Izzy Gets the F*ck Across Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Izzy Gets the F*ck Across Town Reviews

November 5, 2018
This a tough movie to describe. The PLOT is that Izzy is trying to get across LA, despite having very limited access to transportation, to break up the engagement of her ex-boyfriend to her best friend (or, I guess, former best friend). Izzy has limited coping skills, so we see her drifting in a very non-lineal way. She has no real job or money, so sleeps on a friends couch (and the friend's husband wants her OUT!), her car is broken and she can't really afford to get it fixed anyway. She gets access to a bike, but even then her journey is interrupted by sidebar characters, and eventually an extended visit to her sister, who is older, more settled and after years of putting up with Izzy's lack of getting a life...more than a little unhappy with little sis. Finally, Izzy gets the meeting she craves, and as only she can do, she both wins and loses.

The plot is almost beside the point. The fun of the film, if you're willing to go with it, rests with:

1) Mackenzie Davis' (HALT AND CATCH FIRE, TULLY) fully committed portrayal of this commitment-phobic young lady. She's intelligent but deeply disinterested in learning how to "deal" with life and its challenges. She's charming but self-centered. She's creative but shockingly uninventive with her coping skills. She'd be VERY easy to deeply dislike (especially from someone like me, a 54 year old man who has little sympathy for a 20-something being afraid to start being an adult)...but Davis juggles this character wonderfully. I'd say it was a star-making performance, but no one is watching this film, which is a bit of a shame.

2) A wildly eclectic set of supporting actors, most of whom appear in a tiny handful of scenes. My favorite is Carrie Coons (as the sister)...because she's one of the 5 best actors working today. She makes EVERYTHING she does pop with intelligence, humor and anger. But you've also got Alia Shawkat (ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT), Lakeith Stanfield, Rob Huebbel, Annie Potts (when was the last time I saw HER in anything) and in a delightfully odd performance, Haley Joel Osment. Just seeing these folks drift in and out of this film makes it a fun journey.

In the end, the film might (or might not) be trying to say something about the difficulties of "adulting" in our day and age. Or about how obsessing over a relationship, even one that's CLEARLY troubled, can stunt our growth and keep us from tackling even the most basic things we need to do. That no matter how smart you are, it's easy to make really dumb romantic choices.

For me, though, it was just a fun, rambling, ambling story with fun actors doing and saying mildly funny things, all with a VERY slight bittersweetness hanging over it all. The ending is both frustrating and perfect. And above all, Mackenzie Davis delivers the goods and is an exciting talent. (She was very engaging in the recent TULLY and interesting to look at in the recent BLADE RUNNER sequel.) It's certainly worth a look!
½ September 27, 2018
While Mackenzie Davis is a talented performer, everything happening in this movie feels like it needed to be shouted at the audience, so they didn't fall asleep of its pointless plot. Who was this for? Well, not me !
½ July 19, 2018
Saw it once at a festival and saw it again in the theater. Even better the second time!
June 27, 2018
I went into this movie knowing nothing about it and enjoyed it at every turn. The structure of the movie moves the plot along at clip and the performances (from an impressively assembled cast) are great, especially Davis in the titular role and Carrie Coon. It's funny, at times poignant, and doesn't fall back on the usual relationship tropes-even when you think it's going to. And the soundtrack is killer.
June 27, 2018
Cast, music, .... So well done. Izzy is captivating start to finish. Speaks to those who dream the "what if" ...The reality of it all suddenly all puts the dreamers in check. This film touches a note thar the Hollywood machine often avoids. TRUTH. Izzy is a great watch that will stand up in years to come.
June 26, 2018
Mackenzie Davis's punkish, seemingly no-fxxks-given and clown-like portrayal of Izzy makes the audience feel for her and laugh at her as we follow alongside her rocky Odyssey to reclaim her true love who was taken by her former best friend. Director Christian Papierniak is a master in making every character shine with their own moments, making this movie a fun ride for film junkies to see familiar faces. From the unkempt Haley Joe Osment's love confession to the guarded but sage-like Annie Potts's reminiscence about her late husband, every interaction is exciting and unique. Carrie Coon shines through as Izzy's distanced sister Victoria, who despite her cold and kept-together appearance, may have a wilder and darker side lurking underneath. Do the sisters still have anything in common? You'll have to see it for yourself. Come enjoy this ride, whether you're a punk rock fan or not. 5/5
½ June 26, 2018
It was fun, fast and really well acted. It reminded of true true indie film from the 90's before everyone started making (big budget multi million dollar) independent films. I saw in an online interview it was made for 200,000. Crazy. I love it.
June 25, 2018
Great acting, great directing - go see it!
June 25, 2018
Loved it. Mackenzie Davis is totally likable and relatable as the main character who can't get her sh*t together and has to get the f*ck across town in order to crash an engagement party. Lots of great moments, arguably the best of which is a duet between Izzy and her sister, played by Carrie Coon, who is mindblowing as always. The soundtrack is incredible, especially the duet which should be a single if it isn't already. Loved this film. Charming and funny.
June 24, 2018
Funny and kind of dark. Fast paced and smart. I feel like I have to see it again to catch all the little funny bits. I loved the writing, the acting and the music.
June 24, 2018
Enjoyable film, especially when you consider how low a budget they had.
½ June 24, 2018
Probably not the target audience as It certainly plays well to the younger (under 50 audience) but it tells an interesting story that is face paced and isn't the normal movie fare. As everyone else is saying Mackensie Davis is a tour de force and along the way its a romp to see all these other excellent actors interact. You aren't necessarily going to like the character Izzy but she will not be ignored. Considering that this movie was made on such a shoestring only adds to the appeal (I mean what Jurassic World is made for 170 Million...this movie was made on 160k and they both get the same rating overall. I can't imagine what this guy could do with even the catering budget of that movie. Kudos all around.
June 24, 2018
I loved this movie! Christian Papierniak's punk comedy takes you on a raucous journey of middle fingers to conventional storytelling. It's a true anti-hero story about a woman who refuses to accept the way things are in various ways. She's frustrating, messy and offbeat, and the story brilliantly unfolds the same way through the characters she meets along the way and the lessons she learns. . We are also given the most masterful moment when Mackenzie Davis' Izzy and her sister played by Carrie Coon share moments we wont soon forget when they trudge through their entire past conflict just by singing a song and looking eachother in the eyes Overall, Id say Izzy Gets the F*ck Across Town is brilliantly the "Laurel vs Yanny" movie of 2018. If you don't get it, it's because you can only hear one.
½ June 23, 2018
Can't wait to see the sister sing again! Loved it
½ June 23, 2018
It's a road movie so not every stop is a total home run - but this movie was rad. Definitely worth the admission. I worship Carrie Coon, she is Queen!
June 23, 2018
This movie passes every test. Solid acting, writing, directing, and the music was off the charts - Mackenzie Davis is a superstar. Agree with the other dude on here - if you're under 55 you'll dig this...... PS. why are all of the "top critics" older white dudes? -- seems like there should be more women in the mix for a movie like this
June 23, 2018
Mackenzie Davis does an excellent job of playing a desperate young woman eager to breakup her ex's engagement. We find ourselves rooting for her success, while also realizing at times, she is a complete mess. There were comical moments as well as truly poignant ones...and an unexpected twist at the end which I did not see coming. An excellent debut by Christian Papierniak...hope to see more of his work in the years ahead.
June 22, 2018
Solid movie. Very well written and an excellent cast.
½ June 22, 2018
people over 5 wont get it, everyone under 55 will love it. Thats why Roeper gave it what he did.
June 22, 2018
Entertaining flick with great acting. Defintiely a must see!