It's Not Yet Dark Reviews

• Nov 18, 2017

This film is not maudlin, sugar-coated or depressing. While this documentary concerns the effect of ALS (MND) on one man and his family, it is much more than just about disease. This is a documentary on the life and passion of director, writer, husband and father, Simon Fitzmaurice. It did not leave me in tears, but only impressed with his accomplishments and the skills of the director of this documentary, Frankie Fenton. Reading the synopsis and searching online about Simon Fitzmaurice gave me data that almost caused me to skip this film. Unlike many films about devastating illnesses, this one radiates hope not despair. Technically this film is scored, edited, filmed and directed flawlessly. Colin Farrell was more than just a narrator, his voice gave this film an energy and force which made the film flow. The term, "talking heads" for family friends and relatives giving exposition does not even fully apply. Everyone who spoke were clear, eloquent and interesting. No one lost precious time with family, friends and co-workers by angst or what-ifs. As said earlier, I was not left in tears, only hopeful for all of us.

• Aug 05, 2017

An intellectually stimulating look and thought experiment about a disease that is horrifying to the families and people who have to endure the track it makes people who are diagnosed with it. I thought it was better than Gleason, though the family (wife in particular) was a bit disconnected from the movie it felt.