Jack the Ripper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack the Ripper Reviews

October 31, 2016
Great movie with great acting from Michael Cane
February 5, 2016
Near perfect telling of the story of Jack The Ripper with Caine as a pissed off inspector of Scotland Yard. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see The Ripper get away. Personal wish aside, this is a must watch for fans of the story of Jack The Ripper.
June 16, 2014
One of Michael Caine's best performances
April 27, 2013
This made for TV production didn't have the same big buget as From Hell did,but its just as good
April 23, 2013
Possibly one of the greatest movies ever made this Gothic horror/thriller has both intelligence and stupidity which makes it one of the most enjoyable movies ever made.
½ January 31, 2012
Very good. Not great, but re - watchable. I wasn't looking forward to the ending (because i thought there wouldn't be a good one seeing as no one knows who Jack the Ripper was! ) BUT it was quite imagnative. For a two part tv series running at 190 minutes it wasn't bad at all. The second part was slightly stronger, Caine and Collins as a kind of Holmes and Watson....but without many clues.
½ June 19, 2011
Fantastic depection of the events leading up to the end of the infamous Whitechapel killing spree. Spectacular performances from Caine and the entire cast.
½ April 22, 2011
Five murders of five prostitutes, taking place in the same area between August 31 and November 9, in 1888. To this day, the case remains officially unsolved. It's notariety is partially because it was the first serial murder case to be sensationalized in the press.

I saw this excellent version of the story when it originally aired on television. David Wickes (London Weekend Television) had done it again. Without getting overly graphic - made for TV, remember - the story of the East End prostitutes was brought to life with beautiful production values, an intelligent screenplay, and a top-flight cast.

The characters of Inspector Abberline (Michael Caine) and Sgt. George Godley are probably more accurate here than they are as portrayed in "From Hell." (One major error in "From Hell" is the character's death; Abberline died in 1929 of old age in Bournemouth.) They are played here as real; the sub-plot of Richard Mansfield (Armand Assante) is woven in authentically. The mood of the times is re-created with startling clarity, and the sequence of events holds with historical facts, only two or three minor exceptions.

The plotline of this version starts with Mary Nicholls' death, and follows through the investigation and confusion of the case, with each successive death adding to the tensions and social unrest. Mary Kelly was the last, and then Jack vanished into the mists of history. Although the running time on this version seems overlong (it was shown in two parts originally), the pacing never allows boredom to creep in. Wickes' production (he also directed) came to a conclusion similar to those presented in "Murder by Decree" (fictionalized to include Sherlock Holmes) and "From Hell." What is presented here is labeled as opinion, and it is plausible.

This is the one I watch again and again. If you see a copy, grab it! Here's hoping the DVD will become available.
September 14, 2010
I came across on tv sometime after midnight, at a point I was already thinking about going to bed. Well, I didn't!
Michael Caine rather younger than I'm used to seeing him, but still as charming as ever, if not even more! And a rather interesting story off course.
July 23, 2010
A great cast of actors star in this powerful TV movie, that actually played out as a mini series in 1988 (100 years after the actual case). Everyone one loves a good crime story and like many before (and since), this Ripper movie once again takes a look at the possibility of a Royal connection. I don't believe in this colourful theory myself but one thing does puzzle me and that was the active involvement of Scotland Yard almost immediately (why?). Well this TV production can't be faltered, nor can the acting so hat's off to all involved. Michael Caine is on top form to.
½ March 30, 2010
Not the full 5 Stars as some of the actors just overdo their character, and also it's nothing too special considering cinematography. Nevertheless, the rest of the movie, including production design, story, acting are nothing less but brilliant. I have always and will always say, that this is my favorite movie of all!
February 10, 2010
A long, but well-made and well-researched TV movie from the late eighties. Not graphic, yet dark, suspenseful and atmospheric. Michael Caine is, as always, brilliant, and probably shouts more in this than in any other movie!
½ November 24, 2009
Speculative account of the investigations into Jack the Ripper's murders, Michael Caine was good but the story just looked like the TV film equivalent of tabloid journalism.
October 14, 2009
Very well-done television miniseries about the most popular of the long-discredited Jack the Ripper conspiracy theories.

The entire production is top-notch. Michael Caine is fantastic as always, as is Armand Assante. Lysette Anthony pops up to remind us once again that she could have been a major scream queen had she been working in the age of Hammer. The sets, costumes and lighting are also all worthy eye-candy for lovers of period drama.

As for the theory presented as a resolution, the same was handled in a much more compelling way by Alan Moore in From Hell (the comic, not so much the movie).
DrLappos
July 18, 2009
I hate to do it to you all but they dont catch the bugger....and it was the queens doctor....you dont have to see it now...lol..Only kidding this is a great adaptation of the classic tale.
July 1, 2009
Gorgeous costumes, rich colours/lightning and atmospheric sets give enormous boost to this overtly melodramatic version. Excellent score too, ranging from pseudo-Victorian grandness to thrilling spookiness, and atmosphere could be cut by Jackīs knife, but villainīs identity s polluted by main sin of Ripperology: accusing anyone who is dead and canīt sue you.
April 25, 2009
Very decent and interesting. Believable plot.
½ March 28, 2009
This version was good. Thank goodness Scottland yard got envolved and it did not hurt going to the theatre finally>
March 4, 2009
A rather suspenseful interpretation of the story of Jack the Ripper. I liked the rendering of the nineteenth-century foggy Whitechapel neighbourhood.