Jakob, der Lügner (Jacob the Liar) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jakob, der Lügner (Jacob the Liar) Reviews

April 28, 2013
As a film the quality is not amazing, but the story is.
August 30, 2012
Captures the inevitability of the situation quite well, even as the variations on the theme of lying/storytelling are a bit clunkily contrasted.
December 24, 2010
True story about the Jews, set in war time (Poland) ...great acting as always by Robin Williams
½ November 17, 2010
1975 East German film version of Jurek Becker's novel. Jacob is tempted to give away one piece of news that spirals into a series of lies that create hope for all, and the question becomes if such creation of hope, under these circumstances, is the right thing to do. Watch it, even though it is with sub titles.
August 24, 2010
Very good Oscar nominated foreign film from Germany (technically from East Germany) about the title character Jacob who lives with his young niece in a Jewish ghetto near the end of WWII and manages to convince everyone in the village that he is in possession of a radio. Of course this is all a lie, but giving his suffering friends â??newsâ?? gives them hope, so heâ??s unable to get out of the lie he keeps getting himself deeper into. A nice story with some sweet moments as well as some disturbing ones, the whole cast does a great job. The ending is excellent.
April 18, 2010
Not sure I'd call it a "drama/comedy." I imagine this must have at least partially inspired "Life is Beautiful," which I actually LOVE (and that, yes, can see the commedic element in). It was a sad but important piece. I am not one of those who think we have enough Holocaust movies, and I'm always up for more.
February 27, 2010
A bit slow at times but very powerful.
July 21, 2009
war setting comedy drama
February 12, 2009
this is the original film , the updated version is much better ( robbin williams ) but can not find it in the flixster listings
November 20, 2008
nominated for best foreign film at the oscars
½ March 24, 2008
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.
February 10, 2008
I love East German cinema, and this has to be one of the most poignant films I have ever seen. It haunted me for days. The scene with the "princess" dancing around with the "cloud" to violin music just moved me.
January 29, 2008
blehh, not that great..
January 7, 2008
This film was a delightful surprise, considering we thought were were watching the remake with Robin Williams. Anyway, there was some light through the darkness - a very powerful lesson about the human importance of hope during the Holocaust. I'd recommend it to anyone.
October 7, 2007
I wish I hadn't been so tired when I watched it, but it is undeniably a very moving film that perfectly handles such a delicate subject matter. Wonderful performances.
July 23, 2007
Robin Williams fitted in his role perfectly. Overall the movie is full of surprises.
July 4, 2007
This movie is about Jacob who lives in a jewisch ghetto and he starts telling (untrue) stories to make the lifes of his friends more hopeful and happier. It´s about friendship and love. It´s really good. You should all watch it!
June 20, 2007
this is an awsam movie...sad ending but that the kind of ending i love!
May 29, 2007
sad but teaches a moral ery good, i like robin williams