It's All About Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It's All About Love Reviews

½ July 23, 2011
It's visually nice, pretty well acted, and unusual. But also sort of pretentious half-sense, so for me ends up as a "meh".
June 9, 2011
One I keep coming back to. Dark, depressing and deeply unsettling but visually stunning.
May 16, 2011
What a wierd film. Not for me - think I would need to be taking bad drugs to even consider liking this one! What the hell was Sean Penn thinking of when he got involved in this film?
½ April 27, 2011
Nice idea but did not have a clue what was going on from about halfway through until the end.
April 25, 2011
One of those movies that is so quirky that you have to watch it till the end. And you hope that it will all be revealed and there will be an explanation. But in the end all you can do is ask "What was this all about??????"
Harlequin68
April 15, 2011
In "It's All About Love," John(Joaquin Phoenix) is stopping over in New York on his way to Calgary to meet with his wife Elena(Claire Danes), a five time gold medal winning figure skater, so she can sign divorce papers. Instead, he is met by Arthur(Mark Strong) and George(Harry Ditson) who tell him that she cannot make it due to a scheduled performance in the city, getting him to agree to spend the night in the bargain. Just don't mind the dead guy at the bottom of the escalator. Happens all the time. The following day on the way to the Metropolitan, John persuades Elena to take a detour with him to Williamsburg. Even then, they are still being followed...

While still pretty much a bad movie, it is also almost impossible for me to hate something as warped as "It's All About Love." This might just be a prime example of something that sounded good when proposed but could not be made to work on the screen. The movie's central problem is its romance which is usually what grounds a movie like this but is in fact the heart of the insanity. While Danes and Phoenix look good together, it took me a while to realize their halting speech was a result of their futilely attempting Polish accents. And don't get me started on Sean Penn attempting an Italian accent.(If any of you know where I can get any of that fear of flying medicine, please get in touch with me.) By comparison, the largely British supporting cast fares well. Additionally, with the exception of an invention integral to the plot, the movie provides little insight into what the world may look like in 2021. In any case, I think Africa will have worse problems than people levitating. All I know for sure is the only places in New York City where someone will be able to smoke are Riker's Island and a barge in the East River. Come to think of it, everybody smoking is probably what's causing all of the hearts stopping.
½ February 5, 2011
It's not what it looks to be, an ordinary love drama that is.
The movie is weird and haunting from the very start.
There is a lot of loose ends, but that's kind of the point with a movie like this

Although there is alot that could have neen done better, I still like it.
Sometimes an interesting failure is som much more giving than a slight simple sucess.

More Danish-British-French-U.S.-Japanese-Swedish-Norwegian-German-Dutch co-productions to the people, please
½ January 2, 2011
At first I had relatively big expectations about it. Guess what - huuuge mistake!!! I tend to consider myself as a part of the intelligent audience, the one who always thinks over the movie and at a certain moment finds the point in the whole thing. It felt that the director has wanted to say, show, do etc.... so much things that finally he has done practically nothing. We see some disturbingly 'wierd' people walking around in a strange apartment (which appears to be kind of a whorehouse) and from time to time the the protagonists decide to go somewhere then they jump in a black limo and the people from the apartment start to follow and shoot them, after that they return in the apartment once again (that's about an hour of the movie). Finally they appear in an ice rink, where we see three clones of the girl and in a few moments someone shots them (no idea who). After that we see the ICE AGE (so far we haven't hear not a single word about apocalypse) And the ''Best part'' was that during the whole movie, a man who is someway related to the protagonists (about that ofcourse, we know nothing) appears and says a few words. For the record I watched it to the end with the desperate hope that something was going to happen, AT LAST.
½ December 19, 2010
viewers who watch it as a sci-fi will rate it half a star, the ones who watch it as a classical love story will put 2 stars on it, but this film is not about this at all. it just turns the most simple line of the movie into a complex cinematographic metaphora about the most important human relation - people losing their hearts end dead on the streets, putting the world upside-down, with snows in july and gravity eluded, but nevetheless, despite losing love and humanity, fighting replacements, family business and memories, and even the end not being like in the fairy tales we watch on moviplex, all those are only about love... all this movie gravitates its symbols, visuals and lines, around these simple words: it's all about love
September 24, 2010
i found the story stupid
September 17, 2010
To call this movie a science fiction,was an insult to science and fiction. The movie was set in the near future, 2021, except for the CGI double deck airplane at the beginning you could not trace anything of the future, everything looked exactly like the year it was filmed in. There was lots of bad science fiction cliche, with no real explanation,that overcome so silly and stupid, like dead people laying everywhere, even in trash cans. They did some attempts for some changes, they distract from the real elements of the movie, but serve no purpose than to confuse like all fresh water on Earth freezes for exactly two minutes all over the planet. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The filmmakers would have been better off setting the movie in the present day, and stop the crazy attempts for future. In sum, the plot was pure nonsense. For you who have not yet watch this piece of garbage, please don't wast your time on this.
mvieaddict
September 16, 2010
September 13, 2010
Some of it makes little sense. And some of it is pretty schamltzy (or pretty + schmaltzy). And some of it is also very dramatic and acted with conviction. It's also got multiple Claire Danes and one of Phoenix's most subdued turns. And somehow, against all its pretentious odds (and Sean Penn just rambling on a plane), it works.
July 27, 2010
Na época foi muito criticado, talvez incompreendido - o primeiro artifício de que se utilizam os defensores de um objeto. ? um filme difícil, é verdade, mas raro, de uma beleza singular e lírica, um romance 'sui generis' com ótimos momentos, razões suficientes para não descartá-lo.
July 2, 2010
Incoherent, babbling mishmash is such a colossal failure I felt thoroughly embarrassed for all the wasted talent. Did they have NO idea?
½ May 13, 2010
It's visually nice, pretty well acted, and unusual. But also sort of pretentious half-sense, so overall it's a meh.
½ May 10, 2010
Disturbing, to say the least. It reminded me of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? which is not a good thing....
March 1, 2010
This is one of those abstract artistic over the top crap movies that would have made a whole lot of sense and more money if the writer/director would have left out all that confusing, unimportant stuff about flying black people, the end of the world and global warming and got to the root of the story. This actually had a decent plot and sure as hell was creepy. Claire Danes did a job job playing about 50 people and Joaquin Phoenix did the best he could with this script. I was slighty confused about Sean Penn's role althought it was a pleasent surprise to see him. The story would have been more stronger if it wasn't so abstract and the writer decided to take a chance and made the script more of a thriller and not so much about an ice skater but of someone of importance. Boring and confusing in the beginning but it all finally made sense and lead to a sad ending.
½ January 12, 2010
Supposedly "It's All About Love" but I honestly couldn't tell you what this film is all about. I kept waiting for it to become more clear and to start to make sense but it just really never did. I kept watching it thinking, "what in the world?" I was interested in it because of Joaquin Phoenix who I typically really like but even he wasn't enough to make me enjoy this film. I just couldn't get into it nor really relate to the story or where they were headed with the plotline. And Sean Penn's character made no sense to me. Why was he really even in this movie? What purpose did his character serve? I don't know and it got to the point where I really didn't even care...
January 2, 2010
shite alert!! Do NOT watch!