James and the Giant Peach - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

James and the Giant Peach Reviews

October 8, 2016
This is not a great movie, but boy is it creative. The songs are just abysmal though.
September 21, 2016
A Tim Burton-produced Roald Dahl adaptation that does its best to capitalize on the success of The Nightmare Before Christmas via eccentric stop-motion animation. The love that seeped from every pore of Nightmare isn't here, however, and no amount of curious character design can account for that. It doesn't help that the Dahl story itself has been altered to suit a more typical film structure, stripping away much of the free-wheeling zaniness that made the book so unpredictable and entertaining. That can't have been for a lack of time, as the film is already dreadfully short: barely more than an hour, with some serious padding at both ends. The awkward blend of animation and live-action doesn't work especially well, either. Despite one great casting decision (AbFab's Joanna Lumley as the bone-thin, witchy Aunt Spiker), the flesh-and-blood scenes feel under-produced and B-grade, a sharp contrast to the more lush, professional efforts on the other side of the coin. At a glance, the quirky stylings that typify Burton's work seem a great match for Dahl's oddball stories. As a promo slick or movie poster, it's thumbs up all the way, but too much is missing to consider the whole effort as much more than a well-intentioned miss.
September 3, 2016
great movie,stop-motion and music is nice..!!
July 5, 2016
Great animation and a fun film. James and the Giant Peach needs more credit then it deserves. I suggest you see this film.
½ June 29, 2016
This movie is certified fresh? Really? That thing from my childhood that I thought I only still liked because of nostalgia? Well, it is really creative, and it does have a lot of memorable characters. But still, I thought it'd have more like a 56 or 64%.
May 29, 2016
Fairly lame half live action half animated adaptation of the Roald Dahl classic. Joanna Lumley was pretty good in it though.
April 20, 2016
½ April 14, 2016
Loved the animation and real life performance the combination of it is a experience I won't forget!
½ April 2, 2016
So stupid it's funny. Based on the creative and genius book by the Late Roald Dahl, this movie is quite the insult. The songs don't make sense and they should have made it completely Stop-Motion.
March 18, 2016
One of my favs from when I was a child, I would watch odd films like this never princess movies
½ March 13, 2016
It's a good movie with impressive visuals and a unique premise. I enjoyed a lot as a kid and can still enjoy it today.
March 1, 2016
I haven't seen this movie in ages! I Loved this movie but I can't give a rating for this though.
½ February 1, 2016
I didn't like it. It was weird. I'm not saying it was bad, but I just didn't like it. The animation was weird, the live action tone was creepy, the songs were flat, the story didn't make sense, and the characters lacked dimension. I didn't find it fun or enjoyable.
January 29, 2016
When I was Younger back in the day I read this book and watched the movie it was heartwarming and funny the book is as good as the movie. The music is wonderful to hear! It is another children's classic for kids to enjoy.
December 16, 2015
Remember not loving it ...
½ December 11, 2015
James and the Giant Peach boasts remarkable stop-motion animation, but suffers from an unremarkable narrative and a forgettable soundtrack from the usually reliable Randy Newman.
½ November 22, 2015
Crappy movie!
Pointless scenes, non-explained events, forgettable music, and terrible lines.
This movie is just plain awful :P
November 6, 2015
Lovely animation. However unappealing characters, stilted live-action sets, and plenty of kid-film plot cliche's did not draw me in. Songs were boring and/or badly performed. The epilogue was charming, though.
November 1, 2015
Visionary and beautiful in ways that most films never even think to dream of approaching, James is imagination married with visuals with the best of outcomes.