Jagged Edge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jagged Edge Reviews

½ July 11, 2016
I thought I remembered hearing this was supposed to be a smart mystery/thriller, but it ended up being a strong cast stuck in a very cliched story. When I saw in the opening credits that the film was written by Joe Eszterhas who wrote the enjoyably trashy "Basic Instinct" but wrote more clunkers and good films (i.e. "Showgirls," "Jade," "Sliver," or even the overrated "Flashdance"), I figured this would probably not be all that good. Jeff Bridges plays a brash San Francisco newspaper editor who's accused of murdering his wife. Glenn Close plays his defense lawyer. The two then begin to fall for one another. Peter Coyote plays the crusading prosecuting DA, who also running for state office. Part mystery, part courtroom drama. The film kind of works on superficial level, but that's only thanks to the talent of the cast, which also includes Lance Henriksen, James Karen, Brandon Call, Robert Loggia, Michael Dorn, and Leigh Taylor-Young, and the film's crew, which includes sharp and moody photography from Matthew F. Leonetti and a fine score from the great John Barry. Overall, this is a weak script that's made watchable by the quality of production.
June 19, 2016
Newspaper moguls wife ends up dead and he's the prime suspect. Meanwhile, his high powered defense attorney (Glenn Close) falls romantically hard for him but begins to question his true innocence in this gripping suspense tale.
½ February 29, 2016
"Jagged Edge" is part courtroom saga, part romantic drama, and part popcorn thriller, and its potency in each category makes it a piece of diversion savvy in its capacity to tap dance on the senses of the viewer. It stars Glenn Close as Teddy Barnes, a respected defense attorney hired to defend Jack Forrester (Jeff Bridges), a hotshot publisher whose wife (Maria Mayenzet) has been brutally murdered in their secluded beach house. Jack says he's innocent, and we believe him - but the law isn't so convinced, DA Thomas Krasny (Peter Coyote) the one who makes his quick arrest and the one who heads the prosecution.
Teddy's past success rate is high, but things might not be so simple this time around. Years ago, she was involved in a high profile case that has left her hesitant to take on big name clients; Jack is the first she's defended after a long period of self-inflicted isolation. She's skeptical of his innocence - the nature of his wife's death is awfully suspicious, as if it were crafted by a killer trying to throw investigators off track - but the more she gets to know the man she's saving, the more sure she is of his decency. A short time later, the more sure she is of her being in love with him, a torrid affair ensuing as a result. But things can't quite be so novel in an astute nail-biter in the vein of "Jagged Edge," and so we can expect that there's a slight chance that Jack could be the murderer and could just be seducing Teddy to distract her from the truth.
But that's a lot of coulds, and we're never able to land on a solid conclusion because we're so swayed by Jack's likability; he seems too good a guy to be a killer, we tell ourselves, and Close, a plucky, smart heroine, would never be dumb enough to fall under his spell. Or is he a nice guy, or is she too intelligent to go against her best judgment? We go back and forth with such proclamations throughout "Jagged Edge," and that suspenseful unease is what makes it such a remarkable wallop. Its twists and turns are comparable to "Anatomy of a Murder," "Basic Instinct," and one of Hitchcock's few rejects - we've basically seen it all before (the courtroom revelations, the idea that your lover might kill you as soon as they would make love to you), but it's all done supremely well, with acerbity, carnality, and with a backbone of cogent performances.
Directed by Richard Marquand ("Return of the Jedi," "Eye of the Needle") and written by Joe Eszterhas ("Flashdance," "Basic Instinct"), it's all enthralling and neatly galvanic, and I especially like the way Close is at the front-and-center, the men good but only distractions in the scope of the film's entirety. Robert Loggia, as her right-hand man, is an enjoyably grumpy curmudgeon, and Bridges, with his teddy bear ruggedness, is a terrific question mark of a character because we have so many preconceived notions about Bridges already (most of them being positive, heroic). "Jagged Edge" is the sort of spellbinding thriller that keeps us two steps behind its winner of a plot, and I prefer it that way - to never stop guessing, and to never stop wanting to guess, in a whodunit, is a dream, and the film is a humdinger of its kind.
January 15, 2016
kinda predictable thriller
December 12, 2015
Good "did he do it or didn't he do it" murder trial and investigation! And great acting from Close, Bridges, Coyote, and especially Robert Loggia! And I loved the reaction shot of close about the hour mark in the courtroom ( maybe 1 hour 5 min.). Perfect! And, for me, I didn't know until the mask was removed who was under it and who was running up the stairs! I liked that!
December 12, 2015
Neo noir and courtroom drama has man on trial for murder of his wealthy spouse. Film keeps one guessing right through the build up and aftermath of the trial. Familiar cast led by the always reliable Glenn Close.
December 8, 2015
Enjoyable Jeff Bridges thriller.
June 27, 2015
Shocked at how bad this movie is. The film bitches at Glenn Close throughout for being divorced, the plot twists are predictable as possible, and it has the script quality of a TV movie of the week from the 1970's. Ugh.
½ September 10, 2014
This decent courtroom drama and thriller stars Jeff Bridges as a man accused of murdering his wife, and Glenn Close as his attorney, a former prosecutor still hurting from a case in which she put an innocent man behind bars. The cast elevates the material from humdrum to decent. It isn't the best film, but I stayed engaged throughout, and there was a fun twist at the end. The twist was even more fun for me, as I suddenly got the joke ending to a Harvey Bridman episode. Solid though I won't say it is without it's flaws.
May 11, 2014
This would have been interesting if I hadn't figured out the ending 5 minutes into the film. It's good in concept, but a bit too predictable for me. Meh.
May 11, 2014
awesome well crafted thriller
April 25, 2014
Glen Close plays an unethical, client-fucking attorney who defends a newspaper mogul accused of stabbing his wife, then begins to suspect her client after he seduces - after she seduces -after they seduce each other.

