Jagged Edge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jagged Edge Reviews

December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
November 14, 2012
good movie, glen close was excellent
September 3, 2012
Good in 1985. Good in 2012. Stands the test of time. Suspenseful. You'll change your mind on the guilt/innocence of Jeff Bridges' character 10 times.
September 3, 2012
Fairly standard Joe Eszterhaus potboiler with brutal murder, big money, and courtroom melodrama all tossed together. Competently made, but that's about it. You can see the plot developments coming quite a ways away. Richard Marquand does well enough, John Barry provides a good score, and Matthew Leonetti shoots in a straight-down-the-middle way.
½ July 22, 2012
A suspenseful thriller/drama, Jagged Edge didn't blow me away but it kept me guessing until the end and it's worth watching if you enjoy murder mysteries.
July 3, 2012
It's painfully predictable, boring and the romance doesn't work. When you know from the beginning what the surprise ending is you can't call a film a thriller. Never the less the actors are all brilliant and the film looks really good.
June 18, 2012
A Bad Idea Even If He's Innocent

I'm going to be giving spoilers here, largely, because I was able to piece together what was going to happen perhaps half an hour in. The performances are enough to make me give this a marginally positive review, but only marginally. The script isn't very good, and I think almost that the urban legend of the changed ending is based on the fact that it would have been a shock if we'd all be wrong about who the killer really was. I'm not sure Robert Loggia deserved an Oscar nomination; to be perfectly honest, I'm only vaguely aware of who Robert Loggia even is. There are three warring performances in this movie; if anyone should have gotten a nomination for Supporting Actor, it's Peter Coyote. However, I think he, too, has been let down by the script, and I think there could have been a much more powerful story had a few minor changes been made.

Page Forrester (Maria Mayenzet) has been raped and murdered in her beach house. Naturally, the first suspect is her husband, Jack (Jeff Bridges), a powerful businessman. This is in part because the first suspect is always the husband. It is also true that the Forresters have a tempestuous relationship, as is well known to most of the people around them. District Attorney Thomas Krasny (Coyote) seems assured of a quick and easy prosecution. For his defense attorney, Jack chooses Teddy Barnes (Glenn Close), though she has not tried a case in some years. This is in no small part because Teddy is a woman, and she knows that it's smart for a man accused of so horrific a crime against his wife to have a woman visibly on his side. Teddy believes he's innocent, too; she keeps getting anonymous messages which lead her to clues. And, because this is a thriller (and written by Joe Eszterhas, no less), Teddy finds herself falling for him.

The first problem I have is that she begins a relationship with him while he is still on trial. It strikes me as a bad choice ethically. It's not that a defense attorney is forbidden from having an emotional connection to the defendant; we see it all the time. Spouses, children, siblings--all nature of family members. However, I also think that's a bad idea. I think the smartest thing is to go into a trial, especially a murder trial, with a certain amount of objectivity. People are notorious for ignoring the obvious when it's regarding people with whom they have an emotional connection. It happens in matters great and small. Therefore, I think it's in the best interests of the client to have a dispassionate person as their attorney, someone who won't just ignore things.

And, of course, Teddy's ignoring quite a lot. Vexingly, much of what she's ignoring seems pretty obvious, though it's also true that some of it won't hold up in court. She's awfully trusting of those anonymous messages. While it's true that she's right to distrust the story after she's heard about the attack on Julie Jensen (Karen Austin of the first couple of seasons of [i]Night Court[/i]), and while it's true that the police were awfully dumb in how they handled that attack, especially if they believed Jack was the killer, shouldn't she be a little more interested in who told her about it? How many people knew about that particular case? How many of them thought it was in her best interests to pass that information on--but didn't have the wherewithal to do their own detective work? Too easy to blame it on the tennis pro; he's his own cliché in this kind of story. If it isn't the husband, it's the lover; fair enough. But other than being Page's lover, what evidence did anyone have against him?

I think we are supposed to cheer the ending, but it wouldn't be necessary if only Teddy had been less stupid. Maybe the reason Jack went out of his way to find her, despite the fact that there were doubtless [i]practicing[/i] high-powered female attorneys in San Francisco, even in 1985, is that he was looking for a woman who would nonetheless be innocent enough to fall for him. The fact that his routine in wooing her seems rehearsed may well be a failing of director Richard Marquand--he directed few enough movies, for all one of them was [i]Return of the Jedi[/i]--but whose ever fault it was, the fact remains that Teddy might have been hoped to notice how rehearsed it was herself. I mean, someone even mentioned it in her hearing, and she didn't get suspicious enough until she found that stupid typewriter; why wasn't he smart enough to get rid of it altogether?
June 3, 2012
a very effective psychological thriller...
June 2, 2012
Probably Joe Eszterhas' strongest mystery. But what really makes this film good is the wonderful, Oscar-nominated performance by Robert Loggia.
April 22, 2012
The film entertains and is quite stylish. I dislike the genre and the ending is predictable.
½ April 3, 2012
glenn was so young and the big lewbowski too...
½ March 19, 2012
The way Jagged Edge opens, showing a heinous murder gives a lot of promise to the film because it's shot in a visually expressive way, very reminiscent of De Palma. Unfortunately what follows is a solid thriller, that never really pushes hard enough on it's emotional themes to become anything beyond just this imitation of a better film. It's primarily a court-room drama where Teddy Barnes (Glenn Close) is called on to be the defendant of Jack Forrester (Jeff Bridges), a rich man who has been accused of murdering his wife. The film gives us a lot of insight into Teddy's character through the past but I think where the film really fails is in it's coverage of the relationship that forms between Jack and Teddy. I think the film needed to really spend more time on the passion which exists between these two individuals, and Teddy's inability to resist her primal desires, even though everything about her character suggests she is well put together. It just needed to be explored on a deeper level which could have made the ending even better. The one thing that Jagged Edge does do quite well is never showing it's hand pertaining to Jack Forrester's guilt or innocence. Throughout the film I definitely found myself flip-flopping on whether he was actually the cold, calculating psychopath which the prosecutor lead me to believe or just a falsely accused man. All the actors do a good job and I particularly enjoyed Peter Coyote's performance as this hard-nosed prosecutor whose harsh demeanor coupled with his constant cigar smoking, made him rather memorable for me. All in all it's a decent thriller that has some great moments but I guess I was just hoping for more...
½ March 14, 2012
Decent 80's legal thriller. Nice plot twists at the end.
January 7, 2012
Dated thriller held together by great performances by Close and Bridges.
½ November 20, 2011
A pretty tight thriller, but Glenn Close's character is kind of disappointing. At least she smartens up and shoots the bad guy at the end. Also, I was half surprised Peter Coyote didn't end up being the killer. I never, ever trust that guy.
PS And don't worry, Glenn Close doesn't actually appear that often in that awful curly 'do in the cover art (her most common hair in the movie is much closer to a Patty Hewes coif), but she does sometimes wear some awful 80s skirt suits during the trial.
½ July 7, 2011
1.5: Pretty pitiful performances, at least through much of the film, especially considering it's Bridges and Close. The script and story are ho-hum, the cinematography makes everything seem artificial and as if even the outdoor scenes were shot in an indoor studio. It just seems like a throwaway, sloppy B-movie. Not that court rooms are normally accurately depicted on screen, but this seems a particularly ludicrous Hollywood portrayal of a murder trial. Things did pick up in the third act and at the conclusion, but not enough to make the picture worthwhile. It could have worked with a different vision guiding it though.
June 8, 2011
"A double tranchant"
May 22, 2011
Tense, entertaining and very well acted!
½ May 21, 2011
Emocionante thriller en que la verdad, literalmente se revela en el último minuto. Gran recomendación de los 80's