Jade - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jade Reviews

½ August 16, 2013
It was on cable and wanted to watch it because of the reference from '40 Year Old Virgin'. Not a good movie, but mentally chuckled every time David Caruso was on screen.
½ July 16, 2013
Seamy but lackluster erotic nonsense from writer Joe Eszterhas (Basic Instinct, Showgirls), with William Friedkin directing by-the-numbers - though, he knows how to pull off car chases. The 90s was a shaky time for Friedkin's career.
½ July 11, 2013
Seamy but lacklustre erotic nonsense from writer Joe Eszterhas (Basic Instinct, Showgirls), with William Friedkin directing by-the-numbers - though, he knows how to pull off car chases.
The 90s was a shaky time for Friedkin's career.
July 9, 2013
My Favorite Suspense Film Is 1991's The Silence Of The Lambs.
June 18, 2013
Alright this film is for William Friedkin fans. The films carries itself through with great mystery, which is complemented well by a terrific soundtrack, especially during the setup. The opening scenes can really take you on a ride of imagination and fantasy, which would make you wonder if the film had been any better had it taken a different turn from thereon. In the end, it may leave you with an unsatisfied feeling, as if the mystery it has built up has been killed. Probably not giving this box office bomb enough meat to make it a cult film. The erotica in the film slightly leans towards unpleasantness, which is not an unpleasant idea in itself by any means. Not the best of acting performances though, perhaps Linda Fiorentino doing the best job of the lot. The trademark Friedkin car chase scene is tedious with a lot of holes in it. I'd rather have it cut down a little. Same goes for other chase scene. Certainly not a film I would pass and I did not.

My Logline: The investigation of the murder of a billionaire businessman leads a threatened assistant district attorney to the dark and mysterious world of sexual blackmail of the rich and the powerful, shockingly involving his love interest.
May 14, 2013
OOO Power, sex and money are three basic axes to do any corrupt society
but really awesome movie.....
January 27, 2013
I have the Director's cut and I have much love for this movie.
January 22, 2013
Life is too short. Couldn't finish this. Too dull and uninteresting.
November 18, 2012
David Caruso,Linda Fiorentino,Chazz Palminteri i Richard Crenna. Triler na mesto!
½ October 31, 2012
An entertaining B thriller with an ambitious plot : sexual deviations, murder, suspense.Great cast
½ September 2, 2012
totally underated. the director's ending completes the story, without it, there are questions.
½ August 23, 2012
This movie is JADED! spectacular, bold and pushing movies to the edge. Filmed in San Francisco the place i love the most, this story is erotic,bizare possiblie guilty of every don't in the rule book of making a movie. thats what i like most its creative side, the womans a pyschologist or is she just a Psycho?
Her husbands niave for a lawyer.
who murdered who? who did what with whom? its a crazy trip from one side of upper Pacific to North Beach area.
August 13, 2012
Totally forgettable thriller thats low on the erotic and high on the generic.
June 11, 2012
I have to say I enjoyed this movie. I've seen it about a dozen times and each time sit and think the kilter could have been any one number of characters.
½ April 14, 2012
very good crime story. crime of passion
½ April 10, 2012
Trashy film trying to be basic instinct. It's mainly the director who lets everything fall apart
½ February 25, 2012
an oldie. from just after high school. I should rewatch this one. it made quite an impression on me then.
½ January 15, 2012
Caruso-Fiorentino wraio didumo!!!
December 12, 2011
Jade is the kind of cinema where the director who has some genuine talent and vision, if not consistently then strong when the iron hits, has to try and make something out of hackwork. Joe Esztherhas may have been well paid during his time in the limelight of the early-mid 90's and had some successes as a writer, but for all of his erotically-charged bizarre flourishes, there was always the air of hackwork in his script, but here the hack comes to roost. This has scintillating plot details and twists - especially, and ludicrously, in the final fifteen minutes where it piles up to ludicrous heights - and not really much soul at all.

Oh sure, there are characters, and they want things and feel betrayals and go about the motions of the script, and there's some dirty sex here and there (mostly caught on grainy voyeuristic radio), but I don't know if I really gave a dam about most of the main characters. The actors are probably trying to, especially David Caruso as he mostly tries to underplay what could have been scenery-chewing times for another actor. But they also are kind of prisoners of a screenplay that is just... I don't know, except that while some of the dialog isn't terrible, some of it is. Some of it made me cringe, and some of it had me laughing.

So why the high rating? Why recommend it even partially? Because Friedkin is still at the helm, and he has fun here. And in ways I wasn't quite expecting. Sometimes he'll just mess with the actors on set - there's a cat that appears in the hallway of where the cops walk around, and I can be pretty sure that wasn't a detail outlined in the script (and it's a fine detail to throw in there). And there is a car chase - roll eyes, again, from Friedkin, can't he do that in his sleep - and it's STILL unique to his world. This time he has some kind of perverse enjoyment with a) having just over-the-top car stunts as cars fly through the air practically on San Fransisco streets, and then going 2 miles an hour in a Chinatown parade where the bcitizens attack both the predator and prey!

What happens then in this story of backstabbing and murder and "deviant" sex and politics and so on, real pulpy - nay, just pot-boiler material - is that the simple style of it, how the direction is oddly elegant and experimental in some small ways, makes what is otherwise crap watchable. Maybe I'll even revisit it at 3 in the morning on cable.