Jake Speed Reviews

• Feb 17, 2019

Ultimately but not surprisingly Jake Speed was not a success at the Box Office. The film attempts to tap into the spirit of the adventure serial but poor narrative choices as well as poor pacing sabotage what could have been a fun movie. This is especially frustrating as the film has a lot of charm and quirkiness trying to come through and some of the casting, especially Hurt and Christopher does wonders which is why it's such a shame the movie fails as a whole. Jake Speed is an often forgotten movie but while it has imperfections it does prove to be a treasure worth digging up. While a viewer shouldn't expect gold it does offer charm among its rusted edges.

• Jan 03, 2019

80's movie nostalgia kicking in again.

80's movie nostalgia kicking in again.

• Jun 06, 2018

great fun and a suitably nasty turn from John Hury

great fun and a suitably nasty turn from John Hury

• Oct 15, 2014

this movie is a lot of fun.. do not expect much, as it is a really basic 80s action movie.. but its pretty well acted, the action if fun and the soundtrack is by Mark Snow of X-files fame

• Oct 20, 2013

Yet another film which has flashes of Indiana Jones, or maybe, more accurately, Romancing the Stone. Based on pulp comic mens adventure type books, this story follows an adventurer hired to save a woman's sister from white slavery. Much the same set-up as Eaten Alive or even Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death, but none of those movies are at all similar. The humor was for the most part lost on me as I didnt care for the actor delivery of the material (which he, apparently, wrote).

• Dec 14, 2012

The family thinks grandpa has lost his marbles when he suggests enlisting paperback novel character Jake Speed to find a missing family member. Turns out Speed really does exist and saves the day. I would consider this adventure film to be a poor man's Romancing the Stone but also a rich man's Nate & Hayes.

• Sep 25, 2012

One of the few 80s movies that have stuck with me through the years. I have the DVD and every now and then, I break it out and watch a 'good' B movie.

• Jun 07, 2012

Just a few similarities to ROMANCING THE STONE. Action adventure with dimestore paperback hero emerging to help rescue a kidnapped American. Harmless entertainment and a concept with some potential but maybe a step down for an actor the calibre of John Hurt.

• Feb 04, 2012

Such a classic action hero movie. The charcters are meant to be funny btw. You can't take this seriously. When you just go a long for the ride, this movie ends up being so much of a fun adventure, with great lines, awesome characters, a crazy plot, and an epic ending. The story plays off of all the super hero, action hero books. Jake Speed is such a likable character, even though he does it all for money and seems like a silly person, and his sidekick and him are great. Most entertaining movie ever! Movies aren't made like this anymore.

• Mar 23, 2009

It may be a little cheesy, but I love it. Sid is th emost evil villian I have ever seen. Sid is not insane, just evil.