The Jackie Robinson Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Jackie Robinson Story Reviews

January 6, 2015
Having the barrier-breaker portray himself is an excellent touch. However, from reel one onward, the film feels rushed and the acting (except Robinson's) is unnatural.
April 18, 2013
Hokey but in the best possible way. This is a good old-fashioned American movie about America's pastime's role in the American Dream. Powerful stuff.
April 6, 2013
I wish I could bring the Dodgers back to Brooklynn and give them that intimate home time feel back to Brooklynn Sincerely Sgt. Mark Braden
February 16, 2013
I have to appreciate this film because it made an effort to tell this incredible story with the only actor who could do it justice and that would be Jackie Robinson himself. The film is not extraordinary (I prefer The Pride of the Yankees) but nevertheless it is important all the same because of what number 42 did for baseball and american society. He is a true hero who deserves recognition and he is close to my heart as a Dodger. I am hopeful that 42 will be a respectable adaption of his story because Jackie Robinson deserves it.
October 13, 2012
Jackie Robinson playing himself is what most critics say benefits the movie. I happen to think the opposite. If I were portraying myself in a movie, I'd never want to do it in such a pathetic manner, whether it was true or not.
May 25, 2012
First black man allowed to play professional baseball.
April 18, 2012
awesome bio-pic starring the man himself playing himself like audie murphy played himself in 'to hell and back'
April 18, 2012
Jackie Robinson played himself in this 1950 movie. Not. Only a great ball player Robinson played football & basketball in college.
February 3, 2012
"The Jackie Robinson Story" falls flat in comparison to most other baseball films out there, fictional or non-fictional. I respect the fact that Jackie Robinson played himself in the lead role, but that is the only reason that I gave this movie a chance. It does feel a bit gimmicky since his acting is expectedly below Hollywood standards and this definitely seemed more like a made-for-tv movie than something that people paid to see in the theaters. His story is an amazing one, but it feels very rushed with its 76-minute runtime. This film is an important preservation of history and the racism that our country once faced, but if I were recommending a baseball film, this wouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as "Pride of the Yankees" or "Field of Dreams."
December 27, 2011
Super bad film quality and cheesy acting but still a decent tale of Jackie and the hardships he faced played pro baseball in the all white era.
½ July 15, 2011
Love this. Watch this
½ July 10, 2011
Watching this now. Great biodrama staring Jackie Robinson and Ruby Dee.
July 3, 2011
The person who thought Jackie Robinson would make a good actor should be taken out back and shot.
July 3, 2011
April 3, 2010
First black man allowed to play professional baseball.
½ July 4, 2009
Great story about Jackie Robinson... interesting version... I had to remember it was released iin 1950. Racial aspect surely paled to the reality he faced. It was strange seeing him play himself as a young man. Woulda been nice if they'd mentioned Pee Wee Reese & showed some actual game footage. Found the DVD it in a discount bin... worth it.
December 12, 2008
jackie Robinson plays Jackie Robinson in this true Jackie Robinson story about Jackie Robinson.
November 3, 2008
Jackie plays himself, so the movie is wonderful in that aspect. A great way to introduce Jackie Robinson to the next generation.
½ May 2, 2008
Jackie Robinson is one of my all time sports heroes. Yes, the man was a great baseball player, but it's what he did off the field that will forever make him a legend in my eyes. Before I saw this film I could only imagine what it must have been like to be the ONLY black player in major league baseball. Unfortunately, after I saw this film I could still only imagine what it must have been like. The Jackie Robinson Story, the movie, is a product of its day. This one is melodramatic, at times sentimental, and not very accurate. To say this one pulls punches would be an understatement. What Jackie had to endure was a thousand times worse than anything depicted here. Still, it offers a glimpse into the socio-political climate of America in the 1930's & 40's even if it is sugarcoated and toned down.