Jailhouse Rock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jailhouse Rock Reviews

January 25, 2013
It's in black & white but i still like the movie.
½ January 24, 2013
I am, admittedly, not a huge fan of Elvis. He has just never been my thing, I've always preferred The Beatles and other post-50s rock groups. Even compared to other artists in the 50s, I prefer Chuck Berry to Elvis Presley. So with my lack of enthusiasm for Elvis in mind, I did mostly enjoy watching "Jailhouse Rock". I haven't seen too many Elvis movies really...I sort of saw "Blue Hawaii" and "Viva Las Vegas" when I was much much younger, but I can barely remember them. Here Elvis shows his acting range by playing himself as a rebellious young man who has a terrific lawyer that gets him only 20 months in prison for murder. Once he is out he does his best to rise to fame as a music star. The film's iconic sequence for the title song is pretty much the best part, as it is one of the few Elvis tunes I genuinely like, but the sequence itself is well choreographed. The film is fairly average on the whole, but it is iconic and probably (based purely on what I've heard and barely seen) one of Elvis' best features.
January 5, 2013
definitely for the title song!
December 27, 2012
So-so story, and really just a platform for Elvis Presley's vocal and musical talents. But what talents they are! The music is great and Elvis puts in a convincing performance. Good support from Judy Tyler (especially) and Mickey Shaughnessy.
October 14, 2012
Elvis is just great in his 3rd movie...This does not get full marks because the last 5 mins are pretty shallow...The Jailhouse Rock dance number is a total classic.

"That ain't tactics, honey. That's just the beast in me"
September 16, 2012
One of my favorite songs is sung over and over in this movie!
August 17, 2012
It's definitely one of the much better Elvis flicks, even though it does follow the same formula of Scene-Set up Song- Sing Song- Woo Woman- Next Scene- Set up Song- Sing Song- Woo Women. Elvis's charisma masks this as well as the film's male chauvinistic characteristics. One Last note, Judy Tyler died not long after filming ended, in a car accident with her husband. Elvis was so emotionally hurt, he would never be able to watch the film once released.
June 12, 2012
Great music and a convincing performance by Elvis almost makes you forget the silly plot and the unrealistic look into prison life. Other than that, the title song is still catchy as ever.

Grade: B
June 9, 2012
An enjoyable Musical that shows the rise and fall of a famous musician. It starts like a simple jail film and ends as a heartful film with a message. The life of a rock star is a destructive force that can only be saved love.
June 6, 2012
one of elvis' best movies full of hit songs
March 31, 2012
Fantastic movie musical, even showcasing some great acting talent from The King.
½ February 27, 2012
For me, this is the Elvis Presley film that stands out above the rest.

All the other Elvis movies seem to be very formulaic to me, and while this one contains some of those elements, it's packaged in a way that makes it much fresher to me.

This is probably to do with Mickey Shaughnessy's solid performance, and the killer soundtrack, which contains some of my favourite songs from the King.
½ February 10, 2012
He's the most electrifying king of ALL ENTERTAINMENT. It's his movie debut and he did a fine job. It's a typical Hollywood movie of that time, it's fine and polished and they play the safe game. It's like every other movie from that era but it got Elvis in it, so it's a boost. Kind of intriguing and is exciting for the most of the movie.
jjnxn
½ January 9, 2012
Along with King Creole Elvis' best film, admittingly not a high bar to crest, he is in prime condition and great voice. Very sensual and surrounded by a quality production Elvis turns in a good performance as a surly up and comer. A film with an actual story unlike his later movies like Spinout or Harum Scarum this gives you an idea what kind of actor he might have become if the Colonel had not thrust him into one piece of junk after another. Judy Tyler although her part is limited gives a performs well as a self possessed young woman who helps put Elvis on the road to success, sadly she died in a car wreck before the film's premier.
December 26, 2011
Loved it! Elvis is so cool and a natural for acting.
½ November 9, 2011
Entertaining Presley movie with some of his most famous numbers
October 13, 2011
Jailhouse Rock
Starring Elvis Presley

Jailhouse Rock, gives probably the earlier outlook of Jails business, which although brief yet has got amazing environment, set-design as well as plot lay-out. It perfectly transcends into far greater timely-plotted-scenes. I think together with Flaming Star Presley gives one best performance in this entertaining-film as Vince Everett. I must praise the ever-classic dance-moves and evergreen title-song 'Jailhouse Rock', a dance-move that brought Gene Kelly's applauds for whole dance choreography.
½ August 17, 2011
This is one my favorite Elvis movies. Not only does it have the iconic Jailhouse Rock staging, it also has a story. Elvis plays a jerk and uses everyone around him ini the pursuit of money. He will do anything for money and he does not care who he hurts in order to get it. Oh yeah, and he's a hothead who doesn't run away from a fight. Recipe for disaster and drama. The musical numbers actually break up some of the tension in this one, as opposed to simply showcasing Elvis' singing and dancing abilities, although that's never too hard to watch.
July 11, 2011
It's Elvis --- okay, someday I'll write something more profound. But not today. :D