Jakeob-ui jeongseok (Art of Seduction) Reviews

• Dec 09, 2013

One line summary: An almost clever film glorifying the lives of grifters in Korea. ------------------------- The male protagonist Min-jun, and the female protagonist Ji-won, are both manipulative, lying opportunists who use strangers for their own gains. Judging from the first few minutes of the film, I would hope that both of them get the lengthy jail sentences that they so richly deserve. Neither of them succeeds by merit, unless on counts their skills in identifying the weaknesses of their targets and exploiting those weaknesses. They are parasites who regularly commit felonies. In early part of the narrative, we see the depredations of the pair as they act separately on their marks. Eventually they meet one another. She likes to ram stopped cars with single drivers then victimize the person she hit. She pulls that on the male protagonist, and is surprised when he does not fall for her bovine scatology. They lie to each other, then lie some more, then lie some more. The music indicates that this is supposed to be humorous. As the story continues, they have to deal with their previous targets. They also get to like each other, even though they continue constructing plausible lies. Do the protagonists get together and stay together? Does one get the upper hand and crush the other? Stay tuned (if you can stand it) to find out. ------Scores------ Cinematography: 10/10 Excellent with very few exceptions. Sound: y/10 Moot, I suppose. The voiced Korean seemed quite soft. I had to trust the subtitles. Acting: 5/10 More like mugging. There must have been over 100 instances of 'oh, did that idiot believe me?' Screenplay: 5/10 It is a story of (ethically) ugly people doing ugly things to people whom they hold in contempt. When the protagonists get to know one another, they sharpen each other; that is, improve their 'A' game. There is neither redemption nor punishment in this collection of vignettes about con artists.

• Oct 05, 2012

One of the best in its genre

One of the best in its genre

• Jun 20, 2012

only for fans of Song. chemistry between the two is very much lacking, plot is swirly and unfocused. Kudos to them for trying so hard tho.

• May 11, 2012

It was funny, but not something I'd watch multiple times.

It was funny, but not something I'd watch multiple times.

• May 01, 2012

I laughed 3 times, but so annoying and bad

I laughed 3 times, but so annoying and bad

• Apr 11, 2012

Not the most original or brilliant movie, but every time I rewatch it, I laugh as hard as I did the first time I saw it. There is definitely more to it than just a silly romantic comedy.

• Feb 07, 2012

She didn't bring it and the ending was so pathetic. Only good part was hospital scene.

• Jan 03, 2012

A little quirky at points, but didn't really hold my interest for long.

A little quirky at points, but didn't really hold my interest for long.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Nov 09, 2011

This movie is mildly amusing for the first half. Then it slows down tremendously in the last act or so, to the point where it just killed the movie for me. Not that it was bad or anything, it's merely ok. And it had some cute ideas here and there, but they never seemed to materialize into anything all that funny. Plus the character progression is pretty fucking bad here. They go from being dicks to each other to being semi-attracted to each other...and there's no real rhyme or reason for it. It just happens, so it's kind of hard to buy into it when you're not given any real reason why these two should be attracted to each other. There are a couple of scenes where something important happened and the next scene after that everything is fine and there's no mention of what happened. This is obvious in the hospital scene when she poisons the dude and they need a defibrillator to revive the fucker. The next scene is them talking on the phone...making plans, just like that. It always feels like the characters are in the same place they were before, nothing ever seems to change. The two lead are somewhat charming and their hostility is toward each other is the best part of the movie, but it doesn't make the movie better than it is. Again, it's just mildly amusing the lengths these people would go to to keep up this act. This is just your typical romantic comedy, content enough to tread water instead of innovating, but I've seen worse romantic comedies (IE: License to wed).

• Oct 14, 2011