Soooo dreadfully Eszterhaz predictable. Saw the end coming 2/3 of the way through. (Which is probably way later than most people -I'm slow.)

Fun Fact: Glen Close actually looks semi-female in this pic. Which is essential for the film to have any credibility, otherwise, who would believe Jeff Bridges would dip his wick in THAT???
April 17, 2014
A very suspenseful movie with first rate acting.
March 26, 2014
Amazing thriller with lots of suspense and great twists. Close-Bridges are, once again, brilliant.
November 5, 2013
I seen it years ago. Will need to see it again to give a proper rating. I do remember the ending├┬░???
July 31, 2013
average. nothing new to see. you are able to calculate the plat before the climax..
June 16, 2013
Okay, anyone remember the third season of Nip/Tuck when everyone pretty much knew who serial killer was, but everyone hoped it was anyone else just for originality sake? Same deal here. It's obvious from the get go who the killer is and you just spend the next hour and forty some odd minutes hoping against hope that in the end it will be someone else...but nope. The person that basically wears the big I AM THE KILLER sign on their forehead IS the killer.

I guess the cast is nice, with basically Loggia the only good character in the flick. Bridges is slimy & smug, Close is a slut and in the end you want to smack the sh*t out of her when she feels so proud for falling for the lies and Coyote is a even more smug and a scumbag of a DA too.

That said the film did fly by, but mostly cause you are hoping you didn't just waste two hours waiting for the obvious...which you have...or will.

So a well made thriller, with the leads being bad people and an obvious ending that a two year old could figure out.
April 30, 2013
The plot itself is as convoluted and confusing as a lot of the Japanse Yazuka/martial arts films are, and near to the end I'd forgotten who half the characters were and what their purpose was. But with action scenes this good, I couldn't have cared less. The first film in the US to receive an 'X' rating solely for its violence, The Streetfighter revels in its over-the-top blood letting, and is all the better for it. Mouthfuls of teeth are knocked out, a skull is shattered in X-ray vision, and the aforementioned castration scene has Chiba gleefully holding the prize possession in the air once it's been removed. Big, stupid, and very gory fun.
½ February 23, 2013
Better than average "been there, done that" kind of film
February 17, 2013
Suspenseful. I'd like to see it again.