It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Reviews

July 13, 2016
A remarkable comedy masterpiece with many of the greatest names in Hollywood of all time all packed into one coked up, mish-mash of an epic that never loses steam and never falls apart.

Stanley Kramer, a man not known for comedy, directed this film with a real, tangible commitment to making it the most zany and crazy comedy epic of all time. It has everyone from Sid Caeser to Mickey Rooney; Buster Keaton to Ethel Merman, and even briefly the Three Stooges.

This film couldn't possibly happen in a Hollywood landscape like the one that exists today. It's a reflection of a time when comedians came together in the name of comedy, for the sake of helping people forget all of their problems for a couple hours.
June 19, 2016
This ridiculously funny comedy with an all star cast is guaranteed to leave you in stitches.
May 28, 2016
a Movie with this amount of talent would never be made today. A true classic!
May 7, 2016
It's Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963): Imagine if EVERY comedian today came together for one movie. This was what this movie was like featuring tons of classic Hollywood stars. Some had big roles like Milton Berle and Jonathan Winters. There were even nice cameos from the likes of Jerry Lewis and the Three Stooges. The movie starts off with the dying words of a thief (Jimmy Durante) who literally kicks the bucket, but not before revealing a huge treasure to motorists who stop to try and help him. What ensues is a crazy cross-country stampede of all these people to find the treasure before everyone else. This thing is 3 hours and 25 minutes long-even comes with an intermission! But I promise you that when it is over, you will be disappointed and wanting more. Not once does this movie feel bloated or that it drags on too long. I first saw this as child and have seen it countless times. A great family movie and a masterpiece that has stood up over time. A bit of trivia: Stan Laurel was asked to be in the movie, but turned it down. When his partner, Oliver Hardy, died in 1957 he said he would never perform again. He never did.
½ April 29, 2016
Review: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
4/29/16

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is a funny, crazy, entertaining film that strives too much to surprise, but made us laugh. The writers have created an assortment of hilarious characters with their unique accents, personalities, and appearance that made the movie really original.
The movie takes place on the highway in California on the way to Santa Rosita, and the goal was to find the big W that leads to $350,000 of stolen dough. There were a group of ridiculous, money-crazy buffoons who witnessed Jimmy Durante, as the criminal who had buried the money, drive off a cliff. As he lay dying, Durante revealed the secret of the big W, and then he kicked the bucket, literally. Our frantic group split up into pairs and small groups and began a race to get to the W. The first to arrive, gets the moola.
Meanwhile, the cops, led by Sheriff Culpepper (Spencer Tracy), were surveilling the racers hoping to recover the money and solve the crime.
When Ethel Merman, playing Milton Berle's loud-mouthed mother-in-law, declines to take a plane to get to the treasure faster after declaring, "No one is going to make me fly," gets jolted by a truck crashing into the rear of their car and goes flying from the backseat into the front seat of the car, it made me die of laughter. Speaking of flying, Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett were hysterically panicking as they goofily struggled to fly and land a plane while the actual pilot, a drunk, played by Jim Baccus, was in the back of the plane knocked out. They almost hit the tower knocking an Air Force general out of it to dangle like a bungee jumper.
Finally, all of the zany characters plus a few more get to the park and scatter around the hunting for the big W. After a plot twist, everything gets mad, mad, mad, mad again, ending up with all the men in the hospital with the oldest gag in the book. You must see this extravagant movie.
½ April 18, 2016
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) ?? 1/2
Big, sprawling, unsubtle comedy. After a dying man tells a bunch of strangers where he hid $350,000 they scurry off in an incredible race involving short partnerships, harsh selfishness, and trickery, while also intercepting others they meet along the way. Energetic film with all-star international cast doesn't have much resonance emotion-wise, but is generally funny, occasionally exciting, with cameos and visually swanky chases galore. Plus a wild finish. But seriously, how could you say "No" to a film that includes Spencer Tracy, Jonathan Winters, Mickey Rooney, and Buddy Hackett? The Three Stooges even have a brief (if unnecessary) appearance; look fast for Jerry Lewis! Oscar Winner for Best Sound Effects Editing.
April 10, 2016
Watch this any time it comes on.
March 5, 2016
Long but funny. Lots of chuckles, and it's funny how sexist it is. Great cast. Pretty crazy movie. The gags were hit and miss but mostly comical. The ending was near intolerable though. Also fairly forgettable. 6.5/10
½ January 14, 2016
An all-star cast of famous comedians that my dad and grandpa remember. Absolutely hilarious, I showed to to some friends at a party I hosted and there was not one person that didn't laugh
½ January 10, 2016
Outrageous fun! It should be considered a top all-time comedy classic if you ask me. This is one of the nuttiest things I've ever seen. My only gripe was that it was a little overlong. In any event it was a blast! (First and only viewing - 1/10/2016)
December 19, 2015
Even though it's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world is too long, it's an original, creative, hilarious, fun, action packed film that boasts the best ensemble cast ever and is hailed as one of the funniest comedy movies for good reason.
December 19, 2015
This movie is over 40 years old and still considered a classic comedy for good reason. One reason is the cast. The main characters are played by such classic comics as Sid Ceasar, Jonathan Winters, Milton Berle, Ethel Merman, Buddy Hacket, and Mickey Rooney. Even the minor characters become cameos with such people as Jerry Lewis, Jim Backus, Carl Reiner, Don Knotts, and the Three Stooges showing up, sometimes only for one shot. Everyone, no matter if they are have a starring role or a cameo make the most of their screen time for laughs.
December 15, 2015
We will never again see another great comedy like this again. All the mumbo, jumbo special effects and all these days, plus comics aren't funny unless they use a lot of foul talk. These people were genuine. They can never be replaced. MMMMW is a classic and will always be a classic.
December 4, 2015
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World, is a slapstick comedy, similar to The Three Stooges, The Looney Toones, or Tom and Jerry. The whole three and a half hours is frustrating to watch if you're looking for a suspenseful action film. However, if you're looking for a comedy, the three and a half hours is hilarious. One thing the filmmakers did in a particular scene that made me laugh really hard was when people were thrown through walls, they left a hole in the wall shaped exactly how they went through, similar to cartoons like Tom and Jerry.
November 9, 2015
I LOVE this movie. I laughed so hard that I was on the floor screaming "Stop the movie! Pause the movie!" I easily call this, my favorite movie of all time.
October 28, 2015
all star cast bring this chase movie 2 life. just discovered there is a part 2 got 2 check it out
½ August 9, 2015
One word describes this super-comedy, loaded. There are so many television, movie, comedy, and various other celebrities packed into one movie, maybe even too many. The movie starts with a dying man divulging the location of his valuable treasure with an obscure reference under the big W. Soon a slew of colorful characters embark upon a chaotic mad dash to find it first. It is a brilliant concept that works very well to incorporate numerous stars in one storyline and still make sense. It moves fast and is always changing, which is important for a long movie like this. At three hours and twelve minutes, it is an atypical epic comedy movie. That lengthy run time works against it though. Too much of a good thing is always a bad thing. It does go on a too long and there are too many cameos. None of these comedy masters has the time or space to rev into high gear. For those alive during the 60s, the novelty of countless familiar faces makes it enjoyable on its own, but audiences today most likely will not understand who the stars are or get the pop-culture references from the time. It is funny overall but it is oversaturated.
August 9, 2015
While this movie is overly long, I enjoyed the mess out of this movie.
½ July 25, 2015
This epic comedy is mad, and silly, but there are some very funny moments along the way. Featuring an all-star cast, the performances of Silver and Merman are particularly notable. It's under the Big W!