Jacqueline Susann's 'Once Is Not Enough' Reviews

• Jul 22, 2014

It fixes the book's assumed-into-heaven/abducted-by-aliens/general WTF ending, but leaves out a lot of the same's salacious goodness. Subplots are introduced and then just left dangling in the wind. It's not camp like the Valley of the Dolls or The Love Machine adaptations and so it's just middling.

• Oct 02, 2013

Though this mid-seventies attempt at shock cinema fails to shock or even be slightly erotic, there is fun to be found in Guy Green's faux-lurid take on Jacqueline Susann's veiled characterization of real people in the entertainment and fashion world of the early 1970's finds itself stuck somewhere between dull and unintended camp. Not fun enough to compare to the late 1960's classic adaptation of VALLEY OF THE DOLLS or 1980's MOMMIE DEAREST -- but it does have a few fun moments and the overall trashy disco look of the sets and clothing offer some "so bad it is almost good" elements for viewers. Brenda Vaccaro managed to secure and OSCAR nomination for her over-the-top take on a younger impersonation of Helen Gurley Brown. If only the camp factors were a bit higher in this fairly middle of the road cinematic spin...

• Aug 17, 2013

The Title is a Lie....Seeing it Once Really Is Enough!!

The Title is a Lie....Seeing it Once Really Is Enough!!

• Dec 14, 2011

Considering it's two hours of almost complete garbage, once is definitely *more* than enough. Only the performances of Deborah Raffin, Kirk Douglas, David Janssen, and Brenda Vaccaro keep it from being a total disaster. Not even they can make it worth sitting through, though. Skip it.

• Nov 06, 2011

I read the novel, it was, i should say, sensational, i haven't finished reading it yet, just a quarter to go, but i could sense tragedy.. innocence consumed by evilness, sometimes LOVE is DUMB. A very good plot, it's worth the read! and i think im on my way to watch?! wish me luck! hehehe :) take care :DD

• Feb 02, 2011

If you took bland flavorless chicken and Chinese noodles and threw it against the wall, it still would not be a bland big mess compared to this film. I am frequently hard on films made "B.R"-what I like to call Before Reagan, meaning pre 1980. Admittedly I grew up in the 1980s, I have no memory or imagery to base line the feel of the 1970s, so that leaves me to search thru the detritus of films made in this era, to look at what life was like. And from what I have found, it was a dark, gloomy, scary world inhabited by scary, hairy individuals that spoke in a strange voice cadence and smoked alot of cigarettes. "Once is Not Enough" was my latest adventure into the time portal heading back to 1975, and as usual it was not a fun trip at all. Based on some chicks novel, the film tells a story of a down on his luck Hollywood film producer out of work, he looks like a zombie-fied Michael Douglas..(the actor who played him is Kirk Douglas...ohhhh I see). Anyway he has a smoking hot young 20 year old daughter named January, who has been cast away to live and study in Europe as he slept and sleazed his life away in LA. January returns home to America to find her father is now seeking her approval all the sudden, and in this effort to look "calmed down" he marries a billionaire woman, who happens to be a lesbian. In the 70s, it wasnt cool to be a lesbian I guess because this old hag has to sneak around to luxury hotels to have sexual rendezvous with her girl toy, who is also an old cracked face haggard Mexican woman. Bored yet? Well, the only thing that kept me going was January, (her beauty was truly amazing) and well January falls in love with some 50 year old alchoholic womanizing LA type like her father, because as we all know, girls grow up looking for a man that reminds them of their fathers. This old whiskey swilling, hairy nasty old man plays with Januarys heart, (and body), causing her father (the zombie like Kirk Douglas) to literally go into shock and anger with her choice in men. Her father gives her an ultimatum, old drunk hairy molester, or me. Guess who she chose?.. I won't spoil the ending, but its a yawner anyway. Final Verdict: I would rather go ahead with a root canal then be forced to watch this movie again, so call your dentist.

• Aug 17, 2009

soooo bad that its good!

soooo bad that its good!

• Aug 15, 2009

Not even good trash.

Not even good trash.

• Oct 02, 2008

Jacqueline Susann's characteristically unshadowed world of wealth and deodorised amorality to the screen with all the ringing confidence of a sanitary towel commercial. Green's direction is highly professional, and the overall slickness is fascinatingly allowed to lie like the very thinnest of veneers over absolutely nothing.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Aug 17, 2008

Almost total junk, Brenda Vaccaro is a bright spot, Kirk and Alexis add class to their few scenes, they must have read the rest of the script and demanded out!