Reviews

• Oct 22, 2018

Wonderful Czech new wave film where the comedy of small town life is showing how the seemingly mundane contains moments of pure wonder

• Dec 30, 2014

an amateure movie, even though i liked it, but still primate from a minimalist point of view i think he'll gain a high score, but for me the problem is the connection between the scene, there is an idea but he can't formulate it, can't present it in a professional way, it's also work as a daily life snapshots.

• Edgar C Super Reviewer
    Jul 07, 2014

Ah, those Sundays! Among all the films of the irreverent Czech cinematic movement, among all the politically outspoken pieces of social and governmental controversy, anarchich feminism and experimental violence, a simple-minded, light-hearted, highly accessible piece of Czech conventional comedy can be found. And it is truly a delight. The whole film is shot with such care and naturalism that the viewer becomes the visitor: attending the villa funerals, playing musical instruments with the small orchestra, throwing food at the other guests, laughing with the children, getting drunk, walking through fields, chatting, and the most important thing of all, snooping through the door cracks to hear people snoring at midnight, especially "beautiful women". If you asked me what is it that makes this film so special, I would say nothing at all... and that's precisely what makes it special. Simplicity is rarely so charming, the collective array of characters so llikeable, and the kids so funny and adorable (children in general are a delight in the Czech New Wave!) So, it would be a mistake to approach Passer's celebration with the expectations that the New Wave could have implanted in his/her brain beforehand; whenever you're facing a rainy summer night or are looking for something little with a big heart, you can play with this boy anyday. A simple review for a simple film. 81/100

• Jan 12, 2011

This movie may be the most powerful "feel-good" movie I have ever seen. It is so understated that it doesn't feel at all manipulative. (I am unfortunately much too sensitive to manipulation.) It's in B&W, with one beautiful scene after another, yet seeming so natural, almost accidental. There's no sex & violence, no nudity and no guns. There's hardly even a plot. Yet I, the most restless of moviegoers, never once thought of leaving, and I wished it would have continued longer. The audience was rapt, and rashes of laughter were common, especially as the movie went along. Situations developed, that were perfectly reasonable yet somehow hopelessly silly. Intimate Lighting showed together with a Passer short: "A Boring Afternoon" or some title like that. It had a very similar feel. It was nothing more than old men in a bar, talking the sports of their youth and trashing the current generation. But it was captivating from start to finish.

• Feb 19, 2009

A landmark Czech new wave film and I imagine, in its own naturalistic way, a big influence on numerous directors since its creation. The story is minimal but if ever there was a film that is more than the sum of its parts then this is it. The cinematography, direction and performances are breathtaking and my first thought on finishing watching the movie was - 'I must see this again'. The fact that all but one of the main actors were non-professionals is amazing. Blazek, who died very shortly after the movie was completed is especially good but all the cast are memorable. Give me this above the Stanislavski method anyday. Simple and superb.

• Nov 09, 2008

According to all those who admire this film, it was such a big disappointment for me... Surely a trustworthy image of 1965 in that area but too slow.... some moments even boring, the symbolic level is nice but the whole film is not that good in comparison with other Czechoslovakian film diamonds of the 1960´s

• Dec 29, 2007

Ivan Passer, comme Milos Forman, a quitte la tchecoslovaquie au debut de sa carriere. Eclairage Intime est l'un de ses plus beaux films. Humour ironique teinte de melancolie typique de ce cette nouvelle vague tcheque. Profondement humaniste.

• Dec 19, 2007