctor, and Glen(David Cross), a teacher, arrive at couples brunch arguing over when to shut the car radio off. Admittedly, he is a little nervous to meet her friends for the first time. But soon enough the men go into the living room to watch the game while Shane(Jeff Grace) is trying to get a copy of Uncanny X-Men #120 online for $5. Then, a neighbor shows up wearing a hazmat suit...

With its neat use of classical music and an important lesson of never, ever being late for brunch, "It's A Disaster" is a witty dark comedy about relationships. What starts the conversation and interaction going is not the guacamole hitting the fan; rather it is when the modern technology goes out that the characters have to talk to each other for a change. That leaves it up to a good cast, especially America Ferrera and a surprisingly tolerable David Cross, to carry the day. Plus, the movie ends on a perfect note.
March 22, 2015
Funny idea for a movie that mostly works throughout. When it doesn't work its just a little to goofy. David cross felt a little out of place from what i know of him. There are many other movies where these big debates and life events come up at a dinner between friends but it makes more sense in this context. Not a must see.
March 11, 2015
Funny funny darkly comic
February 22, 2015
Snappy dialogue, great characters and entertaining but realistic performances breath life into a simple and we'll executed concept