Jacob Have I Loved - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jacob Have I Loved Reviews

½ October 3, 2016
Blecch. I mean, I know it IS from the 80s but Jesus, even the worst blaxploitation movies had more production value than this! The characters all feel artificial, lifeless, except for two: the Captain and Louise. The two only saving graces of the film. It is terrible how they cut out a large swathe of character development from the novel when making this. Not worth the money, I say.
½ July 9, 2015
I haven't read the book on which this is based, but I would hope that it is more substantial than this adaptation would suggest. It was made for television, so I can live with the cheap-looking sets and photography, but the acting was pretty iffy, even for TV. Most detrimental to the film is its length. 55 minutes wasn't enough to develop characters and relationships, much less over the span of a year, as the story does. Despite its cheap, rushed nature, it does have some nice cinematography and a decent score. It also takes place in my native Maryland. It's not something I would advocate buying on DVD, but it wouldn't hurt to watch if they decided to run it on TV again.
December 22, 2008
Reading the book i loved it. The story was so bitter and sad, the movie on the other hand didn't live up. Sure it was sad and made you despise Caroline but they didn't put in some crucial scenes, and they ruined the movie by changing the ending.