Reviews

• Dec 11, 2012

it cures something in my heart.

it cures something in my heart.

• Jul 24, 2011

Slow film but is perfect in many ways and it's a sad tale about loneliness. Im saying a generalization but in the Japanese cinema is were i find more than the called "slice of life" movies and a master in those kind of films is Hiroki. The performances of Sinobu Terajima and Etsushi Toyokawa are simply amazing and moving, (the scene in the karaoke one of the best). This film centers his plot in Yuko and her problems with depression and her relationship with men, specially the weird bond that makes with his cousin. Actually this film remind me a lot of Antonioni because a lot of things happens but you don't know if the main problem was solved, or even if there was a problem. The movie end is as depressing as astonishing and you end up having that void in the stomach, that feeling that could make you believe that everything was in vain, but it wasn't is just that some movies are pretty much like life itself, and doesn't have a proper answer or way to end it.

• Feb 24, 2010

The soundtrack is great indeed. The acting is as well. but I thought the ending was too much... and that long phone call at the end to spare screening time....????

• Sep 11, 2009

Soundtrack in this film is brilliant.

Soundtrack in this film is brilliant.

• Jul 31, 2008

Funny and depressing at the same time. Very life-like.

Funny and depressing at the same time. Very life-like.

• Apr 20, 2008

being more open to see more inside this world

being more open to see more inside this world

• Feb 17, 2008

Shinobu Terajima is one of the most wonderful actresses I've ever seen perform. She completely made Yuko's manic depression real for me, every facet of her character [all six or so of them] were honestly portrayed, and the camera never betrayed that. Ryuichi Hiroki outdoes himself here - and this is the director [and actress] who made Vibrator!

• Feb 16, 2008

There's something lacking in life. A hole that can never be filled.

There's something lacking in life. A hole that can never be filled.

• Feb 03, 2008

A slow, moody, well-done Japanese drama about really nothing at all that says quite a bit about what it is to be human- to be alive, and to be lonely. By the same director and starring the same female lead as Vibrator (and a surprising Yakuza role played by Tsumabuki Tsuyoshi!), Yawarakai Seikatsu is more ambitious and more rewarding than that film. Worth seeing for patient enjoyers of private film.

• Dec 04, 2007

Another great little Japanese movie about life. Nothing more to say, just watch it if you have the chance